Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild sign Kirill Kaprizov to ELC (2 year, $925k AAV)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
impressive rookie campaign, but maybe we should hold off on the long term mega contract stuff until he actually completes his first NHL season, or even postseason lol... i mean the guy has 34 points in 38 career NHL games. i can think of a few other players who had big rookie years that plummeted after that. BUT... if the wild want to pass out a stupid contract, go right. wouldn't be the first time they bit off more than they can chew :sarcasm:
If he was a 19 year old rookie I'd agree. But considering his age and resume prior to the NHL I have significantly fewer reservations.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wonder what the contract will be...6.5mx6yr?

If he signs for 6.5 per year, it would be for 2 or 3 years only, not 6 years..

6 years or more will be a significant jump in salary.

Itll either be a 6-7 mill for 2 or 3 years OR else it'll be a 8 year massive deal

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Two year bridge should be the move here. They're going to have to pay big money for UFA years regardless, might as well mitigate your risk while maintaining his RFA status.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Based on what?

The off chance he becomes a 50 goal or 100 point guy within two seasons and you then have to pay him 10-11M instead of 8-9M?
Based on the fact that he could decide he wants to test free agency and just take a one year deal

Reactions: ctmagic

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Based on the fact that he could decide he wants to test free agency and just take a one year deal

Electing arbitration after the 2 years and going right to UFA after 3.

If that's his goal, he'll just take a 3 year deal. Minny isn't really in a position to strongarm him in any amount of year they want. He can just go back to the KHL for a juicy contract if the Wild doesn't bend over to his desires.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think with it being flat cap for near future Wild might luck out on having Kaprizov sign relatively cheap and with term.

Unless if he doesn't care to leave and go somewhere else. I don't really know what he's like but he's a dynamic talent from what he's displayed and I'm sure Wild fans are nervous what's gonna happen.

All the best Wild fans.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If that's his goal, he'll just take a 3 year deal. Minny isn't really in a position to strongarm him in any amount of year they want. He can just go back to the KHL for a juicy contract if the Wild doesn't bend over to his desires.

The “juicy KHL contract” is going to be a third of a reasonable NHL contract. And it’s a 3 year wait. It’s not as much of a threat as you might think.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The top paid players in the KHL right now make under 2M and the KHL has a salary cap of 13M USD per team. He also has no arbitration rights and isn't eligible for any offer sheets.

I pray your post was sarcastic, but I can't tell. You'll have to let me know.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The “juicy KHL contract” is going to be a third of a reasonable NHL contract. And it’s a 3 year wait. It’s not as much of a threat as you might think.

If he doesn't want a 6-8 years deal he won't take it.

IMO, the 2 year deal is not as bad as you make it seem. Unless something goes terribly bad in the next two years, he should be willing to re-sign if he was potentially willing to sign for 4+ years.

To me that's about as much of a danger as him asking for a trade after 2 years of his 8 years deal.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The top paid players in the KHL right now make under 2M and the KHL has a salary cap of 13M USD per team. He also has no arbitration rights and isn't eligible for any offer sheets.

I pray your post was sarcastic, but I can't tell. You'll have to let me know.

2 million in Russia is plenty of money. He can pull a Radulov if he wants.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

IMO, the 2 year deal is not as bad as you make it seem. Unless something goes terribly bad in the next two years, he should be willing to re-sign if he was potentially willing to sign for 4+ years.

To me that's about as much of a danger as him asking for a trade after 2 years of his 8 years deal.

And if the Wild don't want a 3 year deal it won't be offered.

Some people believe this is how contract negotiations work.

But to pretend Kaprizov has all the leverage here is just ignorant.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
And if the Wild don't want a 3 year deal it won't be offered.

Some people believe this is how contract negotiations work.

But to pretend Kaprizov has all the leverage here is just ignorant.

He doesn't. He can't dictate the price. However, I think he can force a short term or long term deal depending on what he wants.

He's their best forward by a mile. The only one with a chance to even come close in the next few years is Rossi (unless they get a top 3 pick). They cannot play hardball with him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It’s still the 2nd worst option, and should be avoided if at all possible.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He doesn't. He can't dictate the price. However, I think he can force a short term or long term deal depending on what he wants.

He's their best forward by a mile. The only one with a chance to even come close in the next few years is Rossi (unless they get a top 3 pick). They cannot play hardball with him.

He’ll be paid extremely fairly, without our getting bent over.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Fiala exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->