Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Blues fan coming in peace. Can someone give an insight on Yeo's personality and relationship with his players? We are six games into the season and he seems to have lost this team already. It doesn't seem to be a matter of chemistry but rather a total lack of fundamental hockey that you learn in pee-wee and bantum. He doesn't seem to be a very likeable guy either and the body language of our players often looks like they don't want to play for him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Blues fan coming in peace. Can someone give an insight on Yeo's personality and relationship with his players? We are six games into the season and he seems to have lost this team already. It doesn't seem to be a matter of chemistry but rather a total lack of fundamental hockey that you learn in pee-wee and bantum. He doesn't seem to be a very likeable guy either and the body language of our players often looks like they don't want to play for him.
Hate to break it to you, but Mike Yeo is a good coach.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

He had similar issues here as well. I think he's pretty good with the tactical aspects of the game, but he is strict about his system and "structure" and it seemed to suck out the joy of the game from players. There was also the pattern of a mid-season slump when the team seemingly forgot how to hockey, fell down like a rock in the standings, culminating in a crisis with players-only meetings until by a sheer force of desperation they found out they are hockey players after all and mounted a heroic comeback just to claw into the playoffs as a wild card.

Say what you will of Boudreau but I really don't miss Yeo regular seasons. He got fair results with our roster in the playoffs, though.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
He had similar issues here as well. I think he's pretty good with the tactical aspects of the game, but he is strict about his system and "structure" and it seemed to suck out the joy of the game from players. There was also the pattern of a mid-season slump when the team seemingly forgot how to hockey, fell down like a rock in the standings, culminating in a crisis with players-only meetings until by a sheer force of desperation they found out they are hockey players after all and mounted a heroic comeback just to claw into the playoffs as a wild card.

Say what you will of Boudreau but I really don't miss Yeo regular seasons. He got fair results with our roster in the playoffs, though.
Thanks for the input. We lost again tonight with less than 10 seconds in regulation so his seat may already be getting hot. Our GM spent big this off-season bringing in the likes of O'Reilly, Bozak etc. to sit on his hands too much longer.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Here comes MATT READ, folks!

And a reminder that Tyler Ennis is the ninth highest-paid forward on the roster this season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thanks for the input. We lost again tonight with less than 10 seconds in regulation so his seat may already be getting hot. Our GM spent big this off-season bringing in the likes of O'Reilly, Bozak etc. to sit on his hands too much longer.
I don't think your GM should get a pass. Bringing in a whole bunch of talent doesn't always work. Especially right away.
I've always thought ROR to be overrated, myself. Sort of like a newer version of Stastny.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Here comes MATT READ, folks!

And a reminder that Tyler Ennis is the ninth highest-paid forward on the roster this season.
Hope he gives some kind of zip to the lineup, but I have very low expectations. Looking forward to the time when we can see a healthy and firing-on-all-cylinders Kunin brought up. Maybe even a Shaw, or Sokolov, but I think that's premature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalbooya

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Hope he gives some kind of zip to the lineup, but I have very low expectations. Looking forward to the time when we can see a healthy and firing-on-all-cylinders Kunin brought up. Maybe even a Shaw, or sokolov, but I think that's premature.

Way premature on the kids, but if they earn it, hope they do get a late season cup of coffee. That would be a great outcome (and already better depth than we've see in the past three-four years).

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Da fuq? I'm not sure how I feel about this because on the one hand that doesn't seem right, but on the other hand I'm glad Bruce might be giving him an actual shot to succeed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Da fuq? I'm not sure how I feel about this because on the one hand that doesn't seem right, but on the other hand I'm glad Bruce might be giving him an actual shot to succeed.

Greenway wasn't very good there, that line needs a change, so not a huge surprise.

Nino wasn't good last game either, so not a surprise he's not going to that slot either.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Quick question, do people trust BB? Is he the right coach for Wild?

Yes and Yes. Seems like a great guy, he's one of the winningest coaches in NHL history, and the team has over-achieved under him - despite management doing things like trading for Marcus Foligno and Tyler Ennis and firing his assistant.

I think the idea that coaching is the problem or solution in the NHL is pretty overrated. You can see when a guy's time is up - the team stops playing hard for him. Not the case here yet.

Reactions: WildNorway

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Really good story by Russo in The Athletic today about Greg Pateryn and a friendship he made with a 12 year old boy while he was in Dallas.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Eight Wild players expecting new babies in coming months

I suppose this explains why the team has looked like one of those giant exhausted sows getting danced on by its annoying-ass piglets. My favorite part is Greg Pateryn saying it's something in the air, which I'm going to interpret as him thinking pregnancy is an airborne condition. "I don't get it, me and the missus doubled up and wore TWO surgical masks each and every doggone time we pitched the marital whoopee, got Deepwater Horizon in charades, or even just did what these guys for some reason call a Matt Cullen, and she still wound up in a family way!"

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Are Walz and Greenlay splitting the color commentator spot again this year?

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
E Ek 's been tried everywhere in the line-up.
Does not click with anyone...

The Wild's lines recently look pretty good without having to find a spot for him, trade Ek while he still has some value?

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
E Ek 's been tried everywhere in the line-up.
Does not click with anyone...

The Wild's lines recently look pretty good without having to find a spot for him, trade Ek while he still has some value?
He is injured now, and is unlikely to have much value. Would be unwise to trade him while his value is low, seeing as how just about everyone thinks he passes the eye test, and he is the only true Young C of note in the organization. At worst, I think he will be a 3c when he reaches his prime. That's not great, but it's not nothing.

Maybe give him more than 3 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad