Value of: Minnesota Embraces the Rebuild: Fire Sale

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't see the point in moving Zucker for Jost (with whatever adds). We wouldn't need cap space and long term it's unlikely that Jost develops into a better player than Zucker.

The point would have to be that, at worst, you thought you were setting back the clock on Zucker by 7 years. At best, that Jost is going to turn into a good #2C behind Boldy or Byfield or whoever. You'd definitely need to do your due diligence on Jost's game, but that would be the rationale.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What do you want for Fiala from the Canucks?

The thing about trading Fiala is that he’s only 23 and has tons of potential. There’s no sense in trading him unless it’s for a clear upgrade (some sort of a package) or for a center of some sort. And I don’t mean the sort of center that’s Brandon Sutter. A similar or better center.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The thing about trading Fiala is that he’s only 23 and has tons of potential. There’s no sense in trading him unless it’s for a clear upgrade (some sort of a package) or for a center of some sort. And I don’t mean the sort of center that’s Brandon Sutter. A similar or better center.
What about a center prospect

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Does Jost even play center? Newhook doesn’t.

He should play center exclusively. He is just not a wing. His games at center are day/night compared to when he plays at wing. Hopefully, Bednar keeps him at center.

PS

The Avalanche scouted Newhook for the entire year before they drafted him. He is going nowhere.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He should play center exclusively. He is just not a wing. His games at center are day/night compared to when he plays at wing. Hopefully, Bednar keeps him at center.

PS

The Avalanche scouted Newhook for the entire year before they drafted him. He is going nowhere.

I wouldn't expect Newhook to be available. I was just noting that he probably isn't a center. At least, he's playing left wing at BC.

In theory, Newhook-Jost-Kaut could be a cool second line in the future?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I wouldn't expect Newhook to be available. I was just noting that he probably isn't a center. At least, he's playing left wing at BC.

In theory, Newhook-Jost-Kaut could be a cool second line in the future?

In theory, yes, but I'm not holding my breath. Kaut looked pretty damn good in preseason, but I still have questions about his overall skill level. I'd be thrilled if he ends up a low end two-way 2nd liner. Newhook is a huge question mark for me. I hope we've gotten a 2nd liner in him, but we will see. Jost, I have no idea what we have in him. He looks great in some games when he is at C, then painfully unnoticeable for a handful of games, especially on the wing.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
As a Wild fan, I would rather keep Eriksson-Ek(C) over Greenway and Kunin. Bottom line is that I don't think that any of those three should be treated as anything precious.

Zucker is the one guy that is playing decently amongst our top 9 forwards(our best forwards have been Foligno and Hartman), and would have value for a team looking to compete now. I was thinking something like Backes(present C) + Studnicka(future C) for Zucker, but I don't think that BOS needs a LW, though his speed would certainly be welcome, and Zucker going there would make a Coyle signing a near certainty...they are best friends. Getting rid of Backes contract would be a huge win for BOS, a team that is still a Cup contender.

I would like to target Mittelstadt, Poehling, or Veleno, amongst many other young C's.

The Boston deal is a fair deal, but hard for Boston to give up any potential top 6C when Bergeron and Krejci are so old. Also, they really need a RW over a LW with Marchand, DeBrusk, Heinen and Bjork all being natural LW. Basically, Boston I think is a tough fit since their needs (top 6 C prospects, right handed wingers) seem to be some of the Wild's primary needs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The point would have to be that, at worst, you thought you were setting back the clock on Zucker by 7 years. At best, that Jost is going to turn into a good #2C behind Boldy or Byfield or whoever. You'd definitely need to do your due diligence on Jost's game, but that would be the rationale.
Fair enough. From the little I've seen of Jost it seems unlikely that he'll be a center so I've been thinking of him as a winger. If Avs fans think differently I'll defer to them.

More than that though I guess with Jost in particular (and to some extent Donato, Greenway and Kunin as well) I worry that a rebuilding team is exactly the wrong environment for him to try to take that final step toward being an NHLer. Acquiring him makes sense if we're trying to do things "on the fly" and remain competitive. If the expectation is that the team is going to be outright bad for a year or two I'd rather target assets that'll be somewhat shielded from the radioactivity of a losing team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair enough. From the little I've seen of Jost it seems unlikely that he'll be a center so I've been thinking of him as a winger. If Avs fans think differently I'll defer to them.

More than that though I guess with Jost in particular (and to some extent Donato, Greenway and Kunin as well) I worry that a rebuilding team is exactly the wrong environment for him to try to take that final step toward being an NHLer. Acquiring him makes sense if we're trying to do things "on the fly" and remain competitive. If the expectation is that the team is going to be outright bad for a year or two I'd rather target assets that'll be somewhat shielded from the radioactivity of a losing team.

It's also maybe slightly concerning that one Avs fan said he's better at center because there's less thinking and more working.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It's also maybe slightly concerning that one Avs fan said he's better at center because there's less thinking and more working.

It was meant to suggest that he is too much in his head when along the boards. It's not that he has poor hockey IQ. His biggest drawback is the lack of a good first stride. When he gets going he can keep up, but his agility isn't what it needs to be successful on the quick Avs. He is far better suited for center because this isn't such an issue there.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It was meant to suggest that he is too much in his head when along the boards. It's not that he has poor hockey IQ. His biggest drawback is the lack of a good first stride. When he gets going he can keep up, but his agility isn't what it needs to be successful on the quick Avs. He is far better suited for center because this isn't such an issue there.

Fair enough. For what it's worth I really liked watching him when I was at North Dakota, and I hope he finds success with you guys.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Minnesota has been desperate for game-breaking talent since Gaborik left in 2009. The best way to do that is the draft. Wild fans, including myself, are dreaming of Lafreniere on the future top line with Boldy and Kaprizov. Doing a rebuild should net the Wild some top prospects the next 2-4 years. With that being said, here are the pieces that Minnesota has to offer to your team:

Eric Staal
Jason Zucker (m-NTC)
Kevin Fiala
Ryan Donato
Marcus Foligno
Ryan Hartman
Joel Eriksson Ek
Victor Rask
Devan Dubnyk

The "you'd really have to make it worth it for Minnesota to trade them" pile:
Matt Dumba (if you're not offering an under 27 1st line center don't even bother trying)
Jonas Brodin

The NMC (would need to waive) pile:
Mats Zuccarello
Mikko Koivu
Jared Spurgeon

The "won't happen cause of cap recapture" pile:
Suter
Parise

The "young players that Wild management and coaches seem to love" pile:
Luke Kunin
Jordan Greenway

Needs/Wants:
-Draft picks
-top prospects
-Under 25 NHL players, preferably center and right handed right wingers

What would the ask be from the Leafs for...

Foligno at 50%
Greenway

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
What would the ask be from the Leafs for...

Foligno at 50%
Greenway

Earlier in the thread a few Leaf fans had been interested in Foligno for Kapanen swap.

Adding in Greenway and the 50% Foligno, I am not sure. I like Greenway a lot and I don't think he's scraped his potential yet so moving him is tough/costly.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Mitch Marner + ?

for

Matt Dumba
Jason Zucker

Would love to expand to include Foligno but even at 50% the Leafs need to send money back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don’t really see anything that entices me. I’m sure the deal would be around Kapanen, though.

Earlier in the thread a few Leaf fans had been interested in Foligno for Kapanen swap.

Adding in Greenway and the 50% Foligno, I am not sure. I like Greenway a lot and I don't think he's scraped his potential yet so moving him is tough/costly.

Same conclusion for me. Leafs depth at RW has gotten strong and Kapanen has been forced to LW due to injury which says to me LW needs to be upgraded.

Foligno at 50% for Kapanen seems like a losing proposition just because I figure once he goes back to RW he will look normal again. Foligno couldn't put up the offense to make that trade look good.

Greenway would be a pure potential kind of bet.

I guess I can satisfy the curiosity with "something around Kapanen" lol.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

This is probably the most realistic Zucker to Colorado return just because he’s the furthest from contributing to the NHL team of the various choices, and it’s LW for LW.

Mitch Marner + ?

for

Matt Dumba
Jason Zucker

Would love to expand to include Foligno but even at 50% the Leafs need to send money back.

Dumba for a U27 top 6 C with term

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->