Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The only possible path to it would be:

We get mathematically eliminated with 10-15 games to go (or something like that).
Galchenyuk gets moved to center, because, what the hell.
He goes ppg or maybe slightly above for the remaining games.
He comes back on a very short-term "prove it" deal and does it again at the center position.
Then maybe.

Reactions: Bazeek

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
It's too bad. Galchenyuk really had potential, scoring 30 for mtl at like age 20 or whatever. Hate to see talent not flourish.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
One thing that's concerning is that we're a one line team when it comes to offense. I know the Ek line is usually pretty solid and dependable in a lot of ways, and Ek himself is really coming into his own and I think is a big reason that line contributes more offensively than they maybe should. It would be nice to put him with more offensive wingers where we can let that flourish.

Parise-Staal-Fiala
Galchenyuk-Eriksson Ek-Kunin/Zuccarello

That would be something I would try. Koivu can cover the defensive side that Eriksson Ek usually takes, or Sturm, if you don't want Rask playing.

Greenway/Donato-Rask-Kunin/Zuccarello
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Do that for the bottom six. See if you can get those top 6 focused more on offensive so we have two lines contributing offense more consistently.

And there are still a lot of options for next year with Kaprizov.Maybe Galchenyuk on a one year prove-it deal? Maybe Khovanov comes in next year and helps with the offense, that's probably not a safe bet though.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd rather see:
Parise/Staal/Fiala
Foligno/JEE/Kunin
Greenway/Chucky/Zucc or Chucky/Donato(Rask)/Zucc
xxx/Koivu/Hartman

I'd really like Zucc to figure out how to play with this team. I don't think he's as bad as he's looked, he just hasn't meshed with the team/system at all. He's a drain on whichever line he's on right now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd rather see:
Parise/Staal/Fiala
Foligno/JEE/Kunin
xxx/Koivu/Hartman

I'd really like Zucc to figure out how to play with this team. I don't think he's as bad as he's looked, he just hasn't meshed with the team/system at all. He's a drain on whichever line he's on right now.

That's not any different than what we've been doing and it doesn't address being a one line team with a stopgap 2C because your using your current 2C in a role that other players on the team are equipped to play.

It's comparative advantage. If you move Eriksson Ek up into the offensive role, and Koivu into Ek's role, you're probably gaining more in offense than you're losing in defense by having Donato or Kunin fill a role they're not equipped to handle.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'd rather see:
Parise/Staal/Fiala
Foligno/JEE/Kunin
xxx/Koivu/Hartman

Boudreau has pissed him off..

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I get it, I'd be fine with trying Galchenyuk out as a 2C myself for a short time, but it's still more or less the same as trying Donato or Kunin there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That's not any different than what we've been doing and it doesn't address being a one line team with a stopgap 2C because your using your current 2C in a role that other players on the team are equipped to play.

It's comparative advantage. If you move Eriksson Ek up into the offensive role, and Koivu into Ek's role, you're probably gaining more in offense than you're losing in defense by having Donato or Kunin fill a role they're not equipped to handle.

Putting Koivu in JEE's spot will just make that line no offense and worse defense. Koivu has 6p in 41 games at even strength this year and has can't keep up with speed of the game anymore. JEE's offense is nowhere near Staal's.

Next year is when it'll get interesting.
Top-6:
Parise/Staal/Fiala
Kaprizov/JEE/Kunin

I don't mind Kunin as a center, but do think he'd be better off as a 2-way winger.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No doubt. Kunin is a placeholder till someone better comes along at C. It is nice to have someone versatile like him.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think Zuccarello is still top 6 next year, putting a $6M guy on the 3rd line would be some bad asset management.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No doubt. Kunin is a placeholder till someone better comes along at C. It is nice to have someone versatile like him.

We have a new (and mostly improved imo) 2010 draft class on the team:
Kunin = Coyle
Fiala = Granny
Donato = Zucker
JEE = Larsson
Greenway/Boldy = Nino

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Putting Koivu in JEE's spot will just make that line no offense and worse defense. Koivu has 6p in 41 games at even strength this year and has can't keep up with speed of the game anymore. JEE's offense is nowhere near Staal's.

Next year is when it'll get interesting.
Top-6:
Parise/Staal/Fiala
Kaprizov/JEE/Kunin

I don't mind Kunin as a center, but do think he'd be better off as a 2-way winger.

Greenway, Foligno already provide little offense outside of what Ek generates. Foligno had that nice stretch and it's been a nice season overall, but let's not kid ourselves about what he is. That line may be less offensive without Eriksson Ek, but the second line might get quite a bit more offensive with him on it. And I don't really care about that [shutdown] lines offense, the point is that it would be the defensive line.

If you're going to put Ek there next season, just do it now while we have Galchenyuk on a tryout. I also fail to see what Ek's offense being "nowhere near Staal's" matters. I also question whether that's truly the case anymore. Staal's at 28 ESP, Ek's at 22, with much tougher, more defensive minutes, and with lower quality linemates. 5v5 P/60 is equal.

If it doesn't work, switch it back, but at this point, Ek is far and away the second best offensive center we have, and the gap between he and the third is much greater than the gap between he and Staal. And we've tried Rask, Donato and Kunin all in that second line center spot, but for some reason (I know the reason, you don't need to waste breath telling me) we haven't even given Ek a look there.

As of right now, you have one line that's a scoring threat + Eriksson Ek (him, not his line), one line is a shutdown line, and two lines are essentially just there to give the other guys a rest. With this lineup below you might have two lines that are scoring threats, one shutdown line, and one line that's just there to give other guys a rest.

Parise-Staal-Fiala
Galchenyuk-Ek-Kunin
Donato/Greenway-Rask-Zuccarello
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Ek being "too good defensively" is about the worst reason I've heard to keep him in that role when he's demonstrated the ability and earned the right to do more.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Greenway, Foligno already provide little offense outside of what Ek generates. Foligno had that nice stretch and it's been a nice season overall, but let's not kid ourselves about what he is. That line may be less offensive without Eriksson Ek, but the second line might get quite a bit more offensive with him on it. And I don't really care about that [shutdown] lines offense, the point is that it would be the defensive line.

If you're going to put Ek there next season, just do it now while we have Galchenyuk on a tryout. I also fail to see what Ek's offense being "nowhere near Staal's" matters. I also question whether that's truly the case anymore. Staal's at 28 ESP, Ek's at 22, with much tougher, more defensive minutes, and with lower quality linemates. 5v5 P/60 is equal.

If it doesn't work, switch it back, but at this point, Ek is far and away the second best offensive center we have, and the gap between he and the third is much greater than the gap between he and Staal. And we've tried Rask, Donato and Kunin all in that second line center spot, but for some reason (I know the reason, you don't need to waste breath telling me) we haven't even given Ek a look there.

As of right now, you have one line that's a scoring threat + Eriksson Ek (him, not his line), one line is a shutdown line, and two lines are essentially just there to give the other guys a rest. With this lineup below you might have two lines that are scoring threats, one shutdown line, and one line that's just there to give other guys a rest.

Parise-Staal-Fiala
Galchenyuk-Ek-Kunin
Donato/Greenway-Rask-Zuccarello
Foligno-Koivu-Hartman

Ek being "too good defensively" is about the worst reason I've heard to keep him in that role when he's demonstrated the ability and earned the right to do more.

He's been effective in the role and linemates he's had this year. Why mess with it? Keep him with Foligno (and preferably Kunin) the rest of this year. It's a solid 2-way line that can play against anyone.

Koivu has nothing left in the tank, if he did he'd be playing the 3C and Kunin would be on the wing. I'm not even sure Koivu is a better option than Rask as the 4C at this point. It would put JEE as the 1C, Kunin as the 2C/shutdown role, Staal as the 3C offensive center (and back with Zucc where there is no chemistry), and Koivu stays in the same spot he's in.

I'm fine with trying Chucky out as a center, after he's settled into the team a little more. Give him two of Donato, Greenway, or Zucc as wings, heavy o-zone starts, and see what happens.

Have Fiala be the driver on the 1st line with Staal. JEE keep building his 2-way game where he is as the 2C with Foligno as the placeholder for Parise or Kaprizov next season.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Not Guerin's choice, at the moment.

In an alternate universe, we didn't sign Zuccarello and used the $6M to take Marleau's contract for Toronto's 1st. That would be something.
I've never been crazy about Zucc. Get rid of him and keep Galchenyuk, imo

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Now here's the thing. In all actuality the top 4 on that list aren't going anywhere. So I guess to me you trade Zucker and Donato and clear up your log jam at LW a little bit, still would be 5-3 LW- RW. Not sure what that does in terms of direction as you lose an old guy in Mikko, a middle ager in Zucker, and a young guy in Donato but hey not my mess.

^ Posted this back on 1/22. Incoming Donato trade obviously :naughty::naughty:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Trade Zucarello. He isn't a Guerin pick anyways.

No he was basically a Craig Leipold pick, the man who happens to be the owner of the Wild...

I hoped Zuccarello would reach his usual 60 points, but now it looks like he'll end up short of 50. He's first of all a playmaker and an assist guy, normally around 35-40 assists a season. Very interesting because his assists have dropped a lot, while he has more goals than ever before. He's forced to shoot way more because he doesn't trust his linemates, they've been pretty bad.

So based on this mess of a team I'm fine with Zuccarello's performance this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad