Minnesota 2020-2021 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Allen Americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kunin, Lucia and Bertschy as well.
In aggregate that probably adds up to quite a loss as well, and the timing relative to the trade deadline seems to work.

It seems like Iowa still took a little bit of a step this year, but hopefully adding guys like Sokolov and Belpedio will provide a boost next year too. And hopefully Minnesota doesn't need to suck them quite as dry on call-ups.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I actually hope we do suck them dry, because that will mean that Sokolov, Kunin, maybe Soucy will be playing well enough to help the big club.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I actually hope we do suck them dry, because that will mean that Sokolov, Kunin, maybe Soucy will be playing well enough to help the big club.

We don't have the room in the lineup to play those guys in the NHL in the roles that we'd want them to be in. We'll have 1 top 9 spot open, and probably only 1 defense spot depending on if they pencil in a Seeler/Prosser 3rd pair to start the year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
assuming that there are no trades in the off season, or even in season. One of the things that really stinks about the Suter injury is that it has given the Wild another excuse for failing in the PO's. If he had stayed healthy and we exited early(again), then I would have expected some soul searching from our management about our "core", and possibly some trades.

I would hope that Prosser is relegated to 7th D.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wouldn't being the lower seed against a 50 win team already be the "excuse" for "failing"? Would it even be considered "failing"?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Failing was last year in the playoffs, and failing was following last year with a mediocre regular season. If the Wild lose in the first round of the playoffs with Suter still on the team, then i would consider it a failure.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Failing was last year in the playoffs, and failing was following last year with a mediocre regular season. If the Wild lose in the first round of the playoffs with Suter still on the team, then i would consider it a failure.

We’re 4th in the conference and 8th in the league. That’s mediocre?

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not really fair to say a 1st or 2nd round loss would be a failure when the teams that you would have to play in those rounds are better than anybody you would have to face in either the Conference or Cup finals.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Aren't we repeating ourselves from a couple of weeks ago? I'm old. What's your excuse?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Aren't we repeating ourselves from a couple of weeks ago? I'm old. What's your excuse?

I just like to argue and stir the pot. Dunno what any of this has to do with the AHL/ECHL teams, but whatever it is I blame Foligno. :help:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I was just looking at Iowa's stats/roster for the year:
-Ryan White played 23 games for them this year.
-I suspect that the team's song was "Follow the Yellow Brick Road"
-Menell cooled off as the year went on
-JEE played 8 games 3g/5a
-Parise had as many goals in as many games as Reilly.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into Wild players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Jordan Greenway
Louie Belpedio
Carson Soucy
Nick Seeler
Justin Kloos

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Can you guys give me some insight into Wild players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Jordan Greenway
Louie Belpedio
Carson Soucy
Nick Seeler
Justin Kloos
Greenway - There's been some thin speculation over the years about him playing center, but odds are on him being a LW in the NHL. Huge frame with good hands and can skate pretty well, he seems to do his best work down low behind the net feeding guys out front. The big question with him is how his game will translate to the NHL where his size isn't as much of an advantage.

Belpedio - Haven't really seen him play a ton, but I know he's said he likes to model his game after Letang's. So an offensive RD that (hopefully) isn't a disaster defensively. Hasn't really played enough pro games to say much beyond that.

Soucy - Big, defensive defenseman that was a much better skater than I expected. Probably nothing more than a bottom-pairing guy, but there's something to be said for a big bottom-pairing guy that can keep up with the play and isn't brain dead. Hopefully Soucy can develop into that.

Seeler - Last year's biggest surprise, for me. He was called up when we had some injuries and I don't think anyone expected much from him, but he did very well in 20-ish games on our second pairing. Gritty, defensive defenseman, but he's not incompetent offensively. Seems to have a good idea of what he needs to do and does it.

Kloos - I'll defer to the Gopher fans. Haven't paid much attention to him personally.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014

Jordan Greenway
Louie Belpedio
Carson Soucy
Nick Seeler
Justin Kloos
Greenway is a big bodied winger who will make his money in front of the net. Definitely has a shot at an NHL future with a 4th liner his floor which he is probably at right now. He will more than likely start in Iowa next year unless he really impresses in camp. This will allow him to play big minutes and work on his offensive game. Everyone knows big men take a while to develop but hopefully his ceiling is prime Lucic. Seems like a good bet to be called up next year in the event of an injury to a top 9 winger.
Louise Belpedio is a puck moving, mobile defenseman who seems to have a solid enough defensive game. He seems to have the tools to have an NHL future is he continues to improve. I would probably put his potential topping out at a top 4 defenseman if all goes right. For now he will probably play in Iowa however his right handedness is a huge boon for him and puts him closer to the show then some prospects. I mean barring no moves on the right side all Belpedio really has for competition for the final spot on the right side is Prosser. Fenton comes from a team that values defense so I see Belpedio as a dark horse to make the opening night roster. Really depends on where they think he's at with his development.
Carson Soucy is a physical big defenseman who looked a little overmatched against the jets. However he is still a nice player who should reach the NHL full time. I have his potential topping out at a 6/7 type player which is fine because he does the things it takes to win games. His skating and decision making I'm not sure are on par with some of the other young defenseman on this list which I think is what will stop him from ever breaking into the top 4. Will likely start in Iowa although will probably be given a pretty good chance to win the third pairing spot on the left side.
Nick Seeler is a physical well balanced defenseman who has proven that he can play in the NHL and even raise his game when the time calls. He reminds me of Brodin where he knows what his job is and does it. He gives a lot in the D zone and doesn't seem too lost in the O zone. I could see him being a top 4 player but not a great one. I really think he is a good third pairing guy. He is already 25 so he isn't likely to get a ton better but I like what I see. Probably has the inside track on the third pair on the left side to start the season.
Justin Kloos seems like a two way center but I haven't seen him much since the gophers. Probably tops out at a 4th line center. Could be what the new wild regime is looking for in a 4th line center so I think he gets a chance in training camp and wouldn't be surprised if he starts in Iowa.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Anyone know who is next in line to replace Lalonde?

Sounds like a high possibility it's someone outside the organization but it is an ongoing search as far as we know. Kind of interesting dynamic at play with Fenton having been GM of Milwaukee, and Flahr being nominally at least GM for Iowa. Fenton was quoted saying basically it would be a group effort to find the coach and he obviously has some pride in the way his hires in Milwaukee went on to the NHL.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Anything more someone can share on this guy? His HC record isn't the greatest and he seemed to bounce around AHL clubs as an assistant coach.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
taking a shot at your top 10 prospect list - could be way off here:

1 kaprizov 2 kunin 3 greenway 4 johansson 5 sokolov 6 mcbain 7 lodnia 8 belpedio 9 khovanov 10 kahkonen

missing anyone significant?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
taking a shot at your top 10 prospect list - could be way off here:

1 kaprizov 2 kunin 3 greenway 4 johansson 5 sokolov 6 mcbain 7 lodnia 8 belpedio 9 khovanov 10 kahkonen

missing anyone significant?

kind of a weird thread to ask the question but you basically have the top ten - might also consider Mason Shaw, Connor Dewar, Carson Soucy, Brennan Menell, Nick Swaney, and be sure to specify Filip Johansson. Simon Johansson might be just behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad