Minnesota Wild General Discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's a one trick pony who doesn't seem to be able to perform his trick very often. We also have a TON of wingers that are more consistent and have a better two way game, so he isn't getting regular TOI.

There is some doubt about his commitment to training.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's a one trick pony who doesn't seem to be able to perform his trick very often. We also have a TON of wingers that are more consistent and have a better two way game, so he isn't getting regular TOI.

He actually performed that trick at a more consistent rate than everyone else on the team.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

This is a bad take.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Donato is the LW I prefer we keep around, but I don’t know what it is about his game that’s just so forgettable. Maybe it’s the lack of opportunities, but he just reminds me of Fontaine for some reason. Although, Donato is obviously more skilled (and a LW).

I’d like him to get a shot in the Top 6, but I don’t like him on Fiala’s wing. If Kaprizov ends up preferring the right side, those two could potentially be an interesting combination. But there’s a lot of other players that I’d like to get Top 6 time too. Ek-Kunin deserve it more than Donato and I’d ultimately like to see those two stick together.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Donato is the LW I prefer we keep around, but I don’t know what it is about his game that’s just so forgettable. Maybe it’s the lack of opportunities, but he just reminds me of Fontaine for some reason. Although, Donato is obviously more skilled (and a LW).

I’d like him to get a shot in the Top 6, but I don’t like him on Fiala’s wing. If Kaprizov ends up preferring the right side, those two could potentially be an interesting combination. But there’s a lot of other players that I’d like to get Top 6 time too. Ek-Kunin deserve it more than Donato and I’d ultimately like to see those two stick together.
I don't know how well it'd work in practice, but in theory it'd be nice to try him with Fiala because defenses have to respect Donato's shot. Fiala's so good with the puck that he tends to draw coverage to him, so even if that cuts off his shot he'll still have a dangerous passing option in Donato. Would probably be an adventure in the other end, but what can you do?

Reactions: Spurgeon

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don't know how well it'd work in practice, but in theory it'd be nice to try him with Fiala because defenses have to respect Donato's shot. Fiala's so good with the puck that he tends to draw coverage to him, so even if that cuts off his shot he'll still have a dangerous passing option in Donato. Would probably be an adventure in the other end, but what can you do?
we can rely on our near elite defense that we hold so highly and hope they can keep the puck out of the net with improved goaltending.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
we can rely on our near elite defense that we hold so highly and hope they can keep the puck out of the net with improved goaltending.
With decent goaltending they can probably keep it out of the net, I'd just worry that they get penned in down there. I guess that's what we give Brodin the big bucks for, though: breakouts.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
With decent goaltending they can probably keep it out of the net, I'd just worry that they get penned in down there. I guess that's what we give Brodin the big bucks for, though: breakouts.
indeed, i can see it being an issue sometimes depending on who their C is but the offensive output should outweigh that issue.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I have all sorts of respect for Lou Nanne, but he doesn't even to seem to be trying, at this point. He was on KFAN today, and said;

- Eric Staal was fast, and one of the fastest Wild players.
- That a Defenseman would likely have to be traded to get a Center, either Dumba or one of Spurgeon or Brodin. He specifically mentioned that Suter couldn't be traded because he had a NMC, yet didn't seem to be aware that Spurgeon and Brodin had one, too.
I’ll cut him some slack, he’s old as hell

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I never considered that aspect of them playing together, but that definitely makes sense. Fiala looked like he had decent playmaking abilities that could exploit a defense that cheats towards his side. My issue with it is that it would then bump Kunin back down to the 3rd line since I originally had Zucc flipping to LW to play with Fiala (which wouldn’t be great defensively either, but I wouldn’t expect that role out of them).

I assume Ek is going to be the 2nd line C and I don’t really know how effective a line with Ek-Zucc would be defensively. Whereas, Ek-Kunin have already shown how strong their defensive game can be together. Throw Kaprizov on that line and I think the offensive game would shine as well.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I never considered that aspect of them playing together, but that definitely makes sense. Fiala looked like he had decent playmaking abilities that could exploit a defense that cheats towards his side. My issue with it is that it would then bump Kunin back down to the 3rd line since I originally had Zucc flipping to LW to play with Fiala (which wouldn’t be great defensively either, but I wouldn’t expect that role out of them).

I assume Ek is going to be the 2nd line C and I don’t really know how effective a line with Ek-Zucc would be defensively. Whereas, Ek-Kunin have already shown how strong their defensive game can be together. Throw Kaprizov on that line and I think the offensive game would shine as well.
Let’s roll
Donato - x - fiala
Kap - ek - Kunin
Greenway - Johansson - zucc
Foligno - Rask - parise

and not worry so much about preventing goals from forwards. Make them put up points and focus on that first more so than keep it out of our net.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
you can't play Kaprizov with two guys that can't carry or pass the puck. You certainly don't want Kaprizov on your matchup line.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Let’s roll
Donato - x - fiala
Kap - ek - Kunin
Greenway - Johansson - zucc
Foligno - Rask - parise

and not worry so much about preventing goals from forwards. Make them put up points and focus on that first more so than keep it out of our net.
I'm sorry that lineup just screams 18.5% chance at 1OA in the next draft. I just have a hard time seeing a single line that meshes well with each other.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm sorry that lineup just screams 18.5% chance at 1OA in the next draft. I just have a hard time seeing a single line that meshes well with each other.
Until the draft is over I see nothing going well. It’s all just throwing sht at a wall and seeing what sticks. I don’t see it being that bad in the top six though. They should all be able to play off each other

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You have to play a quality grinder with Fiala, not a floater like Donato. You want a player who is relieving Fiala of the "heavier' duties, and allow him to save his energy for what he does best, scoring. You don't want him in the corners digging out pucks for Donato.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You have to play a quality grinder with Fiala, not a floater like Donato. You want a player who is relieving Fiala of the "heavier' duties, and allow him to save his energy for what he does best, scoring. You don't want him in the corners digging out pucks for Donato.
Fiala does not need a grinder. He needs a quality offensive line mate. Donato can finish his feeds which half our roster can’t do, with the proper center you may get that grinder you want but donato and Fiala can and should work well together.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t want that at all. I’d like to play him with a speedy playmaker and a shutdown center

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
HF Wild: Where we complain about no offense but demand our offensive players not play because they don't defend as well.
:huh::huh:
ee3b887c8c129a7d448234f143a410d7.png

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I am probably way off base, but I feel like the reason for none of our younger guys developing offensively is that the locker room has been made of veteran Grinders. Look at Kunin and Ek when they were younger, they had skill and used it. Then they get brought in to the wild and turn into grinders. I don't think its any coincidence. I think Koivu and Parise expect the team to play one way and thats how its been.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
I am probably way off base, but I feel like the reason for none of our younger guys developing offensively is that the locker room has been made of veteran Grinders. Look at Kunin and Ek when they were younger, they had skill and used it. Then they get brought in to the wild and turn into grinders. I don't think its any coincidence. I think Koivu and Parise expect the team to play one way and thats how its been.
It's a double-edged sword with veterans. You need them on your team to help the young kids grow and mature but they also block young kids from having those spots needed to succeed. Other teams seem to make room for the young kids but the Wild never seem to. We've heard coaches, vet players say these kids need to put the time in on the 4th line or practice before they get a top 6 or top 9 spot. Until that philosophy within the organization changes the Wild will not succeed. Hopefully with Fiala and Kap now that is changing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Did they?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Agreed.

Kap will start with Zuccarell0, and an underwhelming center (for now), IMO.

I hope Kap starts with Eriksson-Ek and Kunin on the second line. Zuccs can be a 3rd liner or 4th liner, give him the Loui Eriksson treatment.

Did they?

Eriksson-Ek at least had some untapped potential, Kunin did too. Kunin actually had a pretty good career at Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->