Minnesota Wild General Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This entire forum seems to be very against the players when it comes to holdouts and work stoppages. It's too bad.
You can't possibly think that people are blaming Spurgeon for signing his contract? JFC

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zuccarello probably won't play tomorrow, bumps and bruises Boudreau said.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Can't believe people are blasting the Spurgeon contract.

Why don't you complain about the billionaire owners ever? All they do is get richer and richer. Doesn't matter what kind of product is on the ice/floor/grass.

There is a salary cap, that's why the contract gets some heat. If there wasn't a salary cap nobody would really care what a player was making. But you'd also have a few super teams with seemingly unlimited cash flow winning the Cup most every year.

I find it hard to complain about an owner that will spend to the cap ceiling every season, try to put a quality product on the ice, and buyout bad contracts. I'd complain if he spent the least amount of money possible just to get to the cap floor and put a garbage product on the ice year after year.

Reactions: Bazeek and 2Pair

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'd complain if he spent the least amount of money possible just to get to the cap floor and put a garbage product on the ice year after year.

Strangely I would say most Wild "fans" think anything short of a Cup every season is a "garbage product".

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I think I'm missing the point, too. The top 3 teams on that list are a team that hasn't won since 2004, another team that hasn't won since 1967 and yet another team that has never won it. Seems like most people consider winning records year-to-year to be more important than cup wins when determining how well a franchise is run. Also, it proves that like 50% of HockeysFuture posters are Leafs fans.

Reactions: Bazeek

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm wondering if it isn't time for the team only meeting already.

Where is the leadership on this team?

Also Brad Hunt is leading all players in points and tied with Zucker for goals. This is like the royal families in the medieval days - a genetic mess that is finally collapsing in on itself.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think it was understated how defensively solid Granlund, Coyle, Nino, and other guys going further back like Haula were for this team.

Reactions: 57special

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I think the most disappointing thing this early in the season, is how bad our defense has looked.
Dumba is back to running around like a dog chasing a tennis ball. I can see why Suter doesn’t like playing with him.
Spurgeon looks lost half the time.
Suter is not asserting himself, as he has in the past.
Brodin is Brodin.
Hunt is great in the offensive zone, but a major liability in the defensive zone.
I like Soucy but he’s raw and going to make mistakes.
Until the defense starts playing like they should, this team will not win a game, especially with Dubnyk in net.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Those seem like two very separate arguments.

Why is that bad?

Fan money also pay the players.

I wouldn't

And your point is?

Wild fans are never happy. SPurgeon is overpaid...Parise and Suter are overpaid and garbage!...Fenton is terrible!...Guerin is terrible!...we can't win the Cup!...Blow the team up!...no, don't blow the team up!.

I guess I wouldn't say it's JUST Wild fans (nor is it limited to MN NHL fans - Twins "fans" are similar in nature)...it's all over the sporting world. I should be clear on that.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I just noticed how many contracts are up after next season ('20-'21)

UFAs: Staal, Foligno, Mayhew, Brodin, Seeler, Hunt, Pateryn, Dubnyk

RFAs: Fiala, Hartman, Donato, Eriksson-Ek

That seems like a large number to me.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
should wild fans be happy? why? im glad the new owner is willing to spend to the cap but he has made some poor decisions hiring mgmt. what has our team really accomplished? 6 years of making the playoffs in a league where 50% make it isn't anything to brag about.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I will never cheer for losses. Ill still watch every game and get mad every time they get scored on. But if at the end of the season we end up with a top 3 pick I will be happy. One thing Fenton did good was build up our prospect pool, it's looking pretty solid with our last couple drafts.

Also one thing that hasn't been brought up much is that there is the expansion draft coming up. Who will be gone? That will eliminate a contract and open up a spot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Defense has been made to look bad partially because of the play of the forwards. Turnovers, lack of effort/ ability, and bad decisions by them have made their job much harder. Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin look just fine to me...Suter better than last year, as he has his legs back. Third pairing is about the same...Hunt is an adventure defensively, but balances that with his offense. Dumba the same, though he is, of course, a bigger stronger guy. The mistakes that Dumba makes are very fixable, but I don't know if he is able to change. The impulsiveness and aggressiveness that makes him good on offense get him into trouble on defence, where he overreacts, putting himself out of position.

At this point it's hard to get mad at any of our D. They are having to play D, and score goals.

Doobs, after a decent start, looked pretty bad in the last game, and has been fighting the puck in general. At times he looks like an 80 year old trying to chase a mouse when he is trying to cover the puck up in the crease.

Still think the main problem with this team is the forwards. They have to be scoring, and they aren't.

Reactions: Jaakarh

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I just noticed how many contracts are up after next season ('20-'21)

UFAs: Staal, Foligno, Mayhew, Brodin, Seeler, Hunt, Pateryn, Dubnyk

RFAs: Fiala, Hartman, Donato, Eriksson-Ek

That seems like a large number to me.
that might be good for a rebuilding team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->