Value of: Minnesota Embraces the Rebuild: Fire Sale

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Unfortunately for Wild fans, MGMT continually hitches their wagon to the wrong core, ensuring a decade of bubble-team status. It's all the 30+ guys that need to go. Staal should return a 1st at the deadline, but otherwise, they all appear to be in this for the long haul.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Unfortunately for Wild fans, MGMT continually hitches their wagon to the wrong core, ensuring a decade of bubble-team status. It's all the 30+ guys that need to go. Staal should return a 1st at the deadline, but otherwise, they all appear to be in this for the long haul.
sadly we knew this before this year.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

It’s ownership that hitched their wagon to Suter, Parise, Koivu, Zuccarello, etc. Now there’s no way to trade these guys because they all have NMC’s. Leipold rushed in to the Suter/Parise signings and now he wants to see a return on his $200M investment so he’ll keep throwing money at guys like Zuccarello this summer to hopefully stay relevant.

With 6 years left on the Suter/Parise contracts, a very down year this season might be the best thing for us. We have Boldy and Kaprizov coming through next year, the year after. We have some other decent prospects who could be big players in the future.

I agree, players like Staal, Koivu, Zuccarello and Zucker should be moved if possible (only because Suter/Parise aren’t moveable at all). I don’t think moving guys like Fiala, Kunin, Donato, Greenway and Eriksson Ek is smart at this point unless we’re getting a clear upgrade on them. They can slot in as the solid youngish depth behind Boldy, Kaprizov and whoever we get in the first this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Parise with his second goal, which he got by falling into an EN while flailing at the puck. His first was off his butt.

I would send Fiala to EDM for Pulju and a 2nd. Stinks, because I'd far rather have Granlund, but I'm in a gambling mood at this point. It's still possible that Fiala ends up being nothing more than a short Pulju. The guy has tools, but...can also use a RHS forward.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Parise with his second goal, which he got by falling into an EN while flailing at the puck. His first was off his butt.

I would send Fiala to EDM for Pulju and a 2nd. Stinks, because I'd far rather have Granlund, but I'm in a gambling mood at this point. It's still possible that Fiala ends up being nothing more than a short Pulju. The guy has tools, but...can also use a RHS forward.

You must not be a very good gambler taking odds like that.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019

Not sure that's good value

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Jost And a small add?
We need a center (right shot preferable but not reqired) and/or a right shot rw. I haven't gone over the Avs roster/prospects, what are you willing to offer?

Jost and perhaps a mid round pick for Zucker is a deal I think most Avs fans would be fine with.

Avs have an over-abundance of center depth and could use a proper top 6 winger.

Bowers/Newhook are joining at C soon, and with Mackinnon, Kadri, Compher, and Bellemare already on the roster it makes sense to move Jost for someone who fits the top 6 wing position a bit better.

Jost is an RFA this summer so his value to Colorado decreases after this season, but he’d still be a good young player for a rebuilding team to acquire.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jost and perhaps a mid round pick for Zucker is a deal I think most Avs fans would be fine with.

Avs have an over-abundance of center depth and could use a proper top 6 winger.

Bowers/Newhook are joining at C soon, and with Mackinnon, Kadri, Compher, and Bellemare already on the roster it makes sense to move Jost for someone who fits the top 6 wing position a bit better.

Jost is an RFA this summer so his value to Colorado decreases after this season, but he’d still be a good young player for a rebuilding team to acquire.

Does Jost even play center? Newhook doesn’t.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I wonder if Jost's size would make him a better wing than center. If that's the case, then he ends up addressing neither need for us.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Does Jost even play center? Newhook doesn’t.
Jost is a more natural fit at center than on the wing. Bednar specifically commented on it after last game too, something to the effect of Jost having less thinking and more work to do as a center, which he thinks works better for him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Jost is a more natural fit at center than on the wing. Bednar specifically commented on it after last game too, something to the effect of Jost having less thinking and more work to do as a center, which he thinks works better for him.
People used to say the same for Granlund, but then it was later proven that Granlund was simply a better player across the board at wing.

Not saying 5'11" players can't play center, but larger players tend to have more success there due to the defensive responsibilities of the position.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't see the point in moving Zucker for Jost (with whatever adds). We wouldn't need cap space and long term it's unlikely that Jost develops into a better player than Zucker.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see the point in moving Zucker for Jost (with whatever adds). We wouldn't need cap space and long term it's unlikely that Jost develops into a better player than Zucker.
Newhook is the name I would be interested in

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When Hextall was interviewed for the GM job, he said they should rebuild and that was part of the reason he was not hired. Didn't tell owner what he wanted to hear.

But hey...owner knows best.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jost....he's young, and was drafted high, but he's shown next to nothing in the NHL so far. We'd have to scout the crap out of him before we send our most dangerous forward(yes, it's come to that)away in trade.

At this point, MN is chock full of young forwards who haven't shown anything in the NHL. Ek, Fiala, Donato, Kunin, Greenway...would Jost be any different?

Oh, and trading Zucker would make us the slowest team in the league.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
When Hextall was interviewed for the GM job, he said they should rebuild and that was part of the reason he was not hired. Didn't tell owner what he wanted to hear.

Source?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I'll echo 2Pair's request for a source.

It's hearsay, but Russo's indicated that it was mostly worries about Hextall's personality being too close to Fenton's that made Leipold veer away from him as a candidate. He'd just fired Fenton for tanking front office morale, so it makes sense that he'd avoid bringing in a guy that had similar rumors (reliable or not) following him out of Philadelphia. It also makes sense that he'd go with a guy like Guerin that has a reputation for being the polar opposite of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad