Minnesota 2020-2021 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Allen Americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not THAT great!
The replacement coach for Boudreau, Evason, did very well. Sure surprised me.

I can see MN wanting to get a Russian speaker (or two)in their coaching ranks, to oversee the development of Khovanov, Kaprizov, and other Russian players(i.e. Lodnia/Sokolov/Guskov/Firstov/Gordeev), but the HC position is one where you don't screw around-it's all about the hockey. What can you tell us about Nemirovsky, @Caser ?

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not THAT great!
The replacement coach for Boudreau, Evason, did very well. Sure surprised me.

I can see MN wanting to get a Russian speaker (or two)in their coaching ranks, to oversee the development of Khovanov, Kaprizov, and other Russian players(i.e. Lodnia/Sokolov/Guskov/Firstov/Gordeev), but the HC position is one where you don't screw around-it's all about the hockey. What can you tell us about Nemirovsky, @Caser ?

About promotion, I also meant that other NHL franchises might be after Army too.

Nemirovsky has been a head coach for Torpedo in the KHL for two seasons, they have pretty meh roster, but were able to play pretty aggressive and attractive style of game, made the play-off both times.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ah...I see. Since Fenton hired Army, it's possible that he is looking elsewhere, or has been told to look elsewhere. I would think that Evason would get a NHL shot before Army, but what do I know?

Nemirovsky has certainly paid his dues, it appears. I wonder if he spoke Russian at home as a kid, or if he picked it up later in life when he went to the KHL?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Ah...I see. Since Fenton hired Army, it's possible that he is looking elsewhere, or has been told to look elsewhere. I would think that Evason would get a NHL shot before Army, but what do I know?

Nemirovsky has certainly paid his dues, it appears. I wonder if he spoke Russian at home as a kid, or if he picked it up later in life when he went to the KHL?

Both of his parents came to Canada from the Soviet Union, so I can imagine they spoke some Russian at home.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mayhew would've been first team if he hadn't lost those games due to being called up. Unfortunate that he couldn't get in the scoresheet in the NHL. I actually thought he looked ok...quick, and made smart decisions, but couldn't score.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Time to kickstart this one again eh?

Iowa Resigns Hunter Warner

Iowa Wild General Manager Tom Kurvers announced today the re-signing of defenseman Hunter Warner to a one-year, AHL contract for the 2020-21 season.

Warner, 25 (9/21/95), played in 27 games with the Wild last season, posting one goal and 30 penalty minutes (PIM). In his AHL career, Warner has logged 192 games, all with Iowa, recording 19 points (4g, 15a) and 211 PIM. The 6-foot-4, 223-lb. defenseman currently ranks ninth in games played and second in PIM in franchise history.

Reactions: Hamms Mann

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Has anyone heard if Allen will remain the ECHL affiliate?

Yes, I want to say they re-upped for another year a few months ago. It's an odd partnership in some ways, but the Wild have never been able to nail down an affiliate long term. Allen is a pretty solid franchise, I'd love to get down to Texas for a game at some point. Maybe a winter time trip?

Hamms Mann

Oct 7, 2020
Yes, I want to say they re-upped for another year a few months ago. It's an odd partnership in some ways, but the Wild have never been able to nail down an affiliate long term. Allen is a pretty solid franchise, I'd love to get down to Texas for a game at some point. Maybe a winter time trip?

Yeah, they had four championships in a row this past decade, between two leagues. Steve Martinson is coach/GM. Very talented guy.

Allen has always been able to construct good teams through minor league free agency. Guys want to come here because: a) they are more likely to play in playoff games. More playoff games = more money, and b) Martinson does a good job of hooking the older guys up with jobs that they could transition into after their playing days are over.

The arena is small but swanky. Really nice for an ECHL franchise. If you ever make the trip let me know!

Reactions: Paul Bunyan

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Yeah, they had four championships in a row this past decade, between two leagues. Steve Martinson is coach/GM. Very talented guy.

Allen has always been able to construct good teams through minor league free agency. Guys want to come here because: a) they are more likely to play in playoff games. More playoff games = more money, and b) Martinson does a good job of hooking the older guys up with jobs that they could transition into after their playing days are over.

The arena is small but swanky. Really nice for an ECHL franchise. If you ever make the trip let me know!

Yeah, I remember hoping they'd beat the crap out of Fort Wayne back in the CHL days (I had season tickets in Toledo for a few years).

I wonder if the Wild will make a play for the new Iowa ECHL team that starts the season after this one to get something "kinda" close---though it hasn't mattered in recent years.

Otherwise I follow Allen through most of the normal media channels and have a few gamers from their two most recent squads.

What did you think of their rebrand?

Hamms Mann

Oct 7, 2020
Yeah, I remember hoping they'd beat the crap out of Fort Wayne back in the CHL days (I had season tickets in Toledo for a few years).

I wonder if the Wild will make a play for the new Iowa ECHL team that starts the season after this one to get something "kinda" close---though it hasn't mattered in recent years.

Otherwise I follow Allen through most of the normal media channels and have a few gamers from their two most recent squads.

What did you think of their rebrand?

Selfishly, I hope the Wild and Allen stay together a few more years. ; )

That said, I’m also sentimental about the Kalamazoo Wings, who were the IHL “AAA” team for the Minnesota North Stars many moons ago. If the Wild ever switched in the future, it would be a cool possibility.

I envy your gamers! Did you get them on eBay?

I love the rebrand! Never was a HUGE fan of their original logo, it seemed kind of generic. But the new one definitely pops on the sweaters!

Reactions: Paul Bunyan

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Selfishly, I hope the Wild and Allen stay together a few more years. ; )

That said, I’m also sentimental about the Kalamazoo Wings, who were the IHL “AAA” team for the Minnesota North Stars many moons ago. If the Wild ever switched in the future, it would be a cool possibility.

I envy your gamers! Did you get them on eBay?

I love the rebrand! Never was a HUGE fan of their original logo, it seemed kind of generic. But the new one definitely pops on the sweaters!

I don't blame you! It's completely possible. I'd just really like some sort of long term affiliation, they've bounced around so many times. If it turns out to be Allen then that's fine by me.

The K-Wings were a big rival back in my Toledo days and we went up to see them play in Kalamazoo 3-4 times maybe? It was always a good time, and their rink is one of the old dingy ones that makes minor league hockey more fun for me than our modern stadiums. I think Wings Stadium was built in the 1970s?

The Americans auctioned a lot of their jerseys off on two apps one was called Livesource and another was Dash. Easiest way to get my hands on them. I've got two Haytons and Sheehy from last year. I've got pictures up on the link in my profile of those and most of my current collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->