Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What this thread is telling me is that this site still comically overvalues draft picks and prospects.

Zucker's a cost controlled top-6 winger signed for 3.5 more years. A 1st and a good prospect for that is reasonable. It's a good return for Minnesota because they're rebuilding, but for a win-now team, you take the cost controlled win-now player 100% of the time. Especially considering that Addison was fairly expendable as a prospect.

I also think it's a bit of undervaluing the type of player Zucker could be. I like the return for us for where we are, I also think Pittsburgh is going to be happy too.

Reactions: CrosbyMalkin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unless Galchenyuk is a complete bust now, Pittsburgh seems to have given up a lot.

Galchenyuk is pretty much a complete bust now. He has the value of like a 4th.

This deal was basically Addison, a 1st and 4th for Zucker. That's a good haul for the Wild for sure, but it's not some earth shattering haul. It's pretty much exactly what Penguins fans and Wild fans agreed on, but with Addison in place of Hallander.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Seems like a win for Pittsburgh to me. Zucker is fantastic 5v5 and signed to 3 more years at a very reasonable 5.5 M.

Galchenyuk has regressed and that 1st will likely be very late in the round.

Addison is a nice prospect but one the Pens can afford to give up.

Not saying it's a bad trade for the Wild by any means, I think it's close to fair, I just think people overvalue picks/prospects over impact NHLers right now.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
My first thought was that seems like too much to give up but actually with 3.5 years remaining on his deal that’s a steep but fair price. Billy G did well here and Pens get a speedy top 6 wing with term. Fair I’d say. Both teams fans should be happy.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Maybe Minnesota finally has a GM who can make a trade. It's been over a decade.

I think Zucker is going to rip it up in Pittsburgh. I expect a 60-70 point pace. He needs a fresh start, and his speed and shot will fit in well with world-class centers.

However, that seems like a lot to give up. I don't consider Galchenyuk much more than a salary dump at this point, so it's really a low 1st and Addison. Seems a bit much for Zucker, but of course I'll take it.

Reactions: ownal

spfan

May 4, 2009
Makes sense to get Zucker. Seems like he was being targeted during the Kessel trade.
Galchenyuk has under performed. Even with Guentzel out, Galchenyuk wasn't stepping up.
Don't like giving up a 1st rounder AND Addison though.

Also, Zucker doesn't have a bad contract at all, but its not really saving money. With how Galchenyuk performed, he likely wasn't going to get a raise. And I thought the whole point of that Kessel trade was saving money.

This kind of feels like when we traded away Hagelin to get Pearson, then traded Pearson for Gudbranson. Makes me wish we just kept Hagelin in the first place. I do like getting Zucker though. Obviously this isn't like getting Gudbranson.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Galchenyuk is pretty much a complete bust now. He has the value of like a 4th.

This deal was basically Addison, a 1st and 4th for Zucker. That's a good haul for the Wild for sure, but it's not some earth shattering haul. It's pretty much exactly what Penguins fans and Wild fans agreed on, but with Addison in place of Hallander.

Pittsburgh improving, why I am not surprised? Good coach, good GM. They get what they need.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
So, a late first (20-30 range), a 2nd round RHD prospect (who I don't know much about but I guess is pretty good?) and a cap dump in Galchenyuk for a sure fire 20 goal scorer (probably 30 in Pittsburgh). I don't hate it (Maybe Galchenyuk picks it back up in MN) but it's not like the Wild are clear winners here.

Edit: I take it back. I do hate it. Really gonna miss Zucker.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
1st + prospect seems like a pretty expected return for a top 6 winger who is in his prime and signed for 3.5 years ?

That said, i hope Chucky stays with the Wild. Would be nice to see him with Kaprizov and just let them run free on offense during this upcoming rebuild.

GeorgeCostanza

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Fair trade IMO. Gotta give to get. Zucker is a top 6 forward with term. The 1st will be late but I think Addison is a future 2nd pairing dman who can QB a powerplay.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Zuckers a nice player. He will help Pittsburgh.

But damn thats pretty rich. Nice haul for Minnesota.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Absolutely love it for the Penguins. Let’s face it, by the time that first rounder or Addison is ready for the NHL, this team will be in 100% rebuild mode.

GO FOR MORE CUPS NOW!!

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad