GDT: Minnesota @ Toronto 7:30 SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Im confused. Babcock wants Nylander to play better defensively? Isn't that exactly what we should want too? Haven't we all been pointing out how crappy we are defensively? So babcock = bad?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
We are falling and falling fast.

Few points out of dead last

I'm ok with another lotto pick but losing is getting old real fast here

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Im confused. Babcock wants Nylander to play better defensively? Isn't that exactly what we should want too? Haven't we all been pointing out how crappy we are defensively? So babcock = bad?

While I'd like to see Nylander go back on Matthews wing rather than where he is right now, what you're seeing here is posters who are frustrated after a rough stretch of games and being impatient with our rebuild after a quarter of the way through year 2

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
There was one shift by Mathews in the D zone that was epic. I was a little shocked with his great board work and physicality.

Yeah I remember that too! It really stood out

Reminds me of when Gardiner starts skating around the ice and doesn't want to let the puck go for a good 10-20 seconds. Sometimes they show Babcock's face and his smile is priceless. :laugh:

Wait, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Regarding Morgan Rielly.

We are slowly creeping up to the stage where "what you see is what you get" regarding his development. He hasn't taken that next step and he still makes a lot of the same mistakes that he's made previously. He still can't shoot the puck to save his life and he still can't be trusted to win matchups against top lines.

I'm really starting to think he just won't be "that guy." There's nothing that indicates he's going to have a massive curve in development.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Regarding Morgan Rielly.

We are slowly creeping up to the stage where "what you see is what you get" regarding his development. He hasn't taken that next step and he still makes a lot of the same mistakes that he's made previously. He still can't shoot the puck to save his life and he still can't be trusted to win matchups against top lines.

I'm really starting to think he just won't be "that guy." There's nothing that indicates he's going to have a massive curve in development.

He was always a worst case #2.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
And so it begins:

Babcock on Nylander: "The reality is, for him to play centre in NHL he's going to have to get way better defensively, way more competitive"

**** Babcock. Bozak is sleeping through most of his assignments but he's going after a rookie who is playing with two grinders and told to perform magic.

I hope Babcock doesn't have enough power to get Nylander traded. If he's traded, it will be worse than Kessel trade #1.

Because he doesn't give a **** about developing Tyler Bozak...

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Regarding Morgan Rielly.

sounds alot like Kaberle.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
sounds alot like Kaberle.

Kaberle??

I wish. I doubt Rielly will ever put up the assist totals Kabby put up. Even though he never shot the puck (oh god was that annoying at times :laugh:) he still had a way better shot than Rielly.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Kadri and Carrick who are both relatively young players made bad defensive plays behind the net for the first goal, Carrick and Gardiner are both caught at the blueline for the second goal and Rielly doesn't win the board battle and Zaitsev is caught chasing which leaves Staal open in front for the 3rd goal.

Young players, experiencing and learning. These are the growth pains they go through.

Babcock isn't the one turning the puck over or not covering the man.

I can agree with this assessment on the first two goals, but not the third. Bozak lost inside position on Staal and although Rielly and Zaitsev didn't play it perfectly, it's hard to cover 3 guys. Especially when MR had to commit for the loose puck. But I'm nitpicking, just thought I'd point that out.

One thing I've really noticed this year is how poorly the Leafs are doing at building up speed when regrouping. We are so slow carrying the puck through the neutral zone and there is no reason for it when there are so many guys with wheels. A few times MR would try to wind up without the puck and Zaitsev wouldn't give it to him and instead hits the winger in the middle who is surrounded and has to chip it in. Let the young guys wheel

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Regarding Morgan Rielly.

Okay seriously, this fan base is an utter joke.

HE'S 22 YEARS OLD.

I REPEAT. 22 YEARS OLD.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Nice game tonight from the boys. Feels like we're losing a lot lately but we keeping putting in pretty good games. I'm excited to watch the team grow. I'm not prone to hyperbole but man does Marner look like he could be a really special player in this league.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
And so it begins:

Babcock on Nylander: "The reality is, for him to play centre in NHL he's going to have to get way better defensively, way more competitive"

**** Babcock. Bozak is sleeping through most of his assignments but he's going after a rookie who is playing with two grinders and told to perform magic.

I hope Babcock doesn't have enough power to get Nylander traded. If he's traded, it will be worse than Kessel trade #1.

I have to agree with this. Only reasoning for this I can think of is that Babs knows Bozak will never change Nylander is still young and can be molded.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
:laugh: what else do you expect with a rebuild?

How long does a rebuild take? Our window is the next three years. If we dont win a cup before 2020 we are fudged. If youre expecting to suck for the duration of a five year rebuild you need to massively realign your head space. Losing sucks balls.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Brown and Hyman will be on our 4th line when players like Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnson the more skill prospects etc start to come in right? I cant see KK playing another year in the AHL after this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad