Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I don’t think Cole is as bad as represented. He’s an alright #6 right now who can at times give you a little more. But I’m trying to envision what an acceptable new deal to him would look like and why that would benefit the Wild in any way.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Wouldn't the best case scenario being he is resigned to a much cheaper deal (no more than 2mil a year) and then takes Hunt's role as a 7th/end of the bench guy. I mean either way this goes in expansion I'd be looking to slide him down the lineup next year.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Wouldn't the best case scenario being he is resigned to a much cheaper deal (no more than 2mil a year) and then takes Hunt's role as a 7th/end of the bench guy. I mean either way this goes in expansion I'd be looking to slide him down the lineup next year.
In theory, yes. I suppose that would be ideal.
However, I doubt he's going to want to sign with a team that promises him that role versus signing with any other team where he could play regularly on the bottom pair.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

$2 million is too much for a 7th.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
$2 million is too much for a 7th.
Is it though? Covid shows that sports are changing, can't just rely on your top 18 players to be available all season. Plus I feel like you're kinda splitting hairs because what is 1.5 fine? Hunt has played a 1/3 of the games this year (Makes what 700k) and I would gladly double his salary to get someone who isn't him in that spot. Doesn't make a difference either way. And to respond to @Minnewildsota apparently there are 15 Coles available on the first day of free agency can't see it being much of an issue. Again my point is Cole goes down the lineup next year, not up, regardless of expansion.

Pre draft
Brodin - Dumba
Suter - Spurgeon
Soucy - Mennell/Addison
Cole

post draft
Brodin - Spurgeon
Suter - Mennell
Soucy - Addison
Cole

or

Brodin - Dumba
Suter - Spurgeon
Cole - Mennell/Addison
x

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is it though? Covid shows that sports are changing, can't just rely on your top 18 players to be available all season. Plus I feel like you're kinda splitting hairs because what is 1.5 fine? Hunt has played a 1/3 of the games this year (Makes what 700k) and I would gladly double his salary to get someone who isn't him in that spot. Doesn't make a difference either way. And to respond to @Minnewildsota apparently there are 15 Coles available on the first day of free agency can't see it being much of an issue. Again my point is Cole goes down the lineup next year, not up, regardless of expansion.

Pre draft
Brodin - Dumba
Suter - Spurgeon
Soucy - Mennell/Addison
Cole

post draft
Brodin - Spurgeon
Suter - Mennell
Soucy - Addison
Cole

or

Brodin - Dumba
Suter - Spurgeon
Cole - Mennell/Addison
x

In our cap position, yes.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
A bit surprising, although if some of those other teams got to play Anaheim, LA, San Jose and Arizona this many times they'd probably put up even more points.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
A bit surprising, although if some of those other teams got to play Anaheim, LA, San Jose and Arizona this many times they'd probably put up even more points.
Yeah, I won't lie, this schedule was heavily front-loaded for wins, and has created something of an aberration when it comes to stats regarding the Wild. The last part of it will be tough, especially April 1st through April 12th. And then 6 of our last 8 are against St. Louis or Las Vegas.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Guerin recap:

• Guerin is on the phone but he can't tell us who with (timing would work nicely for Philadelphia, but also could be anyone but Philadelphia)
  • Guerin is "very comfortable" with this current group of players right now, will take something special/right price to disrupt this (has to make sense longer term)
  • Talks with Theofanus were very preliminary, nothing at all to report about a Kaprizov extension (Guerin would obviously prefer long term, but he thinks it's important to consider player wants and concerns i.e. he's probably not going to strong arm Kaprizov into a team friendly contract)
  • Guerin has spoken to Boldy's agent, but not Boldy himself, nothing to report on a contract, sounds like they think he's ready but have to make sure, other concern is burning a year, nothing to report there yet
  • Guerin confirms interest in Kiersted but won't comment further to respect Kiersted and his privacy and the process
  • Parise won't return on the road trip, point blank
  • Rossi is doing very well
  • Wild players have not yet begun to get vaccinated

That was basically it for the highlights. Basically a whole lot of GM speak and empty words.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Guerin recap:

• Guerin is on the phone but he can't tell us who with (timing would work nicely for Philadelphia, but also could be anyone but Philadelphia)
  • Guerin is "very comfortable" with this current group of players right now, will take something special/right price to disrupt this (has to make sense longer term)
  • Talks with Theofanus were very preliminary, nothing at all to report about a Kaprizov extension (Guerin would obviously prefer long term, but he thinks it's important to consider player wants and concerns i.e. he's probably not going to strong arm Kaprizov into a team friendly contract)
  • Guerin has spoken to Boldy's agent, but not Boldy himself, nothing to report on a contract, sounds like they think he's ready but have to make sure, other concern is burning a year, nothing to report there yet
  • Guerin confirms interest in Kiersted but won't comment further to respect Kiersted and his privacy and the process
  • Parise won't return on the road trip, point blank
  • Rossi is doing very well
  • Wild players have not yet begun to get vaccinated

That was basically it for the highlights. Basically a whole lot of GM speak and empty words.

Not cool

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Strib had an interview with an executive for Bally Sports North. He said everything is changing, new music, new graphics packages, new logo.

I did some searching and found a mockup of what games will look like, comments made by someone from Bally in the mockup article said they think the ticker/bottom bar is pointless now since everyone has phones.

The mockup shows the scorebug moved to the bottom and combined with the ticker, they say they designed it with betting in mind:
Bally-Sports-North-Twins-Score-Bar.png

One of the main things I hate about present-day TV is everyone still designs their overlays taking into account overscan from tube TV's which leads to the dead space that isn't used below the bottom bar.
TV manufactures in turn continue to ship their TV's with the default picture mode "zoomed in" to crop the image and eliminate the dead space. We are losing 10% of our screen space accommodating for an obsolete technology.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Strib had an interview with an executive for Bally Sports North. He said everything is changing, new music, new graphics packages, new logo.

I did some searching and found a mockup of what games will look like, comments made by someone from Bally in the mockup article said they think the ticker/bottom bar is pointless now since everyone has phones.

The mockup shows the scorebug moved to the bottom and combined with the ticker, they say they designed it with betting in mind:
Bally-Sports-North-Twins-Score-Bar.png

One of the main things I hate about present-day TV is everyone still designs their overlays taking into account overscan from tube TV's which leads to the dead space that isn't used below the bottom bar.
TV manufactures in turn continue to ship their TV's with the default picture mode "zoomed in" to crop the image and eliminate the dead space. We are losing 10% of our screen space accommodating for an obsolete technology.

I’m glad they’ve got sports betting in mind for a market that can’t sports bet. :laugh:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Any chance we break up Zucc - Rask- Kaprizov next game? I haven't been impressed with Rask lately. I want to see if someone different can jog up the Zucc and Kaprizov magic again.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Rask is a problem, but Zucc & Kap are being checked all the time, and it wears them down. Sharks attacked Zucc over and over again. They pushed, tripped and hooked him, but the refs ignored it. Zucc & Kap need a big physical guy in the middle who can help them out. Wouldn't Eriksson Ek be a better option?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Rask is a problem, but Zucc & Kap are being checked all the time, and it wears them down. Sharks attacked Zucc over and over again. They pushed, tripped and hooked him, but the refs ignored it. Zucc & Kap need a big physical guy in the middle who can help them out. Wouldn't Eriksson Ek be a better option?

Or maybe Greenway?

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Any chance we break up Zucc - Rask- Kaprizov next game? I haven't been impressed with Rask lately. I want to see if someone different can jog up the Zucc and Kaprizov magic again.
Rask was never impressive. Rask had the luck of being the 3rd wheel on that line and benefited from the play of Kaprisov and Zucc.

The question I would ask is who's playing in Rask's spot? Now that Johannson and Fiala are playing well together that doesn't leave much as to who can fit in with Kap/Zucc. I think we need to ride out the remaining games with Rask and look for a couple of good centers (younger/faster/more skilled) that can play with Kap next year.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Or maybe Greenway?
I don't remember the Greenway at center thing really working too well, as he does his best work along the boards, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to giving it another shot. I mean, he can't be worse at draws than Rask, and is definitely stronger on the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->