Status
Not open for further replies.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zuccarello to Norwegian media:

"I'm getting older, I'm not jumping out of bed in the morning anymore" :laugh:

Oh dear...and the Wild have signed him for another four years.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys, any word on whether 37 year old koivu is planning on retiring after this season or not?

His contract is over and he has taken a pretty big dive in production the past 2 seasons.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hey guys, any word on whether 37 year old koivu is planning on retiring after this season or not?

His contract is over and he has taken a pretty big dive in production the past 2 seasons.

No word on retirement, but there's a very good chance he's done here. Whether that means retirement, finding another NHL team, or going back to Finland, I'm not even sure Koivu knows yet.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Tough situation. He's owed a legacy contract but is probably worth a fourth-line center deal.

You bring up a great point regarding the season. If the playoffs happen, the Wild are easy sentimental favorites. Koivu, Staal, Parise, Suter, Dubnyk, Zuccs, probably Spurgeon too ... it's their best kick at the can before the end. If this season never returns, if it's one and done against Vancouver, probably Koivu calls it a career.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Koivu could be a great 4th line center next season, but don't know if the Wild or he have interest in that role moving forward.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Staal-Eriksson Ek-???-Koivu

?

Honestly, the center situation makes this offseason pretty intriguing. Do they sign Galchenyuk? Who are the free agents they could sign? Is Khovanov a potential NHL roster addition? Can Sturm play bottom 6? Will Anas ever be given a chance at the NHL level? Could our 1st this year be close to NHL ready?

Lot of questions and I’m excited to see the answers.

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Khovanov was invited to join the team for the play-in right? Slap him as the 2C and bobs your uncle.

Let some of these young studs f***in' shine baby WOOOO.

I've got some spunk in my step today. Draft lottery tonight.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Khovanov was invited to join the team for the play-in right? Slap him as the 2C and bobs your uncle.

Khovanov, Kahkonen, (if they let him sign) Kaprizov, Kunin, Eriksson-Ek, Greenway should all get significant time against Vancouver. Future is now, and if they fail - the worst thing is Minnesota gets the 11th pick overall. Best thing is if they show growth, push this team into the playoffs.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I am seeing reports from some of my Finnish friends saying that Khovanov has agreed to play next season in the KHL for AK Bars... Jokke Nevalainen retweeted it 10 mins ago.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Unsure but it appears to be a year... I think the issue with him is that there is no guarantee of him making the NHL roster next season, no guarantee of an AHL season at all so he would need a step up in competition from the Q.
yeah I can understand it from his point of view. if he doesn't make the NHL roster he just sits and wastes a year almost .

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
That seems extremely fishy to me.

Khovanov has already signed his NHL contract. So unless the Wild gave the OK, he can't sign in the KHL.

The KHL hasn't signed an under contract NHL player since Radulov, and never since the KHL and NHL signed their agreement to respect each other's contracts. They are really going to break that rule, and open the flood gates backup over Khovanov?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That seems extremely fishy to me.

Khovanov has already signed his NHL contract. So unless the Wild gave the OK, he can't sign in the KHL.

The KHL hasn't signed an under contract NHL player since Radulov, and never since the KHL and NHL signed their agreement to respect each other's contracts. They are really going to break that rule, and open the flood gates backup over Khovanov?
The original report says that Minnesota agrees. So, it should be a loan. A couple of days ago there were the same reports with D Samorukov going to CSKA Moscow.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The original report says that Minnesota agrees. So, it should be a loan. A couple of days ago there were the same reports with D Samorukov going to CSKA Moscow.
That's surprising to me that Minnesota gave the OK, given their dire need at Center. Also conflicts with Russo's reporting (though he does have an anti-russia bias and thinks the KHL can/will do anything they want).

But it makes more sense then the KHL blowing up the agreement that kept us from poaching Kaprizov and NYI from poaching Sorkin over the past 3 years for a propsect.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He has just confirmed for the Russian media that Minnesota gave the OK, but looks like the deal with Ak Bars is not signed yet.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Any source you can link to?
Of course, but the source is only in Russian, here. I can translate his words as "Yes, it is true that Minnesota let me go (more correct words would be - Minnesota agrees), but I would not comment it right now"

My understanding is that the deal with Ak Bars is not signed yet, so he does not comment the details.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
After a number of defensive comments insisting the NHL-KHL MOU doesnt exist, Russo finally clarified the situation(what probably should have been in the story in the first place).

Apparently Khovanov is pressuring the Wild into loaning him, but they haven't yet. Which is why he hasn't signed yet. But they might given the uncertainty around the AHL/NHL 2020-2021 seasons. Might not be a bad idea if the KHL is on pace to start on time and the NHL is delayed. He could play in the KHL, and finish in the NHL after the KHL season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If it's true that the AHL season isn't happening, why wouldn't they loan him to the KHL? He'll likely get higher quality playing time there, and if at any point they don't like his usage they can recall him to the NHL roster. The alternative is he sits in the press box or worse, doesn't even make the NHL team, and wastes a full year of development. We can't afford to waste a full year of development with our only center prospect.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
There’s a lot worst things than letting Khovanov play in the KHL instead of the AHL, especially when the KHL is more likely to start on time.

Reactions: 57special

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
After a number of defensive comments insisting the NHL-KHL MOU doesnt exist, Russo finally clarified the situation(what probably should have been in the story in the first place).
I do not follow Russo, but I can tell you. There is in place NHL-KHL MOU, they extend it every off-season. The basic principle of MOU is that NHL club can not sign a player under KHL contract & vice-versa. So, both leagues honour the player contracts in the opposite league. As I know, there are no out-clauses in KHL SPC as there are no KHL out-clauses in NHL SPC. It is the same here.

Both leagues exchange a list of free agents (both UFA & RFA, but it does not matter if a player is UFA & RFA, in both cases he can sign in the opposite league). So, NHL clubs know who is pending KHL free agent & vice-versa. Perhaps there are more details in MOU which I am not aware of.

Apparently Khovanov is pressuring the Wild into loaning him, but they haven't yet. Which is why he hasn't signed yet. But they might given the uncertainty around the AHL/NHL 2020-2021 seasons. Might not be a bad idea if the KHL is on pace to start on time and the NHL is delayed. He could play in the KHL, and finish in the NHL after the KHL season.
That is a possible scenario. As written earlier, the deal is not signed yet.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If it's true that the AHL season isn't happening, why wouldn't they loan him to the KHL? He'll likely get higher quality playing time there, and if at any point they don't like his usage they can recall him to the NHL roster. The alternative is he sits in the press box or worse, doesn't even make the NHL team, and wastes a full year of development. We can't afford to waste a full year of development with our only center prospect.

Agreed. I see very little issue here.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Koivu could be a great 4th line center next season, but don't know if the Wild or he have interest in that role moving forward.

Every time Russo brings up the subject of signing Mikko, Guerin seems to pivot from it. It's pretty clear he's made up his mind about Koivu's future.

It's really too bad because I think Koivu has one decent year left in him. It sounds like last year was pretty tough for him personally. I'm speaking of his rehab from a serious knee injury along with his divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad