Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
What younger ages?

Watch Kunin at Wisconsin or EK before he came over. These guys played offensive hockey. Look at Eks Scouting reports, they didn't say he was primarily a defensive center. Some actually say he lacked defensive consistency. Look at guys like Granlund, Coyle, Nino. These are all guys who excelled offensively.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I hope Kap starts with Eriksson-Ek and Kunin on the second line. Zuccs can be a 3rd liner or 4th liner, give him the Loui Eriksson treatment.

Strong disagree. Respectfully of course.

I see nothing that says Ek and Kunin will magically become these skillful playmakers that can get Kaprizov the puck. Yes, I am a Zuccarello hater, but when he played with decent linemates last season, his production was fine. I don't think this solution makes sense to get the most out of Kaprizov or Zuccarello.

Reactions: 2Pair

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I think Zucc deserves another shot in the top 6. I think he can rebound from last season if he can get consistent time with two line mates and ones that have skill. I think he would work well with Kap on the other wing. Hopefully they just find someone to center them both.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think Zucc deserves another shot in the top 6. I think he can rebound from last season if he can get consistent time with two line mates and ones that have skill. I think he would work well with Kap on the other wing. Hopefully they just find someone to center them both.
I’d rather we find someone to take zucc away from us. If we have to find someone line mates to help them produce i would rather it be a younger guy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Watch Kunin at Wisconsin or EK before he came over. These guys played offensive hockey. Look at Eks Scouting reports, they didn't say he was primarily a defensive center. Some actually say he lacked defensive consistency. Look at guys like Granlund, Coyle, Nino. These are all guys who excelled offensively.

So you think that watching Parise play, who by the way was a lot more skilled than Kunin was during their respective college times, is what is preventing Kunin from being a skillful NHL player, and not, oh I don't know, playing against NHL players and not college players?

Reactions: MNRube and 2Pair

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Strong disagree. Respectfully of course.

I understand and your respect your disagreement and appreciate the discourse you are providing here.

I see nothing that says Ek and Kunin will magically become these skillful playmakers that can get Kaprizov the puck. Yes, I am a Zuccarello hater, but when he played with decent linemates last season, his production was fine. I don't think this solution makes sense to get the most out of Kaprizov or Zuccarello.

If you read between the lines of what Guerin has been doing and what he has been saying, what I gather is that he wants the young players to step up and the only way how is to get them more ice time. Unfortunately, the Wild have a lot of depth at both wings and so something is going to have to give. Given that Guerin wants to see what the young guys have to offer, I'd think that they rather run with the young guys instead of the vets.

Zucarrello didn't really produce more than Kunin, even though he a little more ice time and played two more games than Kunin. They both scored 15 goals, but Kunin had only 6 assists less than Zuccarello and that could be because of a variety of factors.

Last season was Kunin's first full season in the NHL and even that was cut short due to the pandemic. I'd rather see what Kunin does with an offensive winger like Kaprizov and given that Joel Eriksson-Ek can provide some good defense from the pivot, it'd be great if Kunin and Kaprizov could form some chemistry together.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
So you think that watching Parise play, who by the way was a lot more skilled than Kunin was during their respective college times, is what is preventing Kunin from being a skillful NHL player, and not, oh I don't know, playing against NHL players and not college players?

I don't think it's fair to compare Parise with Kunin as Parise was taken in the top 15 of a generational draft (seriously, that draft was loaded). But I also think that in some ways that getting blocked by veterans that are getting top 6 minutes only because they are veterans is hindering some of the progress of the younger players. I think last season was really the first season where the ice time for a lot of veterans and younger players were better distributed. I also think that Parise gets to play with guys like Fiala and Zucker while Kunin gets to play with Greenway and Foligno can make a huge difference. And then there is the PP and who gets to play there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Did they?
No.

There's definitely an argument that the vets were given too much icetime and certainly too much of the important icetime, but the argument that they forced the kids to play with less skill is ridiculous. Mikko Koivu at his absolute worst, plays the game with twice the skill of Eriksson Ek or Kunin.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kunin is such a bland player offensively. He can’t skate that well, he can’t pass that well. His analytics are terrible. He can finish good and he is RH. But I don’t think he is going to be a difference maker. Maybe he become a strong middle 6 Swiss army type. But Anything beyond that is a huge stretch IMO

Reactions: 57special

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I’d rather we find someone to take zucc away from us. If we have to find someone line mates to help them produce i would rather it be a younger guy.
First, we don’t even know if Zucc wants to leave. He has a NMC, the plan is DOA if he is happy here.

second, what team wants him? Last season didn’t make his value go up and he isn’t very young or cheap.

I think it is safe to say Zucc will be here next year. If you ever want a team to pick him up you might as well use him in the top 6 since that is his role and you want him to build his stock.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
First, we don’t even know if Zucc wants to leave. He has a NMC, the plan is DOA if he is happy here.

second, what team wants him? Last season didn’t make his value go up and he isn’t very young or cheap.

I think it is safe to say Zucc will be here next year. If you ever want a team to pick him up you might as well use him in the top 6 since that is his role and you want him to build his stock.
I was already see. Willing to retain salary to be rid of him. He wasn’t a need before and he isn’t now

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zuccarello is happy here, and he's not going anywhere.

Also Guerin wants to keep him, imo. He's a very skilled player, and every team needs a few veterans.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think it's fair to compare Parise with Kunin as Parise was taken in the top 15 of a generational draft (seriously, that draft was loaded). But I also think that in some ways that getting blocked by veterans that are getting top 6 minutes only because they are veterans is hindering some of the progress of the younger players. I think last season was really the first season where the ice time for a lot of veterans and younger players were better distributed. I also think that Parise gets to play with guys like Fiala and Zucker while Kunin gets to play with Greenway and Foligno can make a huge difference. And then there is the PP and who gets to play there.

Where they were taken in the draft has nothing to do with the conversation.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kunin is such a bland player offensively. He can’t skate that well, he can’t pass that well. His analytics are terrible. He can finish good and he is RH. But I don’t think he is going to be a difference maker. Maybe he become a strong middle 6 Swiss army type. But Anything beyond that is a huge stretch IMO
I agree with your assessment of Kunin, but I do think that there's quite a bit of value in having a line like Greenway - Ek- Kunin that can go up against the better lines in the league. If all three guys can get to the point where they're scoring 40 points a season? That's a 2nd/3rd line that you can win with.

I just don't understand the desire to put these guys into situations where they're going to struggle or be non-factors. Take what a player is good at and use that to your advantage.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I agree with your assessment of Kunin, but I do think that there's quite a bit of value in having a line like Greenway - Ek- Kunin that can go up against the better lines in the league. If all three guys can get to the point where they're scoring 40 points a season? That's a 2nd/3rd line that you can win with.

I just don't understand the desire to put these guys into situations where they're going to struggle or be non-factors. Take what a player is good at and use that to your advantage.

This should be the 3rd line (bolded), we know they've had success before.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I believe he'll start with Kaprizov, and Bjugstad in the middle. Zuccs can also play LW with Fiala, they never tried this for some reason, center Johansson/Bjugstad.

I mentioned the same in another thread as well, about him playing with Kaprizov. I think that would be a good solution to get the most out of Zuccarello given his playmaking ability. The center, it is what is with our current centers but I would expect it to be one of these two as well.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This should be the 3rd line (bolded), we know they've had success before.
It was pretty much the 2nd line last year. I don't really care what you call it though, find a line that's good at a role and then use them accordingly. A line like that allows you to put together a line like Kaprizov - Johansson - Zuccarello and use that line in situations where they can excel. Playing guys like Kunin with Kaprizov makes as much sense as playing Donato with Foligno and Hartman

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
LHS forwards;

Parise
Zuccarello
Kaprizov
Fiala
Greenway
Foligno
JEE
Rask
MoJo
Donato
Sturm

RHS forwards;

Bjugstad
Kunin
Hartman

LHS forward prospects of note;

Boldy
Beckman
Khovanov

RHS forward prospects of note;

Mayhew?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
LHS forwards;

Parise
Zuccarello
Kaprizov
Fiala
Greenway
Foligno
JEE
Rask
MoJo
Donato
Sturm

RHS forwards;

Bjugstad
Kunin
Hartman

LHS forward prospects of note;

Boldy
Beckman
Khovanov

RHS forward prospects of note;

Mayhew?
Geez

Fire sale on Lefties BG ?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I'm curious to see what happens if the Wild keep at center. There are a lot of bland players offensively Minnesota have had, but the fact that he scored 15 in his first full season was a good sign.

So, the plan is to piss him off? Staple him to Rask/Sturm on the 4th line and give him 10 minutes a night. Maybe then he'll waive his NMC. He's getting paid a ton, but that shouldn't guarantee him a spot in the top 6.

Who knows? Maybe Dallas wants him back and we'll take a 7th round pick.

As for Kunin, in 18-19, he saw time with Foligno, Eriksson-Ek, Coyle, Donato and Parise it appears. That seems to be the most common line combination for him and he had 5 goals and 5 assists for 10 points in 21 games.

In 19-20, he saw time with Greenway, Eriksson-Ek, Sturm and Foligno. He scored 6 goals and 6 assists in 23 games playing with them.

I'm really curious to see how a Johansson - Eriksson-Ek - Kunin line would work or a Kaprizov - Eriksson-Ek - Kunin line would work as they seem to have found chemistry with Foligno, so wondering what they can do with an actual offensive talent.

In January, Foligno had 5 goals, 3 assists for 8 points in 9 games. Kunin had 3 goals, 5 assists for 8 points in 9 games and Eriksson-Ek had 1 goal and 5 assists for 6 points in 9 games. That's 22 points between the three of them in 9 games. More than that, they scored 9 goals in 9 games.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Considering that Hartman is a 4th liner(albiet a good one), and Bjugstad a...whatever..., makes Kunin look pretty untouchable, doesn't it?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I fail to see why people want to get rid of Kunin. He’s improved his point totals and point per game every season. T-4th last season in goals. He’s only 22, there is room for more improvement. If he’s a 25+25 guy that is a solid second line player that a lot of teams would love to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad