Mini Rebuild

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Just a thought. What if the Pens do a mini rebuild. I noticed that they lost last night to the Jets and I know its one game, but the Jets had an AHL lineup on D last night and should have been dominated.
I think obviously keep the core: Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray and Guentzal. Move the secondary guys and do a rebuild this year. Get a nice draft pick Then go for another run next season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly i've heard this comment for years and years. Eventually it will be time. That's how life goes. But every single time we've crossed a path where it looks doom and gloom, 15% of fans claim it's time to blow it up. Then the Pens roar back and those individuals hide.

Let's stay patient and see it play out. There are huge red flags starting w/ JR and Sully. I get that. The criticism is fair. But let's hold off on the rebuilds just yet. Trust me - in due time. We will be there.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Just a thought. What if the Pens do a mini rebuild. I noticed that they lost last night to the Jets and I know its one game, but the Jets had an AHL lineup on D last night and should have been dominated.
I think obviously keep the core: Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray and Guentzal. Move the secondary guys and do a rebuild this year. Get a nice draft pick Then go for another run next season.

The people you named have the only real value around the league

You can't do a "mini rebuild" getting back spoons and straws to reinforce your foundation. Sometimes you have to rip some studs out
Note I am not advocating this.

I think the turnaround starts with:

1) Stop overpaying for 3rd pairing Dmen OR your 8th-13th F
2) Stop playing those terrible players mentioned in #1 above

The only way this season is saved is if the kids get a chance and perform. Because the "vets" and supporting cast look worn out

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They just went through a mini re-build. In the last ~10 months they've added McCann (22), Galchenyuk (25), Bjugstad (26), POJ (20), Marino, Kahun. Guentzel and MM are still only 25. Got rid of Kessel, Hagelin, Brassard, all of which are 30 or older.

Exactly...we turned over a lot of the roster. If more retool is required, it should be the GM and coach

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Use this season as a transitional period where we fix things and gear up for another serious run or two before Geno and Letang are done. That should've always been the plan, and JR should've been fired (with Sully, potentially) after the Isles series for a fresh start and new approach.

As long as JR is at the helm, this team will continue to trend downward. We may squeak into the playoffs on pure talent alone, with guys like Sid, Jake, Letang and Murray willing an extremely flawed team into the post-season--only to get dismantled again. Take your lumps, accept the potential top-5 pick, and get to work rebooting this club.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Can’t make this call now. Gotta wait until after Christmas, maybe even up to the TDL. Core is too good with limited time left in their careers to hit the tank button 3 games in.

I do think we can do some things within our control. Call up a lot of AHLers to come compete on a shift by shift basis. See who of the fringe forwards like ZAR, Kahun, Simon responds and who doesn’t. Tighten the leash on Sully/staff. May be unfair to him but our backs are against the wall here in terms of options, and a fresh voice coming in has potential to be a spark.

Then go to work on making this roster more flexible going forward. Not an easy task, but try to move some of Guds/JJ/Bjugs deals for cap space and/or expiring deals, even if it means adding nice futures (besides the ‘20 first so we have a failsafe).

Plan going forward around a group of Sid, Geno, McCann, Blueger down the middle. Good place to build from.

Then just get healthy and see where the season takes us. If we can’t figure it out and still have to move off Schultz and Chucky and maybe another player at the deadline, fine. But no need to blow it up at this point imo.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Crosby and Letang are 32, Malkin is 33. If we did a NYR-esk mini rebuild, that still would take at least 2 years of being bad (this year and next) if not 3 before those assets obtained from gutting the depth yielded results. That puts the core in the 34-36 year age range by the time we can contend again. At that point, the window is shut.

We will retool on the fly for the next 3ish years, and then blow it up most likely, or else do the DET plan and suffer a slow, painful decline to try to keep Crosby competitive in his late 30s. Expect to see more of the Brassard/Sheahan for Bjugstad/McCann, Hagelin for Pearson for Gudbranson type deals in the next 3 years, no drastic moves.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... I know that people said the same thing years ago only for things to get shuffled around the RIGHT way very quickly and then onward to B2B Cups but I think this window is closed, regardless. Too much mismanagement. Too much stubborn behavior. Too many bad contracts. Cap is idle and teams are feeling the crunch so quick trades to help things are that less likely.

I hope I'm just being a reactionary idiot. But I don't see how JR is going to turn this ship around. I don't see Sullivan capturing their attention or imagination again. So I don't see the point in a mini rebuild. At the rate they are going the suck will naturally overtake them soon enough.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know a lot of people probably feel differently but at this point, the team should consider bringing Legare back...this guy could play now imo although he’d be better with more development and speed training...but with all the injuries and ineffectiveness of some forwards, I’d bring him back for a 9 game try out and would burn a year if he can bring some scoring ability with him...it’s more important we have some scoring for the next couple years while the window is open than what’s going to happen down the road when we burn a year of his ELC

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think the thought is a terrible one but let's just maybe leave Legare out of this inevitable trainwreck.

Don't really trust Sullivan much these days, anyway. And Sullivan would obviously play a huge role in his development and usage.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think the thought it a terrible one but let's just maybe leave Legare out of this inevitable trainwreck.

Don't really trust Sullivan much these days, anyway. And Sullivan would obviously play a huge role in his development and usage.

I mean I’ve soured completely on JR and a Sully, but at this point I don’t think either of them are being fired any time soon unfortunately...I’m realistic..I’d rather other people oversee the kid’s development but it is what it is...doesn’t mean we couldn’t really use him

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean I’ve soured completely on JR and a Sully, but at this point I don’t think either of them are being fired any time soon unfortunately...I’m realistic..I’d rather other people oversee the kid’s development but it is what it is...doesn’t mean we couldn’t really use him

Yeah but my point is WOULD they use him? At this point it will feel pretty normal for JR to make that call and praise him incessantly only for Sullivan to mysteriously play him 6 minutes a night on the 4th line or ride the pine. Would that shock you?

No... let em hang themselves with this pathetic roster.

Reactions: Andy99

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Crosby and Letang are 32, Malkin is 33. If we did a NYR-esk mini rebuild, that still would take at least 2 years of being bad (this year and next) if not 3 before those assets obtained from gutting the depth yielded results. That puts the core in the 34-36 year age range by the time we can contend again. At that point, the window is shut.

We will retool on the fly for the next 3ish years, and then blow it up most likely, or else do the DET plan and suffer a slow, painful decline to try to keep Crosby competitive in his late 30s. Expect to see more of the Brassard/Sheahan for Bjugstad/McCann, Hagelin for Pearson for Gudbranson type deals in the next 3 years, no drastic moves.

This is pretty accurate to how it's going to go down. It's all downhill from here - it just remains to be seen how quickly they get to the bottom. I have to imagine by the 2021-22 season, some of us won't be wanting to watch every night anymore.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah but my point is WOULD they use him? At this point it will feel pretty normal for JR to make that call and praise him incessantly only for Sullivan to mysteriously play him 6 minutes a night on the 4th line or ride the pine. Would that shock you?

No... let em hang themselves with this pathetic roster.

I think Sully would use him...it might be 7 minutes on L4 but he’d play him...hopefully he acquits himself well enough to get other opportunities

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t know about a rebuild, but god damn it, Lafferty looked so much hungrier out there last night than some of our vets. I think we should just dump some parts that still have name value but really have not been good at all for us, most notably Bjugstad, and just replace from within.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's basically try a mini-rebuild/reboot, whatever you wanna call it, or accept the fact that this team is going to struggle to remain even mediocre until the Sid/Geno/Letang era ends in three years, when the latter two will almost assuredly retire due to mounting injuries. I'd rather swing and miss than to just sit there and allow the collapse to continue.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don’t know about a rebuild, but god damn it, Lafferty looked so much hungrier out there last night than some of our vets. I think we should just dump some parts that still have name value but really have not been good at all for us, most notably Bjugstad, and just replace from within.

I truly do think this should be the first step taken, despite all of my "f*** all this" posts, today. But would they? I know the running line is that "Sullivan trusted the young guys when it came to winning a Cup." But now I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Dominance

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mini rebuild?

I'm confused to what they have been doing the past couple years.

So is that a mini rebuild on the back of a mini rebuild?

There's nothing mini about what has transpired the past couple years.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who are these secondary players you speak of? You think any of these other guys have any sort of value? Maybe Rust and Bjugstad? McCann shouldn’t be traded.
Tanev has negative value with that contract; Hornqvist has a NTC and is awful; Kahun, Simon, ZAR, etc have no value.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I say go full-bore. Listen to offers for everyone over 27 not named Sid & Geno.

Get a 1st and blue-chip prospect for Letang, a late 1st or a couple 2nds for Hornqvist, a 2nd for Schultz, some mid picks for Bjugstad & Gudbranson. Gotta also lock up Murray, Pettersson, McCann & Gooch since they’re the right age for a rebuild. Would probably need to target some UFAs in free agency particularly on D but we’d have the room.

They won’t though. JR has that very old man mentality of who gives a shit about tomorrow or 3 years from now.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
They need young and explosive play makers that can not only compliment Sid and Geno, but also carry their own lines if need be.

I’m sorry, but this roster really has none of those. Jake is great with Sid, but he isn’t generating offense on his own and can’t drive a line on his own. Guys like Bjugs, McCann, Chucky, ZAR, Tanev, Simon, etc are all vanilla players that, while at times can show flashes, are very inconsistent and just meh.

The powerhouse teams of today have those young playmakers to compliment their core players.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They need young and explosive play makers that can not only compliment Sid and Geno, but also carry their own lines if need be.

I’m sorry, but this roster really has none of those. Jake is great with Sid, but he isn’t generating offense on his own and can’t drive a line on his own. Guys like Bjugs, McCann, Chucky, ZAR, Tanev, Simon, etc are all vanilla players that, while at times can show flashes, are very inconsistent and just meh.

The powerhouse teams of today have those young playmakers to compliment their core players.

right, and they sucked for awhile and those players came from high draft picks for the most part, like Sid and G...really only way to get those young high end players..not happening here yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad