Minnesota Wild General Discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Which is why it was strange they fired Boudreau. I thought he was doing well with the young guys.

The whole Fiala OT thing was pretty bad, and I wasn't too thrilled with how he was locked in on Eriksson Ek being a checking center when he's just a flat out better center than Kunin is. Those probably aren't fireable offenses, but they annoyed me.

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The whole Fiala OT thing was pretty bad, and I wasn't too thrilled with how he was locked in on Eriksson Ek being a checking center when he's just a flat out better center than Kunin is. Those probably aren't fireable offenses, but they annoyed me.

Fair enough; also I'm laughing, because one of the better teams (Tampa Bay) have two of Minnesota's former coaches. Derek Lelonde and Todd Richards. Round 2?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Again, why can't they just suspend Dubnyk? He's made enough money at this point and I believe they can work something out with the insurance. It'd save some money in cap for Minnesota, and really, he could probably day trip it down to Iowa, report and then come back? I don't know if he has to actually stay in Iowa after reporting. Does he actually have to suit up? Like couldn't it be a mutual agreement?

Dubnyk has to decide what is more important; the NHL or his wife? And I'm going to guess his wife. You can tell that Dubnyk has really declined this year. Is it because he's worried about his wife? Or the stress of taking care of his wife and kids? Who knows, but personal accountability would be to tell the team that he can't focus on the game and that he needs to have some personal time away (suspension or something).

How do you think the vets feel if Dubnyk costs them a few games and they don't make the playoffs because he wants his cake and eat it to.

They'd think he's a human being trying to do both his job and be there for his family, like all of them would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: carouselofgoalies

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They'd think he's a human being trying to do both his job and be there for his family, like all of them would.

Is he really doing his job? He's 66th in GAA and 66th in SV%. He is worse than Martin Jones and Carter Hutton. His mental game looks off - hell, his entire game looks off. There is nothing wrong with telling the team that he needs time away from the organization to take care of things at home.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Is he really doing his job? He's 66th in GAA and 66th in SV%. He is worse than Martin Jones and Carter Hutton. His mental game looks off - hell, his entire game looks off. There is nothing wrong with telling the team that he needs time away from the organization to take care of things at home.

He is doing it, maybe not to the standards he once had, but to say he needs to step away or speculating what his teammates think is wrong. Remember this organization and roster stood behind Parise when J.P. died, and when Suter's dad died as well. Should they have stepped away from the team if their games had slipped?
These are people, not robots and for most people, having things as normal as possible is what helps them through it.
He took his time off and came back, leave him alone.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He is doing it, maybe not to the standards he once had, but to say he needs to step away or speculating what his teammates think is wrong.

Unless (and it's quiet possible), they are going to throw away this year - than sure. Keep playing him.

Should they have stepped away from the team if their games had slipped?

Did their games slip though? Also, there is a big difference between having 11 forwards, 7 defensemen and two goalies.

These are people, not robots and for most people, having things as normal as possible is what helps them through it.
He took his time off and came back, leave him alone.

We criticize people when all they do is work. We criticize people when they step away from the game for whatever reason. We criticize them because they get injured doing something normal (remember Penner's injury?).

You're right, they are people and one of the things is, they aren't here just to entertain us. It's not just Dubnyk and his wife, but their family.

I am also not going to leave alone a guy that is part of a huge reason why this season tanked. Most experts think Minnesota should have been a playoff team if they had competent goaltending. When Dubnyk was out, they played some of their best games. And while Kaapo wasn't great, he was still better.

My guess is that Guerin is purposely tanking the team come hell or high water.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I give up. Going after him right now, makes you look extremely petty, but whatever.

So we shouldn't criticize him and how bad his season is? There are a LOT of factors playing into Dubynk's decline (including age and physical play). As well, the goalies are strange players. If their mental game is off, than it can really impact them. This is probably Koivu's last season and Parise and Suter may not have many years left, so losing out on one last playoff push due to poor goaltending is poor management by this team.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So we shouldn't criticize him and how bad his season is? There are a LOT of factors playing into Dubynk's decline (including age and physical play). As well, the goalies are strange players. If their mental game is off, than it can really impact them. This is probably Koivu's last season and Parise and Suter may not have many years left, so losing out on one last playoff push due to poor goaltending is poor management by this team.

Dubnyk's play this season might be the best thing for the future health of this franchise. Let's say Dubnyk played well enough to make the playoffs, do you honestly think this team as currently constructed could make a run? I don't. So sucking this season and getting a chance to draft high enough to get a potential impact player is what I call good management by this team.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

I think wins and losses take a backseat to supporting a teammate going through a very rough patch who is trying to live as normal a life as possible. But that's me...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

We can criticize him all we want; I have all year, but the talk of players wanting him to step away or something is I think where a lot of this started.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Dubnyk's play this season might be the best thing for the future health of this franchise. Let's say Dubnyk played well enough to make the playoffs, do you honestly think this team as currently constructed could make a run? I don't. So sucking this season and getting a chance to draft high enough to get a potential impact player is what I call good management by this team.

However, it's not up to us. As well, getting experience to the young players like Donato, Fiala (who had a good run with Nashville), Greenway, Eriksson-Ek and Kunin may do wonders for them. Or even being in contention. We all saw what happened last year with Donato and Greenway in Iowa.

We can criticize him all we want; I have all year, but the talk of players wanting him to step away or something is I think where a lot of this started.

It did, but it also starts with why.

Anyone know outside of Housley, a coach with strong ties with USA hockey that is available? I'm think Mark Recchi.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
fiala looks like a consistant 20G scorer ; kunin & donato could be ; i just dont see greenway or JEE developing into better than 15G 3rd liners.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
fiala looks like a consistant 20G scorer ; kunin & donato could be ; i just dont see greenway or JEE developing into better than 15G 3rd liners.

I think with the right center, Fiala could be a 30-40 goal scorer. Donato is really hit or miss, I don't think he'll be in Minnesota next season. JEE may squeeze out to be a decent 2nd line center.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Screw that, I want a 35+ goal scorer. If 35yo Eric Staal can score 42 then i don't think it's too much to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad