Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in negotiations to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves for $1.5 billion

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If a team moves, fans should just accept it and move on. Teams move; players leave in free agency; TV shows get canceled; friends drift apart; relationships break up; people die. Everything ends at some point. Why waste time being bitter or angry about it when you can probably put that energy towards something else.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Whoever buys the Wolves will probably make a strong push to get the NBA to award its next two expansion teams to Seattle and Vancouver, likely being assisted by the OKC owners in this.

Both teams want out of the NW Division, and adding Seattle and Vancouver will achieve that, because then Minnesota would move to the Central Division and Oklahoma City to the Southwest.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Whoever buys the Wolves will probably make a strong push to get the NBA to award its next two expansion teams to Seattle and Vancouver, likely being assisted by the OKC owners in this.

Both teams want out of the NW Division, and adding Seattle and Vancouver will achieve that, because then Minnesota would move to the Central Division and Oklahoma City to the Southwest.
NBA divisions don’t matter the seeding is 1-8 in the conference regardless of division.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
NBA divisions don’t matter the seeding is 1-8 in the conference regardless of division.

Correction - they wouldn't matter for playoff seeding, but they do matter for the regular season schedule.

My proposed scheduling formula to go along with the addition of Seattle and Vancouver would involve every team playing everyone that is not in their division just twice each - which adds up to 54 games for teams in the 5-team divisions, and 52 games for teams in the 6-team divisions.

The remainder of the schedule would be played within the division - 28 games (7 against each team) for teams in 5-team divisions, and 30 games (6 against each team) for teams in the 6-team divisions.

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
If a team moves, fans should just accept it and move on. Teams move; players leave in free agency; TV shows get canceled; friends drift apart; relationships break up; people die. Everything ends at some point. Why waste time being bitter or angry about it when you can probably put that energy towards something else.
By that logic why be a fan of any team?

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
By that logic why be a fan of any team?

You say that, but as I get older, I'm finding I'm moving away from team "loyalty" in a lot of cases. Just because you cheered for a team when you were a kid, why does that lock you in? As was said, players leave, coaches change, owners change. Why does a fan have to stick with it? What if the team plays an absolutely boring style? The team only cares about your "loyalty" in so far as you spend money on them. Otherwise, they really don't care. Is there "street cred" for it? What does it get you really? It's a business. How many times have people switched grocery store chains, department stores, Gamestop vs E&B... why are sports teams different?

I always got a kick out of the people at NFL games that would get in the face of someone wearing the visiting team's gear. Do they think the players are going to grab a beer with them for "defending the honor?" A restraining order is more likely. I'm not talking about good natured ribbing, I'm talking about getting into the face, screaming and yelling, sometimes threatening violence.

I say this fully admitting that 20 years ago I would have never thought this line of thinking would ever enter my mind. But when you stop and think about it, it seems a bit silly, IMHO. Why does an adult need another adult's signature on something that isn't a contract or a check? Something could also be said about a grown man wearing a shirt with another man's name on it. Maybe I'm fully reaching curmudgeon status, I don't know. But I think a number of things underpinning the sports industry could look like a real house of cards if one pulls back the curtain.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If A-Rod’s group moves the T-Wolves. The NBA will almost certainly expand to Minnesota and the expansion team will own the trademarks and history of the T-Wolves.

According to the article, deal is contingent on keeping T-Wolves in Minny. That clause will certainly have an expiration date but NBA is also eyeing an expansion in the near future with a rumored $2.5B fee per team which Silver described as "lower end".

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
According to the article, deal is contingent on keeping T-Wolves in Minny. That clause will certainly have an expiration date but NBA is also eyeing an expansion in the near future with a rumored $2.5B fee per team which Silver described as "lower end".
The league could force A-Rod's group to pay a significant portion of a expansion fee for a new Timberwolves team as a clause for allowing him to move.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The league could force A-Rod's group to pay a significant portion of a expansion fee for a new Timberwolves team as a clause for allowing him to move.
wrong....

the deal has always specified that both Minnesota teams are now involved, not just the the Wolves, but the WNBA Lynx, are now a part of that contract to be transferred, Centrum....

much the same reasoning why the Seattle Storm transitioned to local ownership and then the Sonics were sold to Clay Bennett to be relocated to OKC...

there will be a clause prohibiting the new ownership from relocating per Taylor's prerogative....

Taylor keeps these two teams status quo if I'm understanding this sale agreement until 2023.

Don't be shocked if it extends to the Target Center or the Iowa Wolves G-League affiliate in Des Moines which Minnesota owns in that league

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
You say that, but as I get older, I'm finding I'm moving away from team "loyalty" in a lot of cases. Just because you cheered for a team when you were a kid, why does that lock you in? As was said, players leave, coaches change, owners change. Why does a fan have to stick with it? What if the team plays an absolutely boring style? The team only cares about your "loyalty" in so far as you spend money on them. Otherwise, they really don't care. Is there "street cred" for it? What does it get you really? It's a business. How many times have people switched grocery store chains, department stores, Gamestop vs E&B... why are sports teams different?

I always got a kick out of the people at NFL games that would get in the face of someone wearing the visiting team's gear. Do they think the players are going to grab a beer with them for "defending the honor?" A restraining order is more likely. I'm not talking about good natured ribbing, I'm talking about getting into the face, screaming and yelling, sometimes threatening violence.

I say this fully admitting that 20 years ago I would have never thought this line of thinking would ever enter my mind. But when you stop and think about it, it seems a bit silly, IMHO. Why does an adult need another adult's signature on something that isn't a contract or a check? Something could also be said about a grown man wearing a shirt with another man's name on it. Maybe I'm fully reaching curmudgeon status, I don't know. But I think a number of things underpinning the sports industry could look like a real house of cards if one pulls back the curtain.
Your entitled to your opinion but if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup in my life time it will be a lot more special then if I become a Capitals fan tomorrow and Ovi wins his second ring.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Your entitled to your opinion but if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup in my life time it will be a lot more special then if I become a Capitals fan tomorrow and Ovi wins his second ring.

I might be going down a rabbit hole, but why? If you want to cheer for the Canucks, by all means go for it. But why will it be "special"?

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
I might be going down a rabbit hole, but why? If you want to cheer for the Canucks, by all means go for it. But why will it be "special"?
Because I've been watching the team since 2002 and it's my hometown. Have fun pretending to be happy when the team you've cheered for since last week wins I guess though you do you.

Reactions: perrykaravello

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Because I've been watching the team since 2002 and it's my hometown. Have fun pretending to be happy when the team you've cheered for since last week wins I guess though you do you.

OK so you pretty much proved my hypothesis. The Canucks owners are quite happy to hear they can expect a steady inflow of cash from you over the next few decades no matter what they do.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Your gonna chirp me for liking a hockey team yet you have over 1600 posts on a hockey form since 2007? Have you been checked for dementia?

Well it started out with me just asking questions. You are the one who took offense.

I was right. This did go down a rabbit hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad