Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula's 1G/0A in 6 games playing 16-18 minutes a night would certainly make him fit right in.

You forgot his SO goal this year that beat us in OT.

Also his 29g, 26 a season last year...all for a whopping 2.75M.

His ability to stretch the ice with his speed is something the Wild can use. Apparently you think otherwise.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

His ability to stretch the ice with his speed is something the Wild can use. Apparently you think otherwise.
There are a lot of useful players in the league that wouldn't look bad in Minnesota and Haula's one of them. I don't think adding any of them would really fix much, though. The bigger problem is that about half of our top-9 has been bad-to-mediocre so far, and we lack the high-end talent to get away with that.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

$2.75M that we couldn't afford last year.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
not in regards to this seasons slow start but just in general, how many of you would be open to selling everyone we can and tanking? as fans could you sit through it knowing we are tanking for a rebuild?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
not in regards to this seasons slow start but just in general, how many of you would be open to selling everyone we can and tanking? as fans could you sit through it knowing we are tanking for a rebuild?
"Sit through it" as in actively pay attention to a team that's trying to be bad? No. I'll set an Outlook reminder for 2024 and do something enjoyable with my spare time until then.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah. If it happens, then it happens. But if they do something akin to when the Wolves sent out Mark Madsen to shoot 3 pointers, then I'm likely going to start tuning out. And then, as we all know, even if you do get to that point and pick high, there's no guarantee of success with that model either.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I think I could sit through it, but I also don't have season tickets or go to very many games, so I'm not all that much financially invested.

February through April would get pretty boring. The fall would be fine with football going on.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'd sit through it, I'd even keep my season tickets assuming the price goes down. But maybe not if they did it right now. I'd be pretty mad if they sold off a team that can be competitive in order to build around absolutely nothing.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
I'm ready for one. IMO the Wild keep getting less and less fun to watch. They have moments where they look like a good team. But those moments are getting further apart. I'm curious what type control Leipold has given Fenton. Wasn't Leipold against tanking when Fletcher took over?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I'm ready for one. IMO the Wild keep getting less and less fun to watch. They have moments where they look like a good team. But those moments are getting further apart. I'm curious what type control Leipold has given Fenton. Wasn't Leipold against tanking when Fletcher took over?

he is still anti tanking and anti rebuild. he wants a tweak or 2 and thats it. i am all for the rebuild and would watch still. id be frustrated but watch.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Rebuilds are terrible to watch. I think maybe Edmonton provided the league with a "how not to" tutorial but the risks are there. Edmonton there's not much else to do all winter but suffer and watch hockey. Minnesota would risk eroding the fanbase in a serious way.

This team is one superstar, or maybe three elite, players away from being fun again. I think a total teardown is too much. Hope for health, hope for a major mistake from some other team, hope that one (or more) of the guys from a solid 2018 Draft becomes a bona fide star. It's possible.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Near impossible to find anyone in management who will admit to tanking publicly, even when they are doing exactly that. Saying that Leipold stated he was against tanking may be true, but it really is a valueless statement. We don't know what he is thinking privately.

The Wild need to let the season breath a bit, and see what they have. Don't see any possibility of EK, Kunin, or Greenway exploding into a Boesser or Barzal, but the team might jell soon and start to string together some wins. If they are floundering like they are now come the new year, then changes will have to be made. Nino, Coyle, Brodin are in their primes, and have to be doing more. I'm still happier with Brodin's play, last night's hiccups aside, but it doesn't look like he works on his shot from the point at all. I don't think it has improved since he was a 19 yo. That is inexcusable. He would have a spot on the #2PP unit if he had simply put more work in the shot.

Nino, and especially Coyle, look like lost puppies out there. I've been a Coyle backer, but enough of this crap. Maybe he needs a GF, or needs to get rid of one? Whatever, he needs to grow up and take responsibility for his talent. Injuries aren't an excuse any more.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
One drop into the lottery, coupled with Kaprizov being what we all hope is, might be enough to do the trick. But who knows, and that's rub.
Might not even need the draft lottery. Cole Caufield, I’ll be pumping him up all season folks. He’s awesome.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Nino, and especially Coyle, look like lost puppies out there. I've been a Coyle backer, but enough of this crap. Maybe he needs a GF, or needs to get rid of one? Whatever, he needs to grow up and take responsibility for his talent. Injuries aren't an excuse any more.

I wouldn't buy the injury excuse anyways. Nino was apparently injured and tore it the hell up in the international competition once the Wild were ousted from the playoffs. Coyle has done the same thing in the past as well in terms of lighting it up in international.

I don't know if it is just the ice or the stress being removed since they aren't under Media/Fan scrutiny. They don't seem to really care to be here, nor have I ever really felt they did. I think Coyle was probably excited when he was going to be on the wing with Parise. Maybe Nino felt epic feelings after scoring the GWG in Game 7 and being so beloved by the fans? I'm sure they are fierce competitors, but even some of the better players have just gone through motions for a paycheck.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Near impossible to find anyone in management who will admit to tanking publicly, even when they are doing exactly that. Saying that Leipold stated he was against tanking may be true, but it really is a valueless statement. We don't know what he is thinking privately.

The Wild need to let the season breath a bit, and see what they have. Don't see any possibility of EK, Kunin, or Greenway exploding into a Boesser or Barzal, but the team might jell soon and start to string together some wins. If they are floundering like they are now come the new year, then changes will have to be made. Nino, Coyle, Brodin are in their primes, and have to be doing more. I'm still happier with Brodin's play, last night's hiccups aside, but it doesn't look like he works on his shot from the point at all. I don't think it has improved since he was a 19 yo. That is inexcusable. He would have a spot on the #2PP unit if he had simply put more work in the shot.

Dude had 20 minutes of ice time last night and didn't even get one sh0t 0n g0al... I'm no hockey expert but I think someone once told me it's definitely better to shoot the puck.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
there was a moment last night that epitomized Coyle's tenure here so much that it almost needed to be framed. From where we sit in the upper level we could see it perfectly...Coyle made a nice move at the blue line and had possession and I looked up and there was nothing but open ice in the middle of the slot. Especially being right handed he could have stepped in there and had either a great scoring chance or a passing opportunity. Instead he did some move to his backhand right into the only defender in the zone and ended up losing the puck? Something like that.

It was just so bizarre.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
there was a moment last night that epitomized Coyle's tenure here so much that it almost needed to be framed. From where we sit in the upper level we could see it perfectly...Coyle made a nice move at the blue line and had possession and I looked up and there was nothing but open ice in the middle of the slot. Especially being right handed he could have stepped in there and had either a great scoring chance or a passing opportunity. Instead he did some move to his backhand right into the only defender in the zone and ended up losing the puck? Something like that.

It was just so bizarre.
That one jumped out to me as well. It was like watching a dog hit an invisible fence.

Reactions: 57special

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's almost as if there were reasons why Coyle was a late first-rounder, why the team that drafted him willingly gave him up shortly thereafter (notice they didn't give up guys like Gambrell or Merkley for Erik Karlsson), and why he has likely maxed out as a 50-point guy who gets a lot of opportunities to do more. He's not a top-six guy on a contender. People should stop expecting so much of him and then be pleasantly surprised when he does something.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

It was just so bizarre.
Coyle plays with his head down when he has the puck. He rarely looks up to actually see the shot or quality pass opportunity.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Lets see Fenton do something clever before we wish for him over seeing a rebuild.

He's traded Olofsson for stuff, signed a bunch of AHL/NHL fringe players, bought out Ennis, re-signed a few RFAs, and just called up Read (a day late) ; that's not clever enough? :sarcasm:

Signing UFA Pateryn is the highlight (so far) of his short tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad