Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
With Parise being relegated to 4th line and his ice time cut dramatically (and being vocal with his unhappiness), I'm wondering if its more likely that he'll waive his NMC with the hope that Seattle does select him and give him a more prominent role.

Reactions: Blue Ox

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Has he been vocal?

No. He was asked a question about his reduced role, and he gave an honest and professional response that's turned into "vocal about his unhappiness".

"It has been frustrating," Parise said. "It's been pretty unique where my role has definitely changed here, not being on the power play and not playing as much. It's a bit of an adjustment. That's definitely been challenging.
"At that point, you just try to make the most of what you're getting and when you are called upon to go out there, try to make an impact in any way that you can."

"You don't really have a choice but to accept it," said Parise, who has led the Wild in goals for five seasons since signing a 13-year, $98 million contract in 2012. "You just accept what you're given and do your best when you are out there. Most importantly, too, is [to] practice the right way and work on my game as much as I can so if there is an opportunity to get on the power play, or there is an opportunity to get out there more, I'm ready to go."

So the TL/DR is "it's been frustrating, but all I can do is work hard and work on my game and try to make an impact when I can".

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
No. He was asked a question about his reduced role, and he gave an honest and professional response that's turned into "vocal about his unhappiness".

So the TL/DR is "it's been frustrating, but all I can do is work hard and work on my game and try to make an impact when I can".

I didn't mean to come off as he was bitter or anything like that....just that he's unhappy with his new role and that (this is where I speculate) he might be more agreeable to a change of scenery that allows him more of a prominent role.....not that I think Seattle would take him, but that's not the point. The point is to get him to waive his NMC so that others can be protected...and his "diminished role" might persuade him to do so.

"It has been frustrating," Parise said. "It's been pretty unique where my role has definitely changed here, not being on the power play and not playing as much. It's a bit of an adjustment. That's definitely been challenging.

Zach Parise finds role with Wild diminished

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I didn't mean to come off as he was bitter or anything like that....just that he's unhappy with his new role and that (this is where I speculate) he might be more agreeable to a change of scenery that allows him more of a prominent role.....not that I think Seattle would take him, but that's not the point. The point is to get him to waive his NMC so that others can be protected...and his "diminished role" might persuade him to do so.

Zach Parise finds role with Wild diminished
Something every player who was a prominent top 6 player goes through as they age out. Nobody "enjoys" demotion or diminished roles.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The point is to get him to waive his NMC so that others can be protected...and his "diminished role" might persuade him to do so.

My hope is that Guerin gets Zuccarello and Suter to waive their NMCs, especially Suter. Then the Wild can do the 7/3 without any issues.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My hope is that Guerin gets Zuccarello and Suter to waive their NMCs, especially Suter. Then the Wild can do the 7/3 without any issues.
Not going to happen. It's highly likely Zuccarello will get chosen if he waives, and a decent chance Suter will. The only reason that Parise waiving makes sense is because he will have the self awareness to realize that he likely won't get picked by Seattle, especially if we send something like a 6th rounder to ensure that.

Reactions: Bazeek

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Not going to happen. It's highly likely Zuccarello will get chosen if he waives, and a decent chance Suter will. The only reason that Parise waiving makes sense is because he will have the self awareness to realize that he likely won't get picked by Seattle, especially if we send something like a 6th rounder to ensure that.

Plus, losing Suter or Zuccarello right now is not what we want to happen. Whereas if Seattle actually took Parise, we wouldn't be hurting too badly.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's very early in the season, but Beckman is second on his team in scoring, with 7pts. in 8gp. Is averaging about 7 shots per game, so he is bound to start popping in a few more goals.. Also has averaged 8 FO/g, and won 50% of them. Not bad for a non Center. Spokane has had a very slow start, so that might affect his numbers this year.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
It's almost as if the only person that didn't envision how this was going to end for Parise was Parise. It's getting kinda sad watching him hustle as fast as he can into the corner, throw himself at the boards and then watch the puck smoothly and easily head back up the ice as he is still trying to leave the corner.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I don't understand why he doesn't atleast try the center role. He's a decent skater when he isn't having to stop battle and accelerate multiple times in his shift.

Hell he'd likely touch the puck more and get open alot easier.

Just saying. Adapt or die.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

If Zuccarello is selected, I don't think Minnesota will care. It gets them out of the contract. Though does Zuccs want to move? Probably not, just saying it's a hope.

Suter probably won't get picked. He's over 35, slowing down and has a high cap hit in a flat cap world. Suter is on pace to have one of his worst seasons since his sophomore season. I don't foresee Seattle pouncing on that, especially with 4+ years to boot.

Plus, losing Suter or Zuccarello right now is not what we want to happen. Whereas if Seattle actually took Parise, we wouldn't be hurting too badly.

Minnesota's strength has always been defense. Even having Soucy move up a bit for that 3rd/4th pairing isn't bad at all. I don't see Suter getting selected though at all, which is why he should waive. But if he is selected, it's not going to hurt Minnesota as much.

Furthermore, if Minnesota wanted to, they could snag a FA defenseman this season and not have that massive cap hit.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Suter probably won't get picked. He's over 35, slowing down and has a high cap hit in a flat cap world. Suter is on pace to have one of his worst seasons since his sophomore season. I don't foresee Seattle pouncing on that, especially with 4+ years to boot.
Whatever arguments there are for or against taking Suter it's a credible possibility. As long as that's the case I wouldn't expect him to waive.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Whatever arguments there are for or against taking Suter it's a credible possibility. As long as that's the case I wouldn't expect him to waive.

What credible possibility is there to select a 36 year old defenseman coming off his worse year since his sophomore season with a NMC and 7.5 million + contract - even more so a left - defenseman. Looking at mock drafts, Kraken have a chance at guys like Caleb Jones, Devon Toews, Jake Bean, Travis Dermott, Shatternkirk, Miller, Murphy, Stetcher. Guys on expiring deals or teams that are loaded with talent that can't protect a young defenseman.

Doesn't make sense to me to lose Greenway, Soucy or Dumba by not at least exposing Suter.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What credible possibility is there to select a 36 year old defenseman coming off his worse year since his sophomore season with a NMC and 7.5 million + contract - even more so a left - defenseman. Looking at mock drafts, Kraken have a chance at guys like Caleb Jones, Devon Toews, Jake Bean, Travis Dermott, Shatternkirk, Miller, Murphy, Stetcher. Guys on expiring deals or teams that are loaded with talent that can't protect a young defenseman.

Doesn't make sense to me to lose Greenway, Soucy or Dumba by not at least exposing Suter.
It really depends on how they're building the team, but even a declining Suter's a good top-4 defenseman, and he's exactly the sort of partner a new team would probably like to mentor younger players. His contract's large but they start with zero bad contracts so I don't know how big a deal that is.

Not saying they'd definitely take him, but the chances are way higher than they would be with Parise.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter also only gets paid 10M over the final 4 years of his contract.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t think we want to get out of Zuccarello’s contract.

That's true. Also he doesn't want to move from the state of hockey, just bought a house here.

And Kaprizov really wouldn't like to lose Zucc who speaks a little Russian and they hang out together.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
That's true. Also he doesn't want to move from the state of hockey, just bought a house here.

And Kaprizov really wouldn't like to lose Zucc who speaks a little Russian and they hang out together.

Nobody cares if he speaks Russian. He can’t do it fluently enough to make a difference plus KK can speak English just fine.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
20210411_225337.jpg

Did the wild clinch?

Reactions: Val

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Not mathematically.

Those are model based, and they suggest the chances over thousands of simulations of us missing is basically nothing

So like that one year they were 99.9% certain to make it and they dropped like the last 10 games to miss it by a point lol.

Here is hoping they finish out strong though. Would be nice to actually make a decent splash in the playoffs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad