Proposal: Minnesota - Edmonton

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by DingDongCharlie, Sep 20, 2019.

1. DingDongCharlie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    This proposal isn’t going to a sexy blockbuster that gets everyone excited. That said...

Puljujarvi + Russell for Ek + Rask

Edmonton rolls the dice on Rask rebounding as we could use a 3C and a change of scenery on Puljujarvi

Minnesota saves the cap hit on the 3rd year on a Rask for Russell swap and gets to see if Puljujarvi can put it together in another market.

Being an Oiler fan I do feel there needs to be an incentive for Edmonton eating that 3rd year on the Rask contract but I left it as a straight swap just to see if anyone is interested in the base

2. ColoradoCanes Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Med Student
    Pretty eh. I think Puljujarvi pretty easily has the higher ceiling.

Russell for Rask is a wash at best. I’d do it since Jesse doesn’t want to play for us anymore, but I think minny wins the deal

ivanlwan and DingDongCharlie like this.
  3. MisterT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No idea what would entice Minnesota to do this. Both pieces they are trading have higher values than the pieces they are getting in return.

4. Chayos Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Project Manager
    I disagree, Rask is huge salary dump where as Russel is a veteran number 5 who is slightly over paid. Sucking up Rask is the price to upgrade from Puljujarvi to Ek.

DingDongCharlie likes this.
  5. AKL Boldly Save Us

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah that’s not enticing at all.

BHD likes this.
  6. Homesick Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wouldn't even blink on this as an Oilers fan.
    Rather keep Puljujarvi and hope Seattle claims his rights in the expansion draft

Dan Kelly likes this.
  7. MisterT Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Most would expect to see Rask fighting with Sheehan for the Oilers 3rd line centre role while Russel would be at best #6 on the Wild defense depth chart. Pujularvi has similar value to Nikita Filatov once his time ended in Columbus. Holding out and signing in Europe has likely even lowered than value.

8. GhostfaceWu Shi Shaw

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No, they don't. I'm sure teams are biting their nails trying to grab a 4 million dollar Rask for the next 3 years who just put up a horrific season. EK has the same stats as Puljujari except he's a year older. The only thing seperating the two is one asked for a trade sorry but that doesn't diminish his on ice value comparatively to EK who is just as underwhelming when he's on the ice.

9. 2Pair Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Wild fan here that would make this trade. Having said that, none of the 4 players involved are guys that I would want on my team

AreUmadBro96 and DingDongCharlie like this.
  10. TropicalFruitGirl2 A Peachy Hockey Gal!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Mom, Admin assistant
    You know, normally I find proposals on hfboards to be on the ridiculous side, but in this case, from a Wild perspective, I'd actually do this.

Turning Rask (whom we gave up the MUCH better Nino Neidderreiter for) into either a Russell or Pulju is a win immediately. No matter how you slice it.
    Russell is a decent low pairing D and Pulju is well, we don't know what he is yet.....but we DO know, the chances of Rask 'rebounding' as a member of the bottom six in Minnesota is close to nil.
    Maybe he rebounds elsewhere, but with the Wild he seems "stuck" as either a 3C or 4C and I don't see that as any sort of recipe for him to get better.... hell, he maybe what he is, no matter WHERE he goes.

As for those that might be saying the Wild are giving up on EEK, well, I don't see it that way.
    EEK has been given chances with injuries to guys like Koivu, Parise...the trading away of the aforementioned Nino and Charlie Coyle....and the guy just moves along in his development at a seemingly glacial pace.
    I don't "hate" EEK, but he isn't what the Wild need if they plan on trying to 'retool on the fly' and still try to win with the current aging core.

Again, I'd rather have Russell on defense and Pulju with a chance to show some spark in the lineup because I know neither Rask or EEK are going to elevate anything on the Wild anytime soon.

All purely from a Minnesota perspective......I doubt this trade does anything for Edmonton to be quite honest.

11. AKL Boldly Save Us

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You will get no spark with Puljujarvi. If you’re disappointed with how Ek has progressed you will hate Puljujarvi.

Puljujarvi is similar to Ek, but minus Ek’s work ethic and IQ.

AJ Thelen and TropicalFruitGirl2 like this.
  12. TropicalFruitGirl2 A Peachy Hockey Gal!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Mom, Admin assistant
    You wouldn't be wrong..... lol
    But just the off chance Pulju has something he hasn't shown may be worth it.... plus getting rid of Rask and his contract.

But yea, not a whole lot would be going on with a deal like this here for either side realistically.

DingDongCharlie likes this.
  13. Coffey Filter not a homer

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not sure why anyone wants JP. He’s like Yakupov with slower feet and a weaker shot.

Highmarker likes this.
  14. DingDongCharlie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah I get that too. I was just trying to think of a way to exchange a few pieces that generally don’t have much or any value into a potentially better situation for team and player.

Same kinda deal as a Neal for Lucic. The players don’t work or fit in their current situation, throw something at the wall and see if it sticks.

15. DingDongCharlie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Year 3 they save $4 million on Rask as Russell at the same cap hit only has 2 years remaining.

16. ColoradoCanes Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Med Student
    Its funny how you reveal how little you know with just 2 sentences.

Theres only 1 reason in the entire world that you like EEK over Puljujarvi and thats because of the sweater they wear. Not actual play analysis.

Dan Kelly likes this.
  17. AKL Boldly Save Us

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Lol

AJ Thelen likes this.
  18. Burnt Biscuits Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not going to argue the Pulju vs Ek portion, reasonable cases can be made for both, but I'd much much rather have Russell than Rask, every single viewing I've had of Rask in the past couple of years he's been crap. Russell is overpaid, but is a glue guy and reliable 4/5D tweener and versatile cause he can play either D position, just about any team in the league could use him, they just don't want him at his pricetag. Rask on the other hand is looking like he's holding onto a 4C position by his fingertips, his work ethic just doesn't look as high as when he was having some success, Russell on the other hand is a consummate pro always working hard and is always willing to sacrifice his body for the team.

Dan Kelly likes this.
  19. Highmarker Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    As an oiler fan Id consider this trade I like Russell but I think if we could get a decent prospect out of puljujarvi we should. Got very little faith in him amounting to much.

20. rynryn Reluctant Optimist

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    secret
    Really not excited about giving up on Joel...He hasn't had time enough here. He's strong, he gets riled up, he's a center. The quickly fading potential of Puljujarvi isn't worth that.
    I'd rather have Russel than Rask at this point too--or i would if we weren't already set for defense.

21. tony d Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Office Worker
    Doubt the Wild do this. Pool Party's a bust it looks like and Russell's past his best before date.

BHD likes this.
  22. Hockeyfan200 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Russo, who covers wild has literally said Joel has been good. He passed Brodreau's skating test with record time & is being moved up lines 1-3. So yeah, & it looks as if bill guerin is close to or will be looking around to dump rask with draft pick

23. thadd Oil4Life

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    English teacher
    No thanks. We don't need to take on a contract like Rask's.
    We just in the midsts of cleansing out all of our bad ones.

Dan Kelly likes this.
  24. Digitalbooya Osiecki death stare

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Why don’t you fill us all in on this list of reasons that Puljujarvi is better than Eriksson Ek. I’d love to give it a read and dissect it.

AJ Thelen likes this.
  25. Jugitsu Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    EEK is actually serviceable player even when he's not scoring. Frustrating to watch at times? Hell yes, but still, at their current state, I'd much rather have EEK in my team than Puljujarvi. Pulju brings absolutely nothing to the table when he's not scoring, which is almost 100% of the time.

On the other hand, EEK should get prime opportunities this season. He has improved physically over the summer while his competition (Koivu and Staal) aren't getting any younger.