Minnesota Wild General Discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Sometimes you just need someone steady. Fiala, Parise, and Dumba provide the fire. Beliveau and Crosby are two of the best captains I've ever seen, and they are/were pretty calm, composed guys.
The main thing is that the team listens to, and respects them. Koivu had that quality.

crosby is NOT passive lol. Hes calm and collected in interviews, but watch him on the ice. Always yelling and getting under opposing teams skins. same with koivu. couldnt speak on the other you mentioned

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Russo talked about the process used to pick a captain in the latest worst seats in the house podcast however, I barely listened. I think it was input from both players and coaching staff though.

On the Wild fan poll for the athletic I voted rotating As until someone emerges. I wouldn't hate Spurgeon getting it though since Russo always acts like he is the first to reach out to new players and that seems like one of the big responsibilities of the Captain.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Some thoughts on Rossi, Kaprizov, Fiala from Cam Robinson at Dobber:

Minnesota is in an interesting position. They’re an older team (albeit a bit younger for this coming season). But they’re undoubtedly going to be attempting a playoff run. At the same time, they do not have a top-line centre. They have, what appears to be, four bottom-six centre options in Joel Eriksson-Ek, Marcus Johansson, Nick Bonino, and Victor Rask. That’s no bueno.

What they do have is a rockstar of a prospect who fell into their laps at ninth overall this past draft.

I’m of the mind that the Wild should absolutely hand the keys to the kingdom to the 19-year-old Marco Rossi. Pair Rossi up with fellow rookie, Kirill Kaprizov and Kevin Fiala and see what’s up. Those three will be an incredible fast, offensive and creative line. Will they take it on the chin some nights, especially on the road? Yup, they will. Is that okay? Yes, it is.

Minny will have three other lines that could be deemed ‘shutdown’ types. They don’t have the horses to spread it out and hope to score by committee. They need their talent to shine. If it’s me running things, I put them all together.

Hot Take: If this does come to fruition – which I think there is a very real chance of happening, then I’m ready to say that Rossi and Kaprizov will outscore every other rookie in the league. Yes, that includes Alexis Lafreniere.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Some thoughts on Rossi, Kaprizov, Fiala from Cam Robinson at Dobber:

Minnesota is in an interesting position. They’re an older team (albeit a bit younger for this coming season). But they’re undoubtedly going to be attempting a playoff run. At the same time, they do not have a top-line centre. They have, what appears to be, four bottom-six centre options in Joel Eriksson-Ek, Marcus Johansson, Nick Bonino, and Victor Rask. That’s no bueno.

What they do have is a rockstar of a prospect who fell into their laps at ninth overall this past draft.

I’m of the mind that the Wild should absolutely hand the keys to the kingdom to the 19-year-old Marco Rossi. Pair Rossi up with fellow rookie, Kirill Kaprizov and Kevin Fiala and see what’s up. Those three will be an incredible fast, offensive and creative line. Will they take it on the chin some nights, especially on the road? Yup, they will. Is that okay? Yes, it is.

Minny will have three other lines that could be deemed ‘shutdown’ types. They don’t have the horses to spread it out and hope to score by committee. They need their talent to shine. If it’s me running things, I put them all together.

Hot Take: If this does come to fruition – which I think there is a very real chance of happening, then I’m ready to say that Rossi and Kaprizov will outscore every other rookie in the league. Yes, that includes Alexis Lafreniere.

that would be quite the line

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I can’t see them putting two rookies on a line against the other teams top line. At least not right away.

The coach can earn his paycheck to. You don't need to put them vs other teams top lines. That's why you have JEE and Bonino. Sure they'll get some unfavorable matchups on the road where you can't dictate as much, but it'll balance out.

Kaprizov isn't a typical rookie either. He's been playing against men for 5 years, many of them with NHL experience.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I would like to see all 3 of them play together on the same PP unit.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
time to offer sheet cirelli?

9bMwaUS.jpg

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
time to offer sheet cirelli?

Nope. No way to clear the cap anymore.

The time to offer sheet Cirelli was mid October after Kahkonnen settled his arb case, and the Wild could have shed the requisite 5.5 million in cap by buying out Rask and Johansson.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Nope. No way to clear the cap anymore.

The time to offer sheet Cirelli was mid October after Kahkonnen settled his arb case, and the Wild could have shed the requisite 5.5 million in cap by buying out Rask and Johansson.

we can spend up to 10% over before the training camp, and trade salary

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
On the new Russo podcast I got the impression, not surprisingly, that Parise wasn’t a huge fan of Boudreau towards the end there.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
On the new Russo podcast I got the impression, not surprisingly, that Parise wasn’t a huge fan of Boudreau towards the end there.
On addition it sounds like the team is liking the direction the coaching staff is going.

Honestly the pod made me a little more easy on Dean. I know the Wild were put into a weird situation where they pretty much needed to extend him. Maybe they are on to something.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm sure Guerin Was tempted to get a higher profile coach, but with the mess that the 20-21 season is going to be, and the transitive state the team is in, we are probably just as good sticking with Evason. We could have Scotty Bowman coaching the team and it wouldn't make much difference with the goaltending and forward defiencies we have.

Reactions: HotDish

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Russo talked about the process used to pick a captain in the latest worst seats in the house podcast however, I barely listened. I think it was input from both players and coaching staff though.

On the Wild fan poll for the athletic I voted rotating As until someone emerges. I wouldn't hate Spurgeon getting it though since Russo always acts like he is the first to reach out to new players and that seems like one of the big responsibilities of the Captain.
He is always the first one to reach out if you listen to new players or draft picks they ask have you heard from somebody from the team the first name that always comes up is Spurgeon you do not have to be Russo to know that all you have to do is listen to new players interviews it’s not like it’s inside information of something he just knows.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Spurgeon is picked over Suter then it will be a shot across the bows for Suter, and a sign that his influence on the team is on the wane.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Parise will wear the C. Not that I think he should, but he will.

He's already captained the Devils and Olympic team. That alone gives cover to Guerin to make the decision.

I'm guessing Spurgeon will wear the other "A" along with Suter.

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
If Spurgeon is picked over Suter then it will be a shot across the bows for Suter, and a sign that his influence on the team is on the wane.
You know you are the only one I’ve really seen that thinks Suter will get it. I’m nit saying you are wrong dine at this point everyone is speculating.

Russo seems to think it will be Spurgeon. Of course I don’t think he really knows but he does seem to have his ear closer to the ground than most.

I think Parise is the dark horse. Captained both international and Devils like @MuckOG said.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

The guy that really wants it the most is Foligno. I think he would make a good captain. Wish the Wild would hold off naming the captain until he gets his contract extended.

I remember when the North Stars made 19 year old Brian Bellows their captain. Bad call. That didn't last. Keith Acton was a good captain, however.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Foligno is a fringe player who has a limited shelf life, and has a short history with the team. I can't fathom him being a choice for Captain. I'm not saying that Suter would be a great choice for the C...I don't think that there is a great choice on this team. Parise asked for a trade, has had major health problems, and has had declining play in the past few seasons. I could have seen him being a choice a few years ago if Koivu wasn't around, but now? No way. Pretty sure that Guerin is looking to move on from the vets who didn't deliver any playoff success when they had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad