Minnesota Wild General Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
that might be good for a rebuilding team though.
Yeah, assuming they sign the RFAs, the only big names left are Brodin, Dubnyk, Staal. It's safe to assume Staal won't return at that point and I'm hoping Kahkonen or someone else is ready to replace Dubnyk. Koivu's contract will also be up at that point.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wild fans are never happy. SPurgeon is overpaid...Parise and Suter are overpaid and garbage!...Fenton is terrible!...Guerin is terrible!...we can't win the Cup!...Blow the team up!...no, don't blow the team up!.

I guess I wouldn't say it's JUST Wild fans (nor is it limited to MN NHL fans - Twins "fans" are similar in nature)...it's all over the sporting world. I should be clear on that.
"Fans" aren't monolithic enough to be any one thing. Most are unhappy when they lose and happy when they win. Some are unhappy when they win in the wrong way or in the wrong context. Some are happy when they lose as long as it's a step toward something they value more, like a high draft pick. That sort of dissensus is inevitable and healthy, at least in my eyes.

Right now the team is just in uncertain territory: same problems under a new GM with losses piling up. Personally I kind of enjoy the tension :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, Brodin is the only guy that we'd really miss, assuming that Doobs decline continues. Signing Brodin will take quite a bit finesse. We either sign him before the ED, and decide to protect 4 + 4, sign him and leave him unprotected at the ED, sign him and work another Haula/Tuch deal, or simply leave him unsigned till after the ED, and attempt to sign him as a FA. The latter option will likely be expensive. A still youngish top 4 guy like him would get a lot of attention.

If some of the forwards don't start doing something, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild sign him and go 4+4. I can't think of a single forward who is more valuable than him, once age is taken into account. I like Brodin, and value him more than most, but that's pretty sad.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I just noticed how many contracts are up after next season ('20-'21)

UFAs: Staal, Foligno, Mayhew, Brodin, Seeler, Hunt, Pateryn, Dubnyk

RFAs: Fiala, Hartman, Donato, Eriksson-Ek

That seems like a large number to me.

There was a possibility of a lockout/strike that year. IIRC a lot of contracts around the league are set to expire that year.

Reactions: Wild11MN

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Picture this scenario 3 years in the future, 2022-23:

38 year old Zach Parise at 7.5 million - still 2 years to go.
35 year old Mats Zuccarello at 6 million - still 1 year to go.
37 year old Ryan Suter at 7.5 million - still 2 years to go.
33 year old Jared Spurgeon at 7.5 million, with 4 years to go.

How did this franchise become this?

Then there will other hell to pay, not so much with Zucker probably, but Dumba?

30 year old Zucker impending UFA
28 year old Dumba impending UFA

That's the work of 3 GMs, though I'll cut Billy a little slack, new on the job and all.

Dammit, flexibility should be paramount in a cap driven sport. The Wild, on the other hand, are hamstrung.

Jaakarh

Aug 30, 2018
Picture this scenario 3 years in the future, 2022-23:

38 year old Zach Parise at 7.5 million - still 2 years to go.
35 year old Mats Zuccarello at 6 million - still 1 year to go.
37 year old Ryan Suter at 7.5 million - still 2 years to go.
33 year old Jared Spurgeon at 7.5 million, with 4 years to go.

How did this franchise become this?

It is good that the term of contracts was capped. But when Suter and Parise were having their deals, this was the price to pay. We got nice five years of their late prime and had some good seasons, albeit without post-season success, for the salary crunch that we need to endure for the next five years. We wanted to be relevant and didn't have other choice.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
We wanted to be relevant and didn't have other choice.
Good post - this, however, has always been the Wild's problem. They've tried to rush the process, from DR trading for Demitra, to Fletcher's big splash ( I will confess I was totally pumped that day), but the bitter truth is that what looks great one day has its warts down the road.

I am bitter about the sweetheart expansion deal Vegas got as opposed to the Wild and Columbus picking over leftovers as the last 2 of a 3 year 4 team expansion.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Good post - this, however, has always been the Wild's problem.

The problem has always been internally. We have always had to develop players on the fly, because we didn't have the talent since day 1. We have never held the scouting staff or development teams to the fire. It took a terrible GM to start the ball rolling.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We are overreacting a bit. Wild still have an elite blueline and will for the next couple of years. Our forwards are just an island of misfit toys, which is exposing both our blueline and our average goaltender.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
+ - means nothing. Abut a year ago I posted Brodin's since he came into the league. Some years he was the best on the team(and even the league), others he was midrange to lowest on the team.

It doesn't tell you much of anything about an individual player.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
+ - means nothing. Abut a year ago I posted Brodin's since he came into the league. Some years he was among the best on the team(and even the league), others he was midrange to near lowest on the team. It doesn't tell you much of anything about the individual player.

It probably means a little something if you're Jack Johnson and sitting at -20 when the rest of your team is in the positive, or other extreme cases like that. But I'd agree that it mostly means very little.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
All I'm contradicting is that this an ELITE blue line - I realize the team has issues in net and with defensively responsible forwards atm, but an ELITE d-corps would negate some of those flaws. This isn't the case.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
All I'm contradicting is that this an ELITE blue line - I realize the team has issues in net and with defensively responsible forwards atm, but an ELITE d-corps would negate some of those flaws. This isn't the case.
Some, not all. When the D stands alone, they are forced to make higher risk plays to try to make things happen. That not only enhances their own flaws, but the already struggling forwards and goaltenders are exposed even more when the risks backfire.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Some, not all. When the D stands alone, they are forced to make higher risk plays to try to make things happen. That not only enhances their own flaws, but the already struggling forwards and goaltenders are exposed even more when the risks backfire.

Also the d-corps is being relied on to do most of the teams scoring so far. They have all been active in the o-zone and taking more chances at trying to hold the o-zone.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dubnyk is average or below-average? Smh.

I can’t tell if you’re trying to dispute this. Dubnyk is an average to below average goalie propped up by a top 5 defensive unit. Not this year obviously, but in the past he’s been carried by the rest of our roster.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can’t tell if you’re trying to dispute this. Dubnyk is an average to below average goalie propped up by a top 5 defensive unit. Not this year obviously, but in the past he’s been carried by the rest of our roster.
Last year was the most egregious of this.

Reactions: AKL

P10p

May 15, 2012

Our d core is often lauded as elite and one of the top d cores in the league. 4 games of plus minus stats don't change a dam thing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad