Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Every time Russo brings up the subject of signing Mikko, Guerin seems to pivot from it. It's pretty clear he's made up his mind about Koivu's future.

It's really too bad because I think Koivu has one decent year left in him. It sounds like last year was pretty tough for him personally. I'm speaking of his rehab from a serious knee injury along with his divorce.
I missed this. Mikko got divorced?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Mikko can be a good bottom six C still. I would only sign him if he signs for a small cap hit (with bonuses), and the understanding that he might not get prime TOI(i.e.PP). It's time for JEE to get some top 6 duty.

Love Mikko, and hope he comes back for one more year.

Reactions: a79krgm

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t deny the fact that Koivu would probably be a very serviceable 4C next year, but it’s obvious this team needs to get faster. We’re already one of the best teams structurally, if we can start playing with pace and get a good goaltender, we’ll be a handful.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, it's nice to be fast, but Mikko is still a much better C than Galchenyuk and Rask. It's not really close. He's still got the size, and the brain. Would be nice to get a burner. Bitten is supposed to be a really good skater, and had a good second half last year, though he'd be a bottom six guy at best.

There is no doubt that we are screwed next year if we don't get better goaltending. Doesn't matter who we have up front.

Reactions: a79krgm

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
he apparently cheated on his wife. never saw if it was true or not but there was rumors awhile back.

Wait, what? I had not seen anything on that at all. From the articles about how he met his wife, it seemed like she was largely the reason he wanted to stay in MN as opposed to heading out elsewhere. Interesting.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Wait, what? I had not seen anything on that at all. From the articles about how he met his wife, it seemed like she was largely the reason he wanted to stay in MN as opposed to heading out elsewhere. Interesting.

Not something we want to get into on this forum. It's odd, people stalk players instagrams and other social media (which I find a bit creepy), but the moment something like this pops up, it's too personal.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
it was in an article I read somewhere. I cant confirm or deny that it is real or not, it was just what I read is the reason she wanted a divorce. I have not looked into his divorce at all so I cant really speak on it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
it was in an article I read somewhere. I cant confirm or deny that it is real or not, it was just what I read is the reason she wanted a divorce. I have not looked into his divorce at all so I cant really speak on it.

There was also some third hand reports on Reddit.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I haven't seen the details but from what's in the tweet, this doesn't really mean anything to Minnesota.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I haven't seen the details but from what's in the tweet, this doesn't really mean anything to Minnesota.
I think it means the highest charge is their annual AAV.

Currently the recapture for the Wild is FAR EXCEEDING their AAV until the end of the deal. Something like $19m/yr against the cap? (If they were to retire today)

This would make the charge less now, just spread it over a longer period of time.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So we wouldn't be dramatically crippled for a couple of years from the recapture, but instead would be somewhat crippled for a dozen of them? I don't honestly know which is worse.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think it means the highest charge is their annual AAV.

Currently the recapture for the Wild is FAR EXCEEDING their AAV until the end of the deal. Something like $19m/yr against the cap? (If they were to retire today)

This would make the charge less now, just spread it over a longer period of time.
That's how I read it as well. The current recapture penalty isn't close to 19M year though. This rule change was more for the situation that Nashville is in with Shea Weber, it won't really affect the Wild unless one of Parise or Suter is traded.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As is, if Parise retires before his final year, the Wild would have a 19.37M charge against the cap. My understanding is that the new CBA would not allow a greater charge than his regular AAV(7.5M?) per year. Not sure if that means they would break up the charge into two 7.5M chunks, then the remaining 4.37 over the next three years, or if they could spread the charge out over 10 more years after his retirement at 1.937M per, which would be much preferable. Deferred payment is always the way to go, as long as penalties are not involved.

If it's the former situation it is still not great, but at least not the ruinous 19.37M.

I think it's more likely that he retires two years before, when his salary is down to a measly 1M in real money. Cap recapture would be somewhere around 9.5 M. If that could be spread out over two years at a minimum...it's ok. More than two years even better.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
As is, if Parise retires before his final year, the Wild would have a 19.37M charge against the cap. My understanding is that the new CBA would not allow a greater charge than his regular AAV(7.5M?) per year. Not sure if that means they would break up the charge into two 7.5M chunks, then the remaining 4.37 over the next three years, or if they could spread the charge out over 10 more years after his retirement at 1.937M per, which would be much preferable. Deferred payment is always the way to go, as long as penalties are not involved.

If it's the former situation it is still not great, but at least not the ruinous 19.37M.

I think it's more likely that he retires two years before, when his salary is down to a measly 1M in real money. Cap recapture would be somewhere around 9.5 M. If that could be spread out over two years at a minimum...it's ok. More than two years even better.

That's only if Parise is traded this summer. If he stays on the Wild roster, his cap recapture will never be higher than his current cap hit.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's only if Parise is traded this summer. If he stays on the Wild roster, his cap recapture will never be higher than his current cap hit.
If he retired today, that's where the cap savings would lock in. That's why it would have been that high of a penalty in theory. Very unlikely he's retiring today, so each year the contract continues the lower the cap savings if he retires.

If he's traded today, that cap savings is actually locked and can't change. Then if he decides to retire, that's the cap hit we'd have.

Thus, the only difference between being traded and not, is if we keep him, that recapture penalty isn't locked, and the penalty actually gets smaller the longer he plays, since the savings dwindle each season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If he retired today, that's where the cap savings would lock in. That's why it would have been that high of a penalty in theory. Very unlikely he's retiring today, so each year the contract continues the lower the cap savings if he retires.

If he's traded today, that cap savings is actually locked and can't change. Then if he decides to retire, that's the cap hit we'd have.

Thus, the only difference between being traded and not, is if we keep him, that recapture penalty isn't locked, and the penalty actually gets smaller the longer he plays, since the savings dwindle each season.
If he retired today the $19.3M cap recapture would be divided over the 5 years he has left on his deal. That's why trading him is so dangerous in regards to cap recapture. Once he's traded the cap recapture dollar amount gets locked in, but if he keeps playing then obviously the number of years that the cap gets spread over decreases.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Never heard of the guy until today, but apparently he was one of the most sought after scouts in the league and was largely responsible for the Canucks taking Boeser and Pettersson, along with Gaudette and Madden, and some other solid prospects they've drafted over the years. Word on the street is he's a great team player and uses a wide variety of different tools and methods in his scouting.

Here's to hoping he can grab us a Pettersson in the next few years.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hey we got a new amateur of scouting! Woot! Judd Brackett.

Crash course on Judd Brackett from someone who has followed him as a Canuck board member: Probably the most well spoken and intelligent front office member from the Canucks, was a scout from our NE US division hired by Mike Gillis and later promoted by Benning. Had fingerprints all over Boeser, Gaudette, Demko picks (and more recently Tyler Madden (traded to LA at deadline) Jack Rathbone, William Lockwood and Aidan McDonough,), was on the right side of the Pettersson/Glass debate our front office was having in 2017. Scuttlebutt is that he got overruled in the 2016 1st round pick (where Benning took Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuck) and then has been running the show since where it has been one of the most successful strings of drafts in Canucks history. Didn't want more money from the Canucks, just wanted autonomy as both Jim Benning and John Weisbrod want to spend more of their time scouting than doing actual general management duties (please feel free to look up how Weisbrod's scouting has done).

I think you're going to like Judd. No one who follows the Canucks is happy that they didn't find a way to keep him in the fold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->