Minnesota Wild General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Still think this team is lost. We had to work so hard to beat a team missing basically an entire first line in Kesler, Getzlaf, and Silverberg. Weren't they missing a Dman, too?

Happy to see Dumba getting all that TOI with Suter on the first pairing. OT heroics aside, some of it was pretty ugly, but it's time to take the training wheels off with him, and if Suter is so damn good then he can start dealing with him. He has had nothing but a pair of enablers as D partners in Brodin and Spurgeon. If we could separate Spurgeon from Suter and maybe have him play with Olofsson/Reilly/ Brodin it would make us stronger, I think.

Liking the Brodin/Murphy pairing. They seem to compliment one another.

Prosser has been a breath of fresh air. Is it because he is well rested? Or has he finally figured out how to play in the league? Whatever, he looks decent out there, and he has to be when he is playing with Reilly.

Koivu was set up a couple of times at least(by Coyle and Brodin, for sure) but couldn't convert. Need some scoring from him.

I don't know what the Wild need to do to be better besides get Parise back, or get some new personnel in to replace what we have on the bottom six. It's not like they are perfect, but the top 6(assuming Coyle is top 6)is looking reasonably good.

Ek plays responsibly, and is physical in a low key way, but he has got to find a way to bring some offense.

Reactions: W75

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Still think this team is lost. We had to work so hard to beat a team missing basically an entire first line in Kesler, Getzlaf, and Silverberg. Weren't they missing a Dman, too?

Happy to see Dumba getting all that TOI with Suter on the first pairing. OT heroics aside, some of it was pretty ugly, but it's time to take the training wheels off with him, and if Suter is so damn good then he can start dealing with him. He has had nothing but a pair of enablers as D partners in Brodin and Spurgeon. If we could separate Spurgeon from Suter and maybe have him play with Olofsson/Reilly/ Brodin it would make us stronger, I think.

Liking the Brodin/Murphy pairing. They seem to compliment one another.

Prosser has been a breath of fresh air. Is it because he is well rested? Or has he finally figured out how to play in the league? Whatever, he looks decent out there, and he has to be when he is playing with Reilly.

Koivu was set up a couple of times at least(by Coyle and Brodin, for sure) but couldn't convert. Need some scoring from him.

I don't know what the Wild need to do to be better besides get Parise back, or get some new personnel in to replace what we have on the bottom six. It's not like they are perfect, but the top 6(assuming Coyle is top 6)is looking reasonably good.

Ek plays responsibly, and is physical in a low key way, but he has got to find a way to bring some offense.
Well get him better linemates then.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Not necessarily a first line but top two centers, top six winger, and lost Nick Ritchie for much of last night. Hampus Lindholm was out too. Ducks fourth line is replacement level or worse too.

JEE was credited with six hits last night to lead the team and memorably crushed Montour. With regard to his linemates, the coach gave him Ennis who can at least pass the puck and Stewart who can possibly finish and punch someone in the face. I think that's making the most of the options.

Last night the Wild lost the Corsi battle and won the game, the leaders by a mile were Foligno (78.6%) and Mitchell (69.2%).

Pretty sure Mike Reilly comes out for Olofsson next game though...he's struggling, but Prosser is again the worst on the team at 37% corsi.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Staal-Coyle
Parise-Kunin-Eriksson Ek
Winnik-Cullen-Ennis

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Reilly-Murphy

Dubby
Stalock

Worth a shot when everyone gets healthy.
I just don't trust Reilly/Murphy.
I'd split up Brodin and Spurgeon, then play Brodin on the PK till he drops, and Spurgeon on both special teams till HE drops so they get their minutes. Maybe reunite Spurgeon with Suter during last minutes of close games. The way Prosser is going, it'll be hard to bench him...we'll see.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Staal-Coyle
Parise-Kunin-Eriksson Ek
Winnik-Cullen-Ennis

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Reilly-Murphy

Dubby
Stalock

Worth a shot when everyone gets healthy.

This works for me.

The 3rd pair will be a iffy throughout the season no matter what. I have liked Murphy when he's playing with Brodin who is elite at babysitting (ask Dumba) but playing with Reilly is an entirely different story.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Been out of the country so haven't been able to watch. From what I've been reading with Russo, seems like the offense is still struggling hardcore?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll chip in gas money. Bring back some wings and Lou Molnati's if you're going through Chicago.

I would exchange him for Girgensons, who has been benched recently. He is no prize either, but there is hope for him.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I'm just very disappointed in Foligno and Ennis. I really thought they would be solid 3rd liners. Well there's still time i guess but i don't think their awareness on the ice is very good because their skill set should be better than this.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I am holding out a little shred of hope that a Parise/Eriksson Ek/Foligno 3rd line might be useful, as long as the matchups are favorable and such. Foligno just isn't good enough to be the 2nd best player on a legit 3rd line; he needs to be a distant 3rd and just use what he's good at to make room for the skill players.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Foligno is hired muscle, and that's about it. In a league that is trending away from physical play.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Foligno is hired muscle, and that's about it. In a league that is trending away from physical play.
Foligno is a less talented but harder working version of Stewart. Zero need for both guys on the same roster.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
3rd plus our cap space back yabba dabba dooo! look i dont hate foligno as a player i just think fletch way way way overpaid him. fletch must have a man crush on him. cheers.
Fletch has said more than once that they have been chasing Foligno for awhile. More than a crush I'd say...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can see what they saw in Foligno. Big, decent skater, physical, no obvious physical deformities. His lack of actual hockey sense and puck skills are palpable, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->