Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
December, huh? Hopefully Kaprizov doesn't grow impatient. You can call off the Winter Classic too.

BTW, cancel the rest of this effing season, already!

They're talking about June training camps and restart by July. Both the NHL and NHLPA want to finish the season, hence the talk of December start to next season, after a break from this season.

Xcel Energy Center is likely one of 4 neutral sites games will be played to compete this season/ playoffs.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It sounds like there's a very real chance the AHL won't play next season, which is a shame. I was really looking forward to having Khovanov and Lundell in Iowa. It also raises the question of how junior leagues will play. They don't have the extra revenue streams of Pro teams and they really live and die by attendance. So, if fans aren't permitted to go to games, how do they survive?
And, what does that mean for next year's draft?

Reactions: bukwas

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would assume that the NCAA season is also in jeopardy?

I would think that some players will try to play in overseas leagues, whether it be Swiss, Swedish, Finnish, German...there are a lot of them. Some of those countries have been hit hard by C-19 also, so they might not be playing, either. Certainly, the European CHL, USHL, and NCAA players will be looking at going back and playing in Europe.

How to draft in 2021 if play is curtailed, or stopped altogether? Oof. There will be a LOT of hits and misses. Maybe the draft will be shortened like they are doing with the MLB draft.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
They are delaying next season now in order to keep hope for this season alive.

Let's face it. 2019-2020 is all but put in the books. Best hope for NHL is to keep 2020-2021 season as profitable as possible.

As far as 2019-2020 I feel like it could have been worse. Certainly, the lockout year of 2004-2005 was worse. The Wild had just signed their first big FA (Rolston) and fans had to wait a whole season to see him dressed. At least there's some hope we can see Kaprizov in late 2020 or 2021?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Let's face it. 2019-2020 is all but put in the books. Best hope for NHL is to keep 2020-2021 season as profitable as possible.

As far as 2019-2020 I feel like it could have been worse. Certainly, the lockout year of 2004-2005 was worse. The Wild had just signed their first big FA (Rolston) and fans had to wait a whole season to see him dressed. At least there's some hope we can see Kaprizov in late 2020 or 2021?
I woulldn't say the 19/20 NHL season is over just yet

NBC has an awful lot of TV time to fill

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
It sounds like there's a very real chance the AHL won't play next season, which is a shame. I was really looking forward to having Khovanov and Lundell in Iowa. It also raises the question of how junior leagues will play. They don't have the extra revenue streams of Pro teams and they really live and die by attendance. So, if fans aren't permitted to go to games, how do they survive?
And, what does that mean for next year's draft?
Where is the info on next season AHL being cancelled ?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The only time I miss it really is when I watch Kevin Fiala highlights.

2 or 3 times a week.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Listened to a recent interview with Gary Bettman about the various possibilities of starting hockey. He talked for some time. Man, what a whole lot of nothing in his words. Zero learned from this interview. The owners are obviously stalling for time. They don't want to refund the season ticket holders and everyone else than they may owe money to. They have no intention to finish the 2019-20 season, but won't admit it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Listened to a recent interview with Gary Bettman about the various possibilities of starting hockey. He talked for some time. Man, what a whole lot of nothing in his words. Zero learned from this interview. The owners are obviously stalling for time. They don't want to refund the season ticket holders and everyone else than they may owe money to. They have no intention to finish the 2019-20 season, but won't admit it.
Nobody on the planet knows what's going to happen 2 weeks from now. Kinda tough to expect the NHL to have a plan figured out for the next year plus

Reactions: nickschultzfan

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

The owners want the season to restart more than anyone, including the players.

What do you expect Bettman to say? They can't do anything on their own without permission by the governments of the states/provinces where the games will be played...and I don't see that coming anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: P10p and 2Pair

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
The owners want the season to restart more than anyone, including the players.
What do you expect Bettman to say? They can't do anything on their own without permission by the governments of the states/provinces where the games will be played...and I don't see that coming anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

I expect Bettman to announce that the 2019 season canceled instead of his ridiculous double talk. And, no, they don't need permission from the government to do this. Do they think we are all stupid? An NHL season in August/September? Let's get real.

I expect owners to end the stalling and start to issue refunds and/or credit to STHs and others.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I expect Bettman to announce that the 2019 season canceled instead of his ridiculous double talk. And, no, they don't need permission from the government to do this. Do they think we are all stupid? An NHL season in August/September? Let's get real.

I expect owners to end the stalling and start to issue refunds and/or credit to STHs and others.

You really don't think the league office and the owners are looking at every possible way to resume the season? Even if the outlook of that isn't promising, they're not going to cancel the season until they know for sure they can't play it. There's no way they've already given up on it.

Reactions: P10p

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Yes they will need permission to play games, especially if the states where the games will be played still have stay at home orders or bans on gatherings over X number of people.

The owners want the revenue that goes along with restarting the season. They aren't going to announce any cancellation of the season until they have exhausted every effort to get back on the ice.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Yes they will need permission to play games, especially if the states where the games will be played still have stay at home orders or bans on gatherings over X number of people.
The owners want the revenue that goes along with restarting the season. They aren't going to announce any cancellation of the season until they have exhausted every effort to get back on the ice.

No. The "permission" I was referring to was in regard to canceling the 2019 season.

There's no way to play that season and make a profit. How much television revenue do you think they would get playing in August? Empty buildings or not.

There are no profitable options for 2019-2020. Owners already know this. They need to return our money and prepare for next season. They owe some of us close to $2,000

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
No. The "permission" I was referring to was in regard to canceling the 2019 season.

There's no way to play that season and make a profit. How much television revenue do you think they would get playing in August? Empty buildings or not.

There are no profitable options for 2019-2020. Owners already know this. They need to return our money and prepare for next season. They owe some of us close to $2,000

I would guess the ratings would be HUGE given how starved this country is for actual live sports on tv. Especially in August when there isn't much else on tv to watch besides baseball.

I don't know the specifics of the deals the NHL has with the networks, but I would guess that they aren't getting any tv revenue if the games aren't being televised. At this point it's not about profit, it's about salvaging whatever revenue they can just to soften the blow.

My guess is that it's much more likely that the season will eventually be cancelled, but I don't fault the owners/players for waiting to make that call official until they absolutely have to. I also don't fault the fans for demanding answers, especially those that may need that $2,000 now more than ever.

Reactions: 57special

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

NHL is signed with NBC television.
There seems to be a HUGE amount of TV time to be filled in July / August because NBC had the TV rights for the Summer Olympics which are now cncelled.

I would DEFINITELY wager that Bettman and NBC are trying their hardest to fill all those TV slots with NHL games and playoffs

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So I heard the league plans to drop the rest of regular season, and start with a playoff tournament with the 24 best teams as it stands now. Best of 3 series.

What do you think about this if they go for it? I like it because it saves time, and it's fair because this will include all teams with a realistic chance to reach the playoffs.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
So I heard the league plans to drop the rest of regular season, and start with a playoff tournament with the 24 best teams as it stands now. Best of 3 series.

What do you think about this if they go for it? I like it because it saves time, and it's fair because this will include all teams with a realistic chance to reach the playoffs.
I like it, can't believe the main board is so negative about getting hockey back and also having an extended playoffs, don't know how you can be a fan and hold the opinion that its awful.

Reactions: P10p

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I like it, can't believe the main board is so negative about getting hockey back and also having an extended playoffs, don't know how you can be a fan and hold the opinion that its awful.

It's probably either traditionalists or fans of higher ranked teams that are nervous about their team losing to a 10 seed. Maybe a few people that would rather do normal playoffs using points percentage and hold the draft after the playoffs so they can still win the lottery. I'd personally rather have a shot at the lottery in August/September than lose the best of 3 play-in series and be stuck picking 11th.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

The only best of 3 series would be the first series to decide the playoff field.

1v2 in each division to decide division winner.
3v6 and 4v5 to decide who else qualifies for the 1st round of the actual playoffs with 7 games series from then on.

No wildcards, each division with 4 teams, standard format, just in neutral location without fans.

P10p

May 15, 2012

Thankyou! I hate seeing people complain that hockey might come back. Like... do you not enjoy watching hockey? How in the world is the "tradition of the game" and "record books" more important to the casual fan than seeing your team compete for the Stanley cup? People just like to complain and aren't capable of processing change. That is what I think it comes down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->