Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Salary cap aside, I have no problem with Parise playing on the 4th line. Given a choice between him and Bjugstad, I choose Parise. He's probably one of the best 4th line players in the NHL....just stinks that his cap hit is what it is.
I don’t think he’d play that little of Evason believed he was on of the best 4th liners in the NHL.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don’t think he’d play that little of Evason believed he was on of the best 4th liners in the NHL.

He's still averaging over 14 minutes a game. We'll see where he ends up at season's end. But I'm not sure what can be done next year and beyond unless he volunteers to go on LTIR.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Salary cap aside, I have no problem with Parise playing on the 4th line. Given a choice between him and Bjugstad, I choose Parise. He's probably one of the best 4th line players in the NHL....just stinks that his cap hit is what it is.

Here's the deal with the salary. If he isn't LTIR, it doesn't make any sense to buy him out. The rules for how that affects the cap are such that you are going to get a lot of room in 21-22, but virtually none in the last 3 years of his contact.

I don't understand all the details of the LTIR system, but I think that you have to be in cap compliance, or near to it, at the start of the season, before you can start using it. That could be problematic, depending on how much of his cap hit you actually use.

Here's what I mean. Let's say, just for argument, that you lose Soucy to the ED, and you end up buying out Rask for next year. You are right at the salary cap for 21-22. You like your guys, though. There is no one you want to lose from the roster for 22-23. So, you try to LTIR Parise. The only cushion you have in the cap are going to be the ELC's and Minimum guys you sign to fill the roster. There are maybe 2 forwards and a D of them, although that's a question as well. By the time you extend Greenway (and he is making a good argument that you want to keep him right now), it costs you another couple million, and you are into LTIR range.

I'm not sure how the details work there. It's complicated. But it's not as much of a 'get out of jail free' card as it looks like when you are using it in multiple seasons.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Parise is not one of the best 4th liners in the NHL IMO. I think his high energy levels still give the team a boost but overall he is the clear weakest link on the line with Bonino and Sturm. I think he is neck and neck with Rask as the least effective forward on the roster. Bjugstad, when he is moving his feet like he has been lately, is a more effective player. I like giving him 5-8 minutes a night so he can go all out for those minutes. I think Evason is playing this right.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Parise is the worst forward on the team

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Okay — what the actual f*** is happening? How is this happening?

I have't been able to watch all season long because of TV providers and/or not being able to watch when they're on natty TV. I highlight watch.

How? How is this even happening? How are we 4 pts back of 1st and top 10 in the league?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Okay — what the actual f*** is happening? How is this happening?

I have't been able to watch all season long because of TV providers and/or not being able to watch when they're on natty TV. I highlight watch.

How? How is this even happening? How are we 4 pts back of 1st and top 10 in the league?
The team's good and adding good goaltending and some high-end offensive talent has had the effect that we hoped it would. Plus we seem to match up pretty well against the teams in the West and haven't really had a bad stretch. The powerplay was awful, but we were good enough 5v5 ot make up for it; then we started to look shaky 5v5 and the powerplay caught fire. The usual things have gone wrong, they just haven't all gone wrong at once for like 3 weeks straight, which seems to be what usually happens.

Still hard to tell what to take away from the standings and overall records this year, but you add even one top-6 center to this team...

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
well in russos latest article, he stated guerin hopes to resign bonino in the offseason. So i think if he does you can pretty much assume we are running rossi-ek-sturm-bonino next year.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The team's good and adding good goaltending and some high-end offensive talent has had the effect that we hoped it would. Plus we seem to match up pretty well against the teams in the West and haven't really had a bad stretch. The powerplay was awful, but we were good enough 5v5 ot make up for it; then we started to look shaky 5v5 and the powerplay caught fire. The usual things have gone wrong, they just haven't all gone wrong at once for like 3 weeks straight, which seems to be what usually happens.

Still hard to tell what to take away from the standings and overall records this year, but you add even one top-6 center to this team...
I mean, people don’t argue that Vegas or Colorado are certainly top teams in the league. But, as soon as people bring up the Wild it’s chalked up to an easy schedule. But... we have the same schedule as those two good teams and are clearly much closer to that tier than the bottom tier of teams. I don’t really get the argument against us. Sure, our points are probably inflated a bit. But so then are Colorado and Vegas’. Even if you say that we would only get 90% of our points playing a regular schedule, that’s still 101 point pace for us and a 106 and 107 point pace for Colorado and Vegas, respectively. This is a top 10 team in the league. Add in some top 6 centers and we’re legit contenders.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
well in russos latest article, he stated guerin hopes to resign bonino in the offseason. So i think if he does you can pretty much assume we are running rossi-ek-sturm-bonino next year.
Bonino’s been playing the wing a lot so I don’t think that would mean that.

Reactions: GuerinUp

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
well you have hartman signed also... so if boldy is joining and we dont lose greenway-foligno that pretty much is your lineup
Kaprizov-xxx-Zuccarello
Boldy-xxx-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Greenway
Bonino-Sturm-Hartman

is probably what they’d be rolling with

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean, people don’t argue that Vegas or Colorado are certainly top teams in the league. But, as soon as people bring up the Wild it’s chalked up to an easy schedule. But... we have the same schedule as those two good teams and are clearly much closer to that tier than the bottom tier of teams. I don’t really get the argument against us. Sure, our points are probably inflated a bit. But so then are Colorado and Vegas’. Even if you say that we would only get 90% of our points playing a regular schedule, that’s still 101 point pace for us and a 106 and 107 point pace for Colorado and Vegas, respectively. This is a top 10 team in the league. Add in some top 6 centers and we’re legit contenders.
I doubt the overall standings are affected that much, just that the point totals aren't an apples-to-apples comparison when this year's schedule is shorter and isolated. I don't think we're far off Vegas or Colorado this year, but we do historically have Vegas' number for whatever reason. When all your regular season games are against the same 7 teams and you're only playing 52 games, something like that can affect the "normal season" point projections by 10-ish points. Like I would not expect us to go 5-2 against every Vegas-caliber team in the league, but I would against Vegas.

My take is that this is a top-10 team and in a regular season they'd end up with closer to 100 points. Ultimately I don't think it matters all that much, though. The To-Do List for this offseason is the same either way.

Edit: I should add that I think the above applies to Vegas and Colorado, too. I don't think they'd have 0.72 point percentages in a regular year, either.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kaprizov-xxx-Zuccarello
Boldy-xxx-Fiala
Foligno-Ek-Greenway
Bonino-Sturm-Hartman

is probably what they’d be rolling with
Rask and Parise are still getting paid, so they will get at least some TOI. As good as the GREEF line is, they might have to break them up. Move JEE up to a top six C, Sturm in between Greenway and Foligno, because his game fits the 3C profile. Rask, Hartman, and Parise on the 4th....I don't like it, but it's a fourth line, and Parise isn't going anywhere. I don't see where Bonino is a need, with Sturm , Rask, and even Hartman being bottom six C's....unless we get Bonino real cheap.

Reactions: BagHead and MuckOG

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If they pass on getting Kap, Fiala and Ek locked up for more years, to save money for re-signing Bonino, I’ll be pretty disappointed. I have no idea where we’d fit his salary otherwise.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If they pass on getting Kap, Fiala and Ek locked up for more years, to save money for re-signing Bonino, I’ll be pretty disappointed. I have no idea where we’d fit his salary otherwise.
Dumba to Seattle. It is looking more and more likely. Unless Parise graciously LTIR retires.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Where Dumba's salary was...

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Poor Parise, he only gets 7-8 minutes a game these days. Im pretty sure he's pissed.
And people want him to waive for the expansion draft? :DD

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Kaprisov : 8M
Rossi: .93M
Zucca: 6M
Boldy: .9M
Sturm: .73M
Fiala: 6.5M
Greenway: 2.1M
EEK: 4.5M
Foligno: 3.1M
Parise: 7.5M
Hartman: 1.7M
Rask: 1.3M
41.1M with 2 spots left (Rask = buyout)

Spurgeon: 7.6M
Suter: 7.5M
Brodin: 6M
Dumba (ED)
Soucy: 2.75M
Menell: 1.5M (?)
Addison: .9M
Depth guy 2M
28.1M

Goalies:
Talbot: 3.67M
Kaakonen: .73M
4.4M

Total = 75.2M with 2Fs and a G yet to sign. In fact, you don't have to buyout Rask if you can't find anyone better (??), and you save 1.3M the next year.

There is room here for Bonino - he's not signing again for more than 2.5M.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Rask and Parise are still getting paid, so they will get at least some TOI. As good as the GREEF line is, they might have to break them up. Move JEE up to a top six C, Sturm in between Greenway and Foligno, because his game fits the 3C profile. Rask, Hartman, and Parise on the 4th....I don't like it, but it's a fourth line, and Parise isn't going anywhere. I don't see where Bonino is a need, with Sturm , Rask, and even Hartman being bottom six C's....unless we get Bonino real cheap.

GREEF line, huh? Like 'grief', which is what they give their opponents. Much improved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad