Value of: Min-Tor and Min-Edm

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes unless we are getting Dumba back, even if we had to add (we would) we are not doing that deal.
Dumba is as untouchable as Marner. Nylander doesn’t have a contract and would need a significant add for Minnesota to trade their top pairing RHD. Ain’t gonna happen.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That won't get you close to Nylander
What would Toronto know about getting Nylander. They can’t even sign him to a contract and that really hurts his value, especially when you see Kapanen explode in Nylander’s spot. Makes you question whether Nylander’s production would be the same away from Matthews or if he drops like a rock.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Obviously big no from the Oil, but what can we do to get in on Spurgeon? Puljujarvi + Benning (cap purposes) + 2019 1st (top 5 protected - just in case we collapse)? He’d be the perfect partner for Nurse.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Obviously big no from the Oil, but what can we do to get in on Spurgeon? Puljujarvi + Benning (cap purposes) + 2019 1st (top 5 protected - just in case we collapse)? He’d be the perfect partner for Nurse.
Ryan Nugent Hopkins? I dunno, Oilers don’t have a similar aged/cap hit/value player and trading RNH is counter productive. I do think Pulj playing with fellow Finnish players would help him a great deal. In the long run that deal would help the Wild a ton IMO.

The Oilers wouldn’t be able to afford Spurgeon’s cap hit just based off of Pulj+Benning+1st for Spurgeon.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
What would Toronto know about getting Nylander. They can’t even sign him to a contract and that really hurts his value, especially when you see Kapanen explode in Nylander’s spot. Makes you question whether Nylander’s production would be the same away from Matthews or if he drops like a rock.

Nylander isn't getting exposed, he's been productive his entire career, even away from Matthews.

If anything, it's people who were underrating Kapanen and who kept pulling up his numbers despite playing grinding/defensive minutes, less than 10 minutes a night, on the 4th line with non-NHL'ers like Moore centering him. You could put your best player on your team out there, in those circumstances and let's see how they'll fare.

As for the OP's deal, it isn't terrible. I wouldn't trade Nylander though for anything realistic to Minnesota. Especially with Matthews gone, it opens up minutes for him at C, which is the ideal circumstance (aside from the injury of course) from a development standpoint. It was also Matthews injury last year where Marner stepped up and his game took another level- and he hasn't looked back.

I should say, I prefer the OP's deal to Dumba by far as well. I'm not a huge fan of Dumba though.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The Oilers wouldn’t be able to afford Spurgeon’s cap hit just based off of Pulj+Benning+1st for Spurgeon.

I’m not 100% certain how it works, but do we not have LTIR cushion available from Sekera’s injury? It shows on CapFriendly his 5.5 million as LTIR available but not used.

As for Nuge, definitely non starter. Well within your rights for asking, but he’s working so well with McDavidvright now there is zero chance we'd consider moving him.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m not 100% certain how it works, but do we not have LTIR cushion available from Sekera’s injury? It shows on CapFriendly his 5.5 million as LTIR available but not used.

As for Nuge, definitely non starter. Well within your rights for asking, but he’s working so well with McDavidvright now there is zero chance we'd consider moving him.
What happens when he’s back from injury next year? Currently have about $7m in cap space if the deal were to go through. Need to sign two goaltenders, one depth forward, and deal with Rieder and Khaira as RFAs. Goalies alone might take up the entire cap space available. Gets awfully tight.

Oh yeah, I knew that would be an issue. I’ve been trying to catch as many Oiler games as I can since they are my second favorite team. Can definitely say I was wrong on RNH in certain past opinions.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Nylander isn't getting exposed, he's been productive his entire career, even away from Matthews.

If anything, it's people who were underrating Kapanen and who kept pulling up his numbers despite playing grinding/defensive minutes, less than 10 minutes a night, on the 4th line with non-NHL'ers like Moore centering him. You could put your best player on your team out there, in those circumstances and let's see how they'll fare.

As for the OP's deal, it isn't terrible. I wouldn't trade Nylander though for anything realistic to Minnesota. Especially with Matthews gone, it opens up minutes for him at C, which is the ideal circumstance (aside from the injury of course) from a development standpoint. It was also Matthews injury last year where Marner stepped up and his game took another level- and he hasn't looked back.

I should say, I prefer the OP's deal to Dumba by far as well. I'm not a huge fan of Dumba though.
I just don’t think there’s a big enough sample size to determine what Nylander is at the NHL without Matthews. I do believe reading someone saying without Matthews Nylander was on roughly a 46 point pace. I just looked and in the 16 game (small) sample size Nylander had 2g, 7a. That pace is 10g 36a 46pts.Which is exactly what I’m talking about. What kind of production would Nylander have without Matthews? Nobody knows.

So it’s not at all possible that Kapanen’s hot start is a product of playing with Matthews?

You disliking Dumba saves a lot bickering. So that’s good.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I just don’t think there’s a big enough sample size to determine what Nylander is at the NHL without Matthews. I do believe reading someone saying without Matthews Nylander was on roughly a 46 point pace. I just looked and in the 16 game (small) sample size Nylander had 2g, 7a. That pace is 10g 36a 46pts.Which is exactly what I’m talking about. What kind of production would Nylander have without Matthews? Nobody knows.

So it’s not at all possible that Kapanen’s hot start is a product of playing with Matthews?

The sample size is small, and it is probably inflated by the fact Nylander was playing in a plug-and-play situation, perhaps with limited minutes and occasionally, on the 4th line in those limited minutes. The argument is a bit misconstrued, imagine if every young player in this league (say Laine, Ehlers, Pasta) away from any "X" top linemate/center-man was used, to judge their worth. This to me, is an unfair narrative to attack a young player's value. Not saying you are doing that, but trying to rationalize with you here.

I believe Kapanen is helped by Matthews more than vice versa though, no disagreement there. Nylander, I don't believe is a great fit with Matthews and are byproducts of one another due to talent. Kapanen is more of a high-end complimentary player, he can't drive a line on his own- not many players can. I believe Nylander is capable of it.

As for my opinion about Dumba, it's probably similar to how you felt with Kadri in years past. Not trying to discredit you or anything, but we've had disagreements in the past about Kadri's value before his productivity over the last 2 seasons.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ryan Nugent Hopkins? I dunno, Oilers don’t have a similar aged/cap hit/value player and trading RNH is counter productive. I do think Pulj playing with fellow Finnish players would help him a great deal. In the long run that deal would help the Wild a ton IMO.

Pulju might well be nothing...we don't know what he is. Benning is a nothing, to the Wild. Zero value for us, we have better in the AHL. First is nice, but I see EDM as a fringe playoff team. A 14-18 OA draft pick is nice. Not trying to run down Pulju, but I have no clue what that guy is. Spurgeon is simply too good to trade away for a grab bag of "maybes". For my money he is still the best RHD on the Wild, not Dumba.

Don't see EDM giving up RNH right now, and I also hope that the Wild would not trade for him expecting a #1C.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No disrespect to JEE but if that’s the best offer we’d easily decline.

Hands off our Nugey boy. He’s been lights out with McDavid and he’s a damned good player in his own right.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Well i'm pretty sure most of that time without him was 4th line minutes last year when Babs would get upset with his effort.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Too bad the Wild can't make a trade with any other team but TOR or EDM. :sarcasm:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am not sure he underrated but his age doesn't fit with TML core , Love to have him on the Oilers
I would disagree, not that I want to lose Spurgeon at all. Most Championship teams have a mix of ages. A cool, experienced guy like Spurgeon would help a ton on the back end. I think TML's fans would agree that Marleau has been a great addition, even at his late age.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Think Nylander for Dumba straight up makes some sense.
Not bad , but I don't see MN going for it. I also would say that TML don't need a balls out offensive DMAN like Dumba. They can score from the back end...what they need is a steadying, poised, defensive presence who can also move to puck up to their outstanding forward talent.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Toronto
nylander

Minnesota
nino, spurgeon at50%

edm
puljujärvi

min
joel erikson ek

then if needed to replace spurg
min
coyle plus a pick 2nd or something

Carolina
faulk

Puljujarvi has out scored Eriksson-Ek last year and this year (... and that's not saying much). JP is 1.5 years younger. JP was drafted a year later. JP won't be getting a huge contract next year.

Why do the Oilers do this? Please give me one good reason.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Puljujarvi has out scored Eriksson-Ek last year and this year (... and that's not saying much). JP is 1.5 years younger. JP was drafted a year later. JP won't be getting a huge contract next year.

Why do the Oilers do this? Please give me one good reason.
Maybe Eriksson-Ek knows more English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad