Minnesota 2020-2021 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Allen Americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Agreed. More importantly, want him to build up his strength. AHL is a tough league, and will test him. Just not as fast as the NHL. Seems like a lot of players who have success in the AHL have trouble adjusting to the quicker pace of the NHL.

If he's above a PPG after another 2 weeks in Iowa I'd give him a call-up. He spent a bunch of time in the AHL last year, so he's had the learning year of what it is to be a pro hockey player already. He also seems to have the personality of a guy that likes to be challenged.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
why? Iowa has good depth on D for the first time in a few years and Soucy was always overrated - his development has been a pleasant surprise but his NHL time was the result of lack of options. Yes, Sokolov has a skill set but he's a long way from where he needs to be for a pro career.

So we should be expecting a Soucy trade to MTL any day now, right? :sarcasm:

The Martinsson, Bartkowski, and Belpedio additions over last year's squad did do a lot for Iowa's d-corps depth. Add in Murphy and there's 4 of the 6 d-men spots filled. That leaves Menell, Bourmon, Warner, and Soucy are fighting to fill in those last 2 spots.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
So we should be expecting a Soucy trade to MTL any day now, right? :sarcasm:

The Martinsson, Bartkowski, and Belpedio additions over last year's squad did do a lot for Iowa's d-corps depth. Add in Murphy and there's 4 of the 6 d-men spots filled. That leaves Menell, Bourmon, Warner, and Soucy are fighting to fill in those last 2 spots.

But, but, but.. Fletcher said Olofsson was a 1st rounder drafted in the 2nd! And he had a huuuge upside! :facepalm:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Back-to-back 10:30 am (school day) games for Iowa the next 2 days. I don't pay that close of attention to AHL schedules overall, but is this normal?

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Back-to-back 10:30 am (school day) games for Iowa the next 2 days. I don't pay that close of attention to AHL schedules overall, but is this normal?
I intern for the Milwaukee Admirals and we just had our first school day game on wednesday, 10:30 am start as well. However, our next day game isn't until the spring so even though we have two day games as well they are spread out so I don't know how common it is.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I intern for the Milwaukee Admirals and we just had our first school day game on wednesday, 10:30 am start as well. However, our next day game isn't until the spring so even though we have two day games as well they are spread out so I don't know how common it is.

That's cool. I'm headed to the MKE game tomorrow, free vet ticket day.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
That's cool. I'm headed to the MKE game tomorrow, free vet ticket day.
Awesome, have you been to a game before? Should be a great atmosphere with the military salute night and with Rockford coming to town. Keep an eye on Tolvanen he's been fun on the power play.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Awesome, have you been to a game before? Should be a great atmosphere with the military salute night and with Rockford coming to town. Keep an eye on Tolvanen he's been fun on the power play.

Yea. I hit a couple of games every year in MKE and RFD the last few years. I try and catch at least 1 Iowa game at each if possible.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And IA beats them again 6-0. over 100 minutes in penalties. KK stopped 38 shots. Now tied for 1st?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sokolov still putting points up, even though I'm guessing that he isn't getting prime TOI. Shaw, Rau, Murphy and COR have to merit a call up at some point as a reward. Hope Kunin gets his offensive game going. Being a two way player is good, but...goalz.

KK with a .972 %, 0.79 GAA. That can't last, but...whooaa!

Reactions: FVM and nstarjim

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Haven't been able to watch any games, can anyone tell me what Mason Shaw has looked like? He always impressed me when he was in the WHL playing against my home town Cougars, and I'm curious how not playing for a year has affected him.

Stat sheet wise his numbers look pretty good for a pro rookie, especially given his smaller size. What can the Iowa Wild faithful tell me beyond his scoring numbers?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Haven't been able to watch any games, can anyone tell me what Mason Shaw has looked like? He always impressed me when he was in the WHL playing against my home town Cougars, and I'm curious how not playing for a year has affected him.

Stat sheet wise his numbers look pretty good for a pro rookie, especially given his smaller size. What can the Iowa Wild faithful tell me beyond his scoring numbers?

haven't watched a ton of games yet, but his strength and skill level have been impressive. Might have to manage his minutes slightly as the season goes on, but I think it was a great pick. Perfect example of not worrying about a guy's birthdate - look at his skills first.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
haven't watched a ton of games yet, but his strength and skill level have been impressive. Might have to manage his minutes slightly as the season goes on, but I think it was a great pick. Perfect example of not worrying about a guy's birthdate - look at his skills first.

Or his height.

Am I missing something about the age? Is it not pretty normal to turn 18 in your draft year?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Or his height.

Am I missing something about the age? Is it not pretty normal to turn 18 in your draft year?

He's a November birthday ... sometimes scouts will ding a guy a bit for being in his third CHL season or just missing the prior year's draft class, as if those extra few months made him some kind of behemoth. But a guy can't be drafted before he's eligible so ...

Anyhow, Shaw is a great story. Hope he can keep going like this.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Iowa Wild have a decent twitter account. It's nice to see the goals the guys there are scoring. Fitzgerald has a nasty shot.

Reactions: Minnesota

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just checked out the ECHL standings, and it's not pretty.

33 games with a record of 7-24-0 (16p). The only other team close has 18p, but has 5 games in hand.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So what are the roster rules for AHL playoff teams? I mean if MN doesn't make the Playoffs and Iowa does. Could JEE, Greenway, and Kunin all end up on the Iowa, or do they have to be playing with the team after a certain point on the calendar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad