Minnesota Wild General Discussion XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I love how when someone is well paid, it's supposedly ok to "not feel bad" for them when their professional life is coming to an end. Parise's pay has nothing to do with why Russo would feel bad for him. He is a good guy, has been loyal to this organization from what Russo has seen and is likely having to come to grips with the fact he can't play anymore, that's going to be hard no matter the monetary compensation someone receives for their work.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
At this point - going into the playoffs - if there was one player you could put on the roster from last season who is now gone, who would it be? Staal? Donato? Dubnyk? No one?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Meh. His redeeming qualities aren’t make or break and the Khushnuts pick is pretty solid. Bonino is better than him right now.

Yes, I agree, but nobody said we're going back in time and reverting trades. From how it was asked, I gathered that we're just getting a player back that we had last year, for free. The only player I would want back from last year is Kunin.

Also, where is your Badger love? I'm going to remember you throwing Kunin under the bus the next time you talk trash about the Gophers. :)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes, I agree, but nobody said we're going back in time and reverting trades. From how it was asked, I gathered that we're just getting a player back that we had last year, for free. The only player I would want back from last year is Kunin.

Also, where is your Badger love? I'm going to remember you throwing Kunin under the bus the next time you talk trash about the Gophers. :)
Oh, if that’s the case I’d probably take Zucker and Kunin back. Speed is always nice and Kunin would be a decent 3rd or 4th liner.

It’s all aboard the Caufield/Holloway train. I expect them to be vastly better than Kunin.

Reactions: BagHead

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Staal is the only questionable one that you may want back from last year. Issue is you don’t know what sort of presence he was in the room (can’t imagine it was THAT bad) and the lack of speed is something that would be very noticeable on this roster. But he was mostly solid at the dot and would probably be a solid option on one of the PPs.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Whatever happens in the rest of the series, it is good to see Talbot buck the trend developing in the last few weeks of the regular season. We shouldn't need him to be that good every time, hopefully?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Staal is the only questionable one that you may want back from last year. Issue is you don’t know what sort of presence he was in the room (can’t imagine it was THAT bad) and the lack of speed is something that would be very noticeable on this roster. But he was mostly solid at the dot and would probably be a solid option on one of the PPs.

The 2017-2018 Staal would obviously fit the team, but I'm thinking the current Staal could not make this team better. Team looks young, fast and energetic... and that is opposite of what Staal would bring.

Reactions: P10p

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure if anybody did this earlier, but here's the final per-82 game numbers:

Kaprizov: 40g-36a-76p
Fiala: 33g-33a-66p
Zuccarello: 21g-45a-66p
Foligno: 21g-32a-53p
Greenway: 9g-37a-46p
Eriksson Ek: 28g-16a-44p
Bonino: 15g-24a-39p
Spurgeon: 11g-27a-38p
Brodin: 14g-22a-36p
Hartman: 11g-24a-35p
Rask: 15g-20a-35p
Dumba: 10g-24a-34p
Parise: 13g-20a-33p
Soucy: 2g-26a-28p
Sturm: 18g-10a-28p
Suter: 4g-23a-27

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Not sure if anybody did this earlier, but here's the final per-82 game numbers:

Kaprizov: 40g-36a-76p
Fiala: 33g-33a-66p
Zuccarello: 21g-45a-66p
Foligno: 21g-32a-53p
Greenway: 9g-37a-46p
Eriksson Ek: 28g-16a-44p
Bonino: 15g-24a-39p
Spurgeon: 11g-27a-38p
Brodin: 14g-22a-36p
Hartman: 11g-24a-35p
Rask: 15g-20a-35p
Dumba: 10g-24a-34p
Parise: 13g-20a-33p
Soucy: 2g-26a-28p
Sturm: 18g-10a-28p
Suter: 4g-23a-27

I don’t understand how Bonino outpaced Rask... Hartman tied his production too. Rask is just so bad lol.

Really surprised to see Suter’s number so low too. Guess that happens when you’re not playing 1PP.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Long Post Warning

I'm convinced of a few things:

1. GMBG has a heart, and he truly did want to give Rask a chance to continue playing in the NHL because he was so sh*t on by...everyone....BUT...GMBG also isn't some sort of sympathy messiah. He is trying to get every GM, or well at least just a few GM's, convinced that Rask if worth something (and he is, but not much) if not by Rask's play but by the sheer PERSISTENCE of the GM backing him and the coach playing him. Like, if enough people in a crowd point and act happy towards a car they see, some population of the world will also point and look happy.

GMBG has made a year long sale of Rask and it will precipitate a trade or something (Seattle?) this summer.

2. GMBG and the coach shows sympathy for an aging Parise, with much obfuscation around the matter. This is to put a good face on the 'situation' as if it's not artificial, but it is, and both Coach and GM want Parise out of town. They are doing this to half get Parise to ask for a trade on his own accord. They know that one or two teams would be interested. Death by a thousand paper cuts. Of course not playing much recently doesn't help his value. That may not matter at this point.

3. There will be no Eichel trade.

4. Rossi will not only be in the best shape and the strongest he has ever been, he will make our roster. His best attribute, sheer will and drive, will carry him forward and upward.

5. GMBG due to his experience as a player is trying his best to build and keep a true team. Not a collection of players of varying skills and positions, but a team. The thing similar to a unit in war, minus all that extremeness. There is a dynamic to the team that must exist to win. Some call it the 'lockeroom' but it's much more than that. And those who have had it wished it never came to an end. Now, we'll see if this works out. I WILL say this: it has been since 2002-3-4 that I've seen such team elation and 'togetherness' and it's been all season long and I feel like we haven't recognized it enough. The team that beat the aves with Nino's OT winner seemed pretty tight, but it's not quite the same, that team still had some nonalignment to it.

But, it's crazy to see how this team shifted after we traded and didn't sign some of the vets. I truly, truly do not think it was as much a 'personality' problem although I know there were some rifts, and Koivu could rub people the wrong way, but I do think it was a matter of stifling growth and leadership. A shift occurred this year. Ek, Greener at some point confronted that THEY are IT. It's THEM. It's ON THEM. Ek didn't need a shake, but instead simply a vacancy physically and emotionally. Greener needed a shake and a look in the mirror, a come to Jesus moment.

Some times you have to let the youngin's in life prove to themselves, not to you, that they can carry the weight. Even players that aren't young kids anymore like a Hartman needed a shift to really step into his own on the team. It's all a bit incorporeal sometimes. Let the younger ones take over the team, let them self motivate, get hungrier by themselves, and have fun doing it. This can win playoff series when you don't have 'generational' players like a Crosby.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Never so glad to see Koivu gone. The Wild will never achieve anything as long as Suter, Parise and Koivu run the team. It is plain to see that the team believes and sticks up for each other now. That’s the only way they will have success as a team. I’d love to hear what Neidereiter, Coyle, Haula and Zucker would have to say about the team dynamic. Yeo was useless but Boudreau had the same culture. Evason is truly a breath of fresh air who looks like he’s finally changing things for the better.

Everyone talks about Eks development. Well his numbers were what they were because he had no opportunity or responsibility. Now Evason gives players a chance.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Never so glad to see Koivu gone. The Wild will never achieve anything as long as Suter, Parise and Koivu run the team. It is plain to see that the team believes and sticks up for each other now. That’s the only way they will have success as a team. I’d love to hear what Neidereiter, Coyle, Haula and Zucker would have to say about the team dynamic. Yeo was useless but Boudreau had the same culture. Evason is truly a breath of fresh air who looks like he’s finally changing things for the better.

Everyone talks about Eks development. Well his numbers were what they were because he had no opportunity or responsibility. Now Evason gives players a chance.
I think the bigger problem was that there was not an Alpha to reign in Koivu, Suter, and Parise. Koivu would have been just fine as a hard-ass, #2 center. Problem was that he was elevated to the leadership position by necessity. And there was nobody there to tell Suter to quit whining about pairings and minutes, or Parise to chill out and spend more time working on skating instead of talking about gripping the stick too tightly.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Something that I noticed is that the Wild didn't seem to reach out to Koivu after he retired, which was a really, really good thing. The chemistry on this team has really changed, and if we can get Suter and Parise out the door, I think you'll see a massive shift with the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad