Minnesota at North Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
With the lively discussion that goes on here about the merits of NCAA play versus the CHL, I wanted to point out that there will be a fantastic two-game set this weekend, November 7-8, in Grand Forks, ND. The games should be televised on Fox Sports North, which I think can be picked up on some satellite systems throughout North America. This should be college hockey at its very best.

Minnesota has struggled a bit at the start of their season, but everyone knows they are one of the most talented teams in the country, and they will be there at the end. North Dakota is coming off a couple of disappointing seasons, but look to be improved this year. The last time an NCAA title game was played without one of these teams was in 1999.

UND's drafted players include:

Bochenski (Ott, 7)
Greene (Edm, 2)
Jones (Pho, 3)
Massen (NJ, 6)
Murray (LA, 5)
Parise (NJ, 1)
Porter (Chi, 9)
Schneider (Pit, 5)
Smaby (TB, 2)

MN's draftees are:

Guyer (Dal, 5)
Sertich (Pit, 5)
Ballard (Buf, 1)
Taylor (NYR, 6)
Vannelli (Atl, 4)
R. Potulny (Phi, 3)
G. Potulny (Ott, 5)
Irmen (Min, 3)
Martin (Chi, 6)
Koalska (Nas, 5)
Vanek (Buf, 1)
Tallackson (NJ, 2)

As is typical of NCAA teams, there isn't much in the way of undrafted prospects. The only one of note is Drew Stafford of UND, a 17-year old who is off to a great start and will be getting a ton of attention. He would need to opt in to the 2004 draft, rendering him ineligible for further NCAA play. So he is either a 2004 or 2005 prospect.

If you can catch these games, you should, because the teams will probably put on a good show.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
I'm expecting it to be a high scoring series. Especially with the way the Gophers are playing D. Shouldn't get too much better then this until the playoffs IMO.

cornpops

Sep 26, 2002
Twin Cities
Visit site
Gophers are in trouble because their top 2 dmen, Ballard and Harrington, will most likely be out injured. Speaking of Harrington, what's his draft status? He really impresses me. A lot.

I think UND may have some question marks of their own on defense.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
jake: I'm taping the games (as is customary for me to tape many of the NCAA games I see).

cornpops: Chris harrington is undrafted, and if I'm not mistaken will be too old to be drafted next summer (since he's a sophomore this year). FYI, Ballard is out 2-4 weeks. I don't know the exact status of Harrington, other than he didn't play on Saturday vs. DU.

For those of you who are gonna catch this game, one UND player to watch for who's been dynamite thus far and not many people are talking about....Quinn Fylling.

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
Jake Taylor

Oilers Chick said:
jake: I'm taping the games (as is customary for me to tape many of the NCAA games I see).

cornpops: Chris harrington is undrafted, and if I'm not mistaken will be too old to be drafted next summer (since he's a sophomore this year). FYI, Ballard is out 2-4 weeks. I don't know the exact status of Harrington, other than he didn't play on Saturday vs. DU.

For those of you who are gonna catch this game, one UND player to watch for who's been dynamite thus far and not many people are talking about....Quinn Fylling.

How has Jake Taylor looked so far? I realize he is a project for the Rangers and will need a few years development time but what is his style of play? Is he as tough stay at home defender who stands up for his teammates?

Thanks

petec1978*

PJ Atherton of Minnesota is a Lightning draft pick too.

-Pete Choquette

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Taylor has looked allright, no one on the gophers is playing well at the moment. He is clearing the crease and has been one our better physical players. To his credit he has not taken dumb pen either. Only freshmen d man to play all the conf games.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
These games should be barn-burners! 2 Heated rivals going at each other.

Minnesota is not playing well right now, and UND hasn't played anyone good (except BC, who they split with), so it will be interesting to watch. Being biased, I can't wait to see the so-called battle between Parise and Vanek. My prediction: Parise will get 6 points over the weekend and totally dominate when he's on the ice. Vanek will do nothing until the last 15 minutes of each game, and end up with 2 or 3 goals. Just like all of last year. But that's cause I'm biased!

As an added treat, the Hanson Brothers (of "Slap Shot" fame) are to make an appearance on Saturday night at Engelstad Arena. Why, I don't know, but it'll be fun to see!

Since Minnesota hasn't played in North Dakota in 2 years, these games should be NOISY!

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
Taylor has looked allright, no one on the gophers is playing well at the moment. He is clearing the crease and has been one our better physical players. To his credit he has not taken dumb pen either. Only freshmen d man to play all the conf games.

Thanks

I like what I read. The Rangers have enough offensive d-men in their system so a d-man that is defensive, smart (no dumb penalties) and can clear the crease is just what I am looking for.

Thanks again. :bow:

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:

He hasn't taken a dumb penalty, but over the weekend vs. Denver he made mistakes (turnovers) that led to a couple of scoring chances for the Pioneers.

Also, it looks like Vanek is starting to find his "groove". He was terrific in the Saturday night game vs. Denver.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
A good weekend to be a North Dakota fan. UND wins 7-3, 5-3. Vanek had to face UND's dominating defensive pair of Greene and Jones (both of whom played for the US at last year's WJCs) all weekend long, and he faded into the ice by the end of the weekend. Scoring lines for those three (note that the defensemen are defensive defensemen without a history of scoring):

Vanek 0-0-0
Greene 1-1-2
Jones 3-0-3

Other prominent players:

Parise 1-1-2
Bochenski 2-4-6
Murray 2-2-4

Riddle 2-0-2
Guyer 0-2-2
G. Potulny 1-0-1

Play of the weekend: MN up 1-0 in the first on Saturday, Vanek gets around the defense for the only time all weekend, goalie misses the pokecheck, and all Vanek has to do is tap it into the open net. Backchecking forward ties up his stick, saving the goal - none other than Zach Parise. Lamoreillo had to love it.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
jake1 said:
A good weekend to be a North Dakota fan. UND wins 7-3, 5-3. Vanek had to face UND's dominating defensive pair of Greene and Jones (both of whom played for the US at last year's WJCs) all weekend long, and he faded into the ice by the end of the weekend. Scoring lines for those three (note that the defensemen are defensive defensemen without a history of scoring):

Vanek 0-0-0
Greene 1-1-2
Jones 3-0-3

Other prominent players:

Parise 1-1-2
Bochenski 2-4-6
Murray 2-2-4

Riddle 2-0-2
Guyer 0-2-2
G. Potulny 1-0-1

Play of the weekend: MN up 1-0 in the first on Saturday, Vanek gets around the defense for the only time all weekend, goalie misses the pokecheck, and all Vanek has to do is tap it into the open net. Backchecking forward ties up his stick, saving the goal - none other than Zach Parise. Lamoreillo had to love it.

This is exactly the reason Parise should be a better NHL player than Vanek. He plays both ends of the ice well, and he hustles all the time. That was Vanek's only shot all weekend that was inside the blue line, by the way.
I was impressed by Troy Riddle (most of the time) this weekend. He played hard, even when it was evident Minnesota was going to lose (in the past 2 minutes of each game). He has a bit of a cheap-shot streak, but so do most college players when they are frustrated. It WAS a good weekend for North Dakota fans, but Minnesota will be better when they have everybody healthy again, and get their goaltending straightened out. Trust me, we North Dakota fans know about THAT after our past 2 seasons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad