Minnesota Wild General Discussion XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Nah. Use this weird season to get him at a good number.
Yeah, this year is probably proving that he won't be the superstar we were hoping for, but get him some linemates and he's still a 1st line player.

The Wild are probably more talented than they've ever been, but they're still not even close to being in a position to dump skilled players just because they aren't perfect.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Trade Fiala is you can get value. 15 points and -2.
I don’t think management can be happy with his play.
Seems like that has a ton of potential to backfire. But, you’re a pretty “what have you done lately for me” fan so it makes sense.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Kierstad doesn't bother me nearly as much as the talk about extending Cole

Yep. Kierstad is probably the prize of an underwhelming undrafted group. A nice piece if you can just get it for signing an entry level deal.

Re-signing Cole is nonsensical so of course this front office will do it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kierstad doesn't bother me nearly as much as the talk about extending Cole

I don't really mind extending Cole as long as he takes a pretty significant pay cut. He's a 32 year old bottom pair defenseman, and he's fine at that role, but he needs to be paid like one.

I also wouldn't care about signing Kiersted, I was just being kind of facetious about the fact that Boldy isn't signed yet.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can see in my crystal ball though that Guerin is going to give Cole something like 3.5-4M because "character" and "leadership" and "experience"

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't really mind extending Cole as long as he takes a pretty significant pay cut. He's a 32 year old bottom pair defenseman, and he's fine at that role, but he needs to be paid like one.

I also wouldn't care about signing Kiersted, I was just being kind of facetious about the fact that Boldy isn't signed yet.
I don't care much if Cole comes back or not, but guys like him are not who you spend your time on during the season. There will be 15 Ian Coles available on the 1st day of free agency

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's when it comes to trades and free agency that I worry about how Guerin learned everything he knows from a guy who will do whatever it takes (read: overpay drastically) for "his" guys.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Re-signing Cole is the 3rd leg in a 'trade Dumba + lose Soucy in the ED +' equation.

Makes very little sense to me to do it now (or soon), but so did the timing of Foligno's extension.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Re-signing Cole is the 3rd leg in a 'trade Dumba + lose Soucy in the ED +' equation.

Makes very little sense to me to do it now (or soon), but so did the timing of Foligno's extension.

Yeah, sounds like to Guerin it's the first leg in a 'sign Cole+give Dumba to Seattle for free' equation

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

If they lose both Dumba and Soucy, then they're going to need to find somebody a hell of a lot better than Cole

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If they lose both Dumba and Soucy, then they're going to need to find somebody a hell of a lot better than Cole

On the 3rd pair? Maybe, but I'm not anticipating a whole lot of high quality at that spot.

What they're going to NEED is for Menell to be a player.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
On the 3rd pair? Maybe, but I'm not anticipating a whole lot of high quality at that spot.

Yes. Ian Cole is a Nate Prosser level player. But I'm sure he's a great guy

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Either him or Addison. Both is a plus.

I wonder if Guerin knows Soucy would be taken if he went 4+4, and would rather have Soucy-Cole as the bottom pair and Brodin-Menell as the middle pair, than get a return for Dumba, have Soucy get taken, and have Addison on the bottom pair.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The giant hole at center is only slightly negated by how well they can defend and how good their top four is to keep them in/win games.

Blow up the defensive core and re-sign Cole to non-bottom pair money without a plan to address the elephant in the room is a pretty sound recipe to put the heat on your seat. Even more so when the team is having a unexpected year in contrast to where they would be next year with that outcome.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The giant hole at center is only slightly negated by how well they can defend and how good their top four is to keep them in/win games.

Blow up the defensive core and re-sign Cole to non-bottom pair money without a plan to address the elephant in the room is a pretty sound recipe to put the heat on your seat. Even more so when the team is having a unexpected year in contrast to where they would be next year with that outcome.

Which is why it's immensely stupid to let Seattle just take Dumba in an effort to keep guys like Foligno and Greenway. I'm still not sure if Russo actually has insider knowledge on that situation, but if he does, I'm very concerned about Guerin. If he doesn't, I'm very concerned about Russo.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Soucy and the top 4 might make him look like it. How did he do when he was asked to be the better player on the 3rd pair?

Well, in 2.5 of those games, the entire team was getting trucked by Colorado and St. Louis. The other two against Anaheim, the games don't seem to be all that bad, unless I'm missing something obvious.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well, in 2.5 of those games, the entire team was getting trucked by Colorado and St. Louis. The other two against Anaheim, the games don't seem to be all that bad, unless I'm missing something obvious.
March 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->