Minnesota 2020-2021 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Allen Americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Yeah, I keep telling people it's fun to go down there. Nice city, good restaurants, fans are great, hockey is pretty good etc. I meet a lot of Iowans at the bar I work at and everyone from Des Moines loves the Iowa Wild and are happy people go down there for games. As much as I miss the Aeros and their AMAZING logo, it seems if this was going to happen at least the team did their research and put them in a good spot.

Also in transaction news: Rush acquire Darian Dziurzynski for Erik Bradford from the Toledo Walleye.

Exactly! We ate at Jethro's BBQ. Amazing meal! lol

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
There is a kick ass German place a few blocks away too that I'd highly recommend. We also hit tacopocolypse, which was pretty good too. Also, would recommend their Hampton Inn to stay at. It was brand new maybe three years ago, parking was easy enough and the rooms were fantastic.

We stayed at a very nice Air B&B downtown. I had never done that before, and it really turned out well. I love tacos and tacopocolypse sounds amazing. I had never heard of it before. Before we went to the concert we ate at Fuzzy's Tacos. that was very good too.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
At this stage of the season, Rapid City has the worst points percentage in the ECHL (.280) with 7 wins in 25 games. Among prospects of note, Dante Salituro leads them with 23 points in 21 games. Bouramman has cooled a little with 12 points in 21 games. Pavel Jenys has picked it up with 12 in 21.

The Wild are third in the Central (.571) heading into tonight's game against Cleveland. Sam Anas has come around this season, sitting third on the team with 19 in 22. Kloos is second on the team with 20 points in 28 games. Zack Mitchell, who hasn't been down there in a month, is still fourth.
Kunin has 2 goals, 11 shots on goal, in his last five games.

Other prospects just aren't doing much on the scoresheet but the team's overall improvement is a welcome sign. Call it arbitrary if you want, but with Justin Kloos turning 24 last month, the baby Wild don't have a single player in the AHL top 100 U24 scorers (Christoph Bertschy comes it at 107). I'd call that kind of depth development not too great.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't know if I would put if solely on lack of development. They pick a lot of college/foreign players and haven't signed them for various reasons. If Kunin/JEE had been on the team all season, they'd probably be in the top 100

'12 and '13 drafts are looking like busts other than Dumba/Olofsson and and maybe's with Soucy/Bertschy. '14 could end up as a total bust Tuch (traded), Belpedio/Kahkonen don't sign and become UFA's (both "could" be NHL players). '15 Greenway/Kaprizov haven't signed and JEE has been in the NHL, so there is a big hole from that draft year.

But you are correct, the youth isn't there. GMCF went with an odd strategy of making the AHL team older with fringe NHL players at FWD. Hazarding a guess, he wanted to change the culture in Iowa after years of tire fire seasons. It looks to be working so far. The lack of decent draft picks has caught up with the team, and they'll be feeling it for a few seasons.

I do hope there is a house cleaning this offseason: not re-signing and walking away from a lot of the low end prospects.

Reactions: 2Pair

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't know if I would put if solely on lack of development. They pick a lot of college/foreign players and haven't signed them for various reasons. If Kunin/JEE had been on the team all season, they'd probably be in the top 100

'12 and '13 drafts are looking like busts other than Dumba/Olofsson and and maybe's with Soucy/Bertschy. '14 could end up as a total bust Tuch (traded), Belpedio/Kahkonen don't sign and become UFA's (both "could" be NHL players). '15 Greenway/Kaprizov haven't signed and JEE has been in the NHL, so there is a big hole from that draft year.

But you are correct, the youth isn't there. GMCF went with an odd strategy of making the AHL team older with fringe NHL players at FWD. Hazarding a guess, he wanted to change the culture in Iowa after years of tire fire seasons. It looks to be working so far. The lack of decent draft picks has caught up with the team, and they'll be feeling it for a few seasons.

I do hope there is a house cleaning this offseason: not re-signing and walking away from a lot of the low end prospects.

I'd rather have JEE playing like he is in the NHL than have a Dylan Strome (3rd overall in 2015) struggling to stick but dominating the AHL. Agree on Kunin too.

I totally expect Belpedio to sign unless the Wild don't offer - which would shock me. He is the number one defenseman in our system, has ties to the team and the region. But yeah, I give the Wild credit for solid 2015 and 2017 drafts but we're witnessing the gaps from other years in action.

They'll lose a few guys this summer but it's kind of a one step forward, two steps back, scenario. You lose a Lucia and you're left with a Lang. The team has to remain aggressive with pursuing free agents from college, Europe and juniors if they're going to punt so many picks (already no 2018 2nd or 4th, 2019 possibly 2nd gone). That's a high-risk, medium-reward way to procure talent as we've seen. I hope they can win a round or two this season for the fans in Iowa.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd rather have JEE playing like he is in the NHL than have a Dylan Strome (3rd overall in 2015) struggling to stick but dominating the AHL. Agree on Kunin too.

I totally expect Belpedio to sign unless the Wild don't offer - which would shock me. He is the number one defenseman in our system, has ties to the team and the region. But yeah, I give the Wild credit for solid 2015 and 2017 drafts but we're witnessing the gaps from other years in action.

They'll lose a few guys this summer but it's kind of a one step forward, two steps back, scenario. You lose a Lucia and you're left with a Lang. The team has to remain aggressive with pursuing free agents from college, Europe and juniors if they're going to punt so many picks (already no 2018 2nd or 4th, 2019 possibly 2nd gone). That's a high-risk, medium-reward way to procure talent as we've seen. I hope they can win a round or two this season for the fans in Iowa.

Three 3rds though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The 2019 pick 2nd-4th conditional pick is set at a 4th now. It was contingent on the Wild winning Playoff series last year.

The three 3rds next year are nice to have, especially Buffalo's 3rd. Deep draft (supposedly), so it could turn out to be a mid-late 2nd quality player.

I do hope Iowa has Greenway, Belpedio, Sokolov, and goalie KK. Chizen might never amount to anything, but I's like to see him get a contract also.

We're probably getting too far OT for a AHL/ECHL thread (my fault).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What's Michalek's problem?

He was the backup for the game. Svedberg (no points either) was the starter 23 saves. Yea, I know there was some sarcasm involved.

Iowa is 2nd in their Division right now, tied at 54p but have games in hand.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
3 players in the top 25 in scoring...been a long time since that happened.

Anas, Kloos, and O'Reilly.

Had no clue about O'Reilly's AHL impact until I looked him up recently. Great pick-up by management to help the farm team.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Yeesh, these guys hit the skids hard. Not making the playoffs, barring a miracle. Again. Would have been great for guys like Belpedio and Lodnia to get some pro playoff games (to say nothing of the guys who worked hard all season down there).

We can debate the value of having a competitive AHL squad in terms of what it means for the NHL team but I think the most successful franchises also have the depth to thrive in the AHL. It's a tough balance between having enough veterans and giving young guys a chance to play but this is a disappointing outcome for everyone, obviously.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeesh, these guys hit the skids hard. Not making the playoffs, barring a miracle. Again. Would have been great for guys like Belpedio and Lodnia to get some pro playoff games (to say nothing of the guys who worked hard all season down there).

We can debate the value of having a competitive AHL squad in terms of what it means for the NHL team but I think the most successful franchises also have the depth to thrive in the AHL. It's a tough balance between having enough veterans and giving young guys a chance to play but this is a disappointing outcome for everyone, obviously.
This recent dive really does suck for Iowa. I wonder how much call-ups have affected their game. Seeler's great and Murphy's a good AHL player, but I can't imagine losing them had that much of an impact?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This recent dive really does suck for Iowa. I wonder how much call-ups have affected their game. Seeler's great and Murphy's a good AHL player, but I can't imagine losing them had that much of an impact?
You're forgetting Reilly, Kunin and Olofsson.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
man, you're right. It seems like they were such a small part of the this team, and i assumed that they were down in Iowa doing good things. Have to say that both players have been less than successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad