Minnesota 2020-2021 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Allen Americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So what are the roster rules for AHL playoff teams? I mean if MN doesn't make the Playoffs and Iowa does. Could JEE, Greenway, and Kunin all end up on the Iowa, or do they have to be playing with the team after a certain point on the calendar?

I don’t think so. Guys have played in the playoffs without playing a single regular season game I think.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don’t think so. Guys have played in the playoffs without playing a single regular season game I think.

I've seen it where college kids come in and play in the Playoffs without any AHL time. But I wasn't sure about the guys that were on the NHL roster for some/all of the season. Iowa has been a tirefire and the NHL team was in the Playoffs it's something I was thought about. :dunno:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
So what are the roster rules for AHL playoff teams? I mean if MN doesn't make the Playoffs and Iowa does. Could JEE, Greenway, and Kunin all end up on the Iowa, or do they have to be playing with the team after a certain point on the calendar?

All three are waivers exempt therefore all three are eligible for the Calder Cup Playoffs. The trade deadline is the deadline to get those players on the roster but it's just a paper transaction so if they're with the NHL club, they'll be "sent down" via a paper transaction and be eligible for the playoffs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So what do we make of Iowa's success so far? There aren't many big name prospects playing down there. Just a bunch of AHL vets getting it done?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So what do we make of Iowa's success so far? There aren't many big name prospects playing down there. Just a bunch of AHL vets getting it done?
Guys like O'Reilly, Kloos, Rau, and Murphy are carrying a lot of the load, but it's encouraging to see first year guys like Shaw, Sokolov, Belpedio and Kahkonen doing well and contributing. Kunin and Greenway also seem to have benefited from time there; hopefully Eriksson-Ek will as well. I don't think it's necessarily a shining beacon of hope, but as a farm team it seems to be on the right track.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Guys like O'Reilly, Kloos, Rau, and Murphy are carrying a lot of the load, but it's encouraging to see first year guys like Shaw, Sokolov, Belpedio and Kahkonen doing well and contributing. Kunin and Greenway also seem to have benefited from time there; hopefully Eriksson-Ek will as well. I don't think it's necessarily a shining beacon of hope, but as a farm team it seems to be on the right track.

I'm happy to see that Sokolov doing so well in the AHL. Shaw is a surprise, but glad he's doing well as well. Having Hammond probably helps as well. But yeah I don't think Eriksson-Ek should be called up any time soon.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Nice to see a vet like COR get into the ASG. Goalie KK with a nod too.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Nice to see a vet like COR get into the ASG. Goalie KK with a nod too.

KK looked really impressive through all aspects of the All Star game. Super calm and composed, he's looking really promising in terms of a threat to steal starts from a backup role when he's given his chance as a backup in the NHL.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just checked out the ECHL standings, and it's not pretty.

33 games with a record of 7-24-0 (16p). The only other team close has 18p, but has 5 games in hand.

Well I guess they have improved a little over the last month with a 7-4-3 record. (14-28-3 on the season)

The are still at the bottom of the league, but now tied with 2 other teams with 33 points. One of those teams has 8 games in hand the other has 2 games in hand.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Having an alternative to Doobs as a starter in a year or two would be huge. I've had my share of complaints about Doobs, but one the whole, he's been solid, and a great addition to the team.

I do think that the style of play that MN has does help goalies, though.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Well I guess they have improved a little over the last month with a 7-4-3 record. (14-28-3 on the season)

The are still at the bottom of the league, but now tied with 2 other teams with 33 points. One of those teams has 8 games in hand the other has 2 games in hand.

and historically, they've been one of the best in the league since joining. Won it twice since the move to the E and in the playoffs the last two years and this year....horrific.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
and historically, they've been one of the best in the league since joining. Won it twice since the move to the E and in the playoffs the last two years and this year....horrific.

I wouldn't mind so much that they were bad if they had a cool/different name: Swamp Rabbits, Solar Bears, Walleye, Steelheads, Railers, Nailers, etc.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I wouldn't mind so much that they were bad if they had a cool/different name: Swamp Rabbits, Solar Bears, Walleye, Steelheads, Railers, Nailers, etc.

I just wish they'd settle on one affiliate...they keep jumping all over the place. We did have the Solar Bears in the past couple of years though. Walleye will never move from Detroit affiliation sadly (they used to be Chicago too when they started) and that's a great place to see a game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just wish they'd settle on one affiliate...they keep jumping all over the place. We did have the Solar Bears in the past couple of years though. Walleye will never move from Detroit affiliation sadly (they used to be Chicago too when they started) and that's a great place to see a game.
Nature of the beast

P10p

May 15, 2012
Bought the AHL Live package. Ek digging at the goalie after the whistle so a couple condor players give him the business. You see Kunin come flying in to help EK and he bowls one guy into the net :laugh:

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This is the guy GMPF traded Jenys for, in case anyone is wondering who he is.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Odd to bring up a 3rd goalie for an away game on the west coast. Is one of the Iowa goalies hurt?

Tony Ferrari

Mar 13, 2019
Hey guys! I’m the new prospects writer/scout at Dobber Prospects. Currently updating all the scouting reports for the Wild Prospects. Some of the recent profiles that have been updated are Kahkonen, Kaprizov, Bitten and more. I want to make sure I’m serving the Wild community so if there is anyone you guys want updates on, anyone you think needs to be looked at more or anything at all, let me know. The main page for the Wild is below. Let me know!

Minnesota Wild

Tony Ferrari

Mar 13, 2019
Hey guys! I’m the new prospects writer/scout at Dobber Prospects. Currently updating all the scouting reports for the Wild Prospects. Some of the recent profiles that have been updated are Kahkonen, Kaprizov, Bitten and more. I want to make sure I’m serving the Wild community so if there is anyone you guys want updates on, anyone you think needs to be looked at more or anything at all, let me know. The main page for the Wild is below. Let me know!

Minnesota Wild

If you want to follow me on Twitter, I’m always tweeting about hockey in general but I’ll be keeping things up to date for the Wild there as well!

Tony Ferrari (@theTonyFerrari) on Twitter

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Minnesota Wild

Always appreciate the work you all do over at Dobber.

A couple guys are no longer Wild prospects: Avery Peterson and Nick Boka (at least no indication they'll sign him).

Need to add: Mat Robson, Connor Dewar, Shawn Boudrias, Damien Giroux, Simon Johansson, Brandon Duhaime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad