Proposal: Minnesota-Ottawa

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Should be said, I think the assumption behind this deal is that Stone doesn’t want to sign long term in Ottawa, and Zucker signs at around 6M for 4-6 years.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The plus would have to be fairly large. Zucker is a good player but Mark Stone is better at both ends. Given the circumstances of OTT right now it could be a little lower than what should be. Depending on what both players contract asks are I’d imagine a first? Not sure how highly Brodin is viewed but maybe him with an add on OTTs side (lower add)

Reactions: SensFactor

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The plus would have to be fairly large. Zucker is a good player but Mark Stone is better at both ends. Given the circumstances of OTT right now it could be a little lower than what should be. Depending on what both players contract asks are I’d imagine a first? Not sure how highly Brodin is viewed but maybe him with an add on OTTs side (lower add)

The difference between Zucker and Stone is not Brodin, especially if the assumption that Stone won’t sign long term in Ottawa is true.

If you look at the underlying numbers either this year, the last two years, or even the last three years, they’re not THAT far apart. Stone is better offensively, but not by much. Defensively it’s hard to quantify. You can listen to the talking heads tell you how great Stone is defensively, but he only has marginally more SH TOI/g than Zucker despite being on a much worse team, and Zucker’s +/- is also better over the last three years, which also points to the fact that Stone has had a significant advantage in PP opportunity, giving him an edge on the point producing side.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Look, I won't pretend I watch Ottawa games and I'm not going to be one of those guys who craps on another team's guy after a someone from my fan base proposes to trade for them but Zucker scored 33 goals last year (Stone's never gotten more than 26 and that was 4 years ago) and had 64 points. Stone may be better but the difference between the two is certainly not huge (it's certainly not Brodin, who probably has more value than Zucker).

Ottawa's reality sucks right now - most of their guys will be looking to get out of there. None of their trade pieces are going to fetch what they otherwise would on the open market.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
well op is stupid, so why would I reply with an intelligent answer
Explain how a discussion between the difference of Stone and Zucker is stupid. Zucker isn’t exactly chopped liver here and like AKL said, this is assuming Stone doesn’t want to sign long term with Ottawa.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Should be said, I think the assumption behind this deal is that Stone doesn’t want to sign long term in Ottawa, and Zucker signs at around 6M for 4-6 years.

Well, that's a completely unfounded assumption.

Let's make the assumption that Zucker doesn't want to sign long term in Minnesota. What do we need to add to Ryan Dzingel to get him?

Zucker
Niederreiter

For

Stone

?

Start with Dumba and add.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, that's a completely unfounded assumption.

Let's make the assumption that Zucker doesn't want to sign long term in Minnesota. What do we need to add to Ryan Dzingel to get him?

You’re right, it hasn’t been confirmed whether he will or not, but so far he hasn’t, and this is a discussion board, so let’s pretend he won’t sign, and go from there.

Start with Dumba and add.

You’re off your f***ing rocker if you think Dumba gets traded for a 26 year old 60 point RW. A guy who’s one year from UFA.

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The difference between Zucker and Stone is not Brodin, especially if the assumption that Stone won’t sign long term in Ottawa is true.

If you look at the underlying numbers either this year, the last two years, or even the last three years, they’re not THAT far apart. Stone is better offensively, but not by much. Defensively it’s hard to quantify. You can listen to the talking heads tell you how great Stone is defensively, but he only has marginally more SH TOI/g than Zucker despite being on a much worse team, and Zucker’s +/- is also better over the last three years, which also points to the fact that Stone has had a significant advantage in PP opportunity, giving him an edge on the point producing side.

What is the point of the trade for Minn then?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The point of the trade is primarily to draw from an overabundance of left shot wingers and add a second right shot winger. Coyle is the only other righty in our top-9. Stone represents a potential upgrade to our top-6 that way as well, though he's still never actually put up more points than Zucker did this year. And Zucker is the better goal scorer.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The main point from our end would be to trade a lefty for a righty.

As far as our wingers go, at the NHL level and in the system...

Left-handed: Parise, Granlund, Nino, Zucker, Greenway, Sokolov, Kaprizov
Right-handed: Coyle, Kunin (might be a center)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The point of the trade is primarily to draw from an overabundance of left shot wingers and add a second right shot winger. Coyle is the only other righty in our top-9. Hoffman represents a potential upgrade to our top-6 that way as well, though he's still never actually put up more points than Zucker did this year. And Zucker is the better goal scorer.

Stone.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The main point from our end would be to trade a lefty for a righty.

As far as our wingers go, at the NHL level and in the system...

Left-handed: Parise, Granlund, Nino, Zucker, Greenway, Sokolov, Kaprizov
Right-handed: Coyle, Kunin (might be a center)

And to further display the lack of right-handed players in the top-9, Staal, Koivu and Eriksson Ek at C are all lefty as well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think most concede that Stone is better, so the is that if Ott cant resign him. Also Helps out imbalance between RW and LW.

Stone is marginally better, yes. If the point of the deal was to acquire a big upgrade over Zucker, we'd look to see if we could acquire Panarin. As it is, I think the primary goal of this deal is to swap a lefty for a righty.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The point of the trade is primarily to draw from an overabundance of left shot wingers and add a second right shot winger. Coyle is the only other righty in our top-9. Stone represents a potential upgrade to our top-6 that way as well, though he's still never actually put up more points than Zucker did this year. And Zucker is the better goal scorer.

I think the main issue is that OTT doesn’t necessarily have an abundance of RWers either. I prefaced my post with not understanding Brodins value honestly. He doesn’t seem to have progressed as hoped. Maybe a prospect like Greenway but I think they’d rather have a rw prospect

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think the main issue is that OTT doesn’t necessarily have an abundance of RWers either. I prefaced my post with not understanding Brodins value honestly. He doesn’t seem to have progressed as hoped. Maybe a prospect like Greenway but I think they’d rather have a rw prospect

We don't have RW prospects either except for Kunin who could arguably be a tandem center with Eriksson Ek depending on what happens with Staal and Koivu.
Like I said, this deal ONLY happens if Ottawa can't sign Stone to a long term contract that they're satisfied with. Because of that as well, any high level prospect (Kunin, Greenway, Kaprizov) is a no go. That would be too much value going to Ottawa for a marginal upgrade and a shift of handedness.

Again, the basis for the deal is:

Zucker (4-6 yrs, ~$6M)
Small +

for

Stone (RFA or 1 yr deal)

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
lol stone is marginally better?

Yes, Stone is marginally better because the only thing he has over Zucker is more than a one year track record. To go along with that, Stone has also seen significantly more PP time and premier offensive minutes in general over the past 3 years, and even still does not score at a significantly higher P/60 rate. His career high in points is 64, which is how many Zucker scored last year. Zucker is also the better goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad