Confirmed Trade: [MIN/PIT] Jason Zucker for 2021 1st round pick, Alex Galchenyuk, and Calen Addison

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It wasn't so much fun after the 3-1 comeback in 2014, the 5 game 1 and done in 2015, you all said horrible things about Crosby and Malkin and wanted them both traded and a full on rebuild.

Hell there was like a 20 minute meltdown when Jeff Zatkoff lead the Penguins onto the ice for Game 1 in 2016.

Ya we ALL said that, sure. A minor segment of idiots is obviously representative of all Pens fans.

But nah, anyway I’m talking bout all those cups and being the most successful franchise in the league since ‘91.

Been lots of fun!

PS - forgot to thank the Rangers for getting Bylsma and Shero fired and ushering in the JR and Sullivan era.

Appreciate it!

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
It wasn't so much fun after the 3-1 comeback in 2014, the 5 game 1 and done in 2015, you all said horrible things about Crosby and Malkin and wanted them both traded and a full on rebuild.

Hell there was like a 20 minute meltdown when Jeff Zatkoff lead the Penguins onto the ice for Game 1 in 2016.

It would be very interesting to see if you could find anything where pens fans were looking for a full on rebuild and getting rid of Crosby and Malkin?

I'm critical of our fan base at times but that statement is pretty ridiculous

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It would be very interesting to see if you could find anything where pens fans were looking for a full on rebuild and getting rid of Crosby and Malkin?

I'm critical of our fan base at times but that statement is pretty ridiculous

Those posts from 2014 are long gone from the archives but I remember them well. Your fanbase was in shambles after that Game 7. Actually after Game 6. Actually after Marty scored that early goal in Game 6. Everyone knew it was a wrap right then and there.

Its OK, Caps fans did the same thing the next year in 2015.

(Its fine, you were just so demoralized you said things you don't really mean. I wanted everyone on the Rangers fired into the sun after we blew the SCF against the Kings too.)

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Those posts from 2014 are long gone from the archives but I remember them well. Your fanbase was in shambles after that Game 7. Actually after Game 6. Actually after Marty scored that early goal in Game 6. Everyone knew it was a wrap right then and there.

Please keep going......obviously nobody like to lose but shambles and calling for Crosby/Malkin to be traded and start over? Cmon bro

Maybe a few guys............... but there are couch coaches all over the forums on all teams. But to call out the whole fanbase? A little exaggerated aren't we?

Reactions: Hamurai

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Please keep going......obviously nobody like to lose but shambles and calling for Crosby/Malkin to be traded and start over? Cmon bro

Maybe a few guys............... but there are couch coaches all over the forums on all teams. But to call out the whole fanbase? A little exaggerated aren't we?

My original point stands, it definitely has been ALL fun and games for the Pens over the last decade. Whether you want to admit it or not things were looking very bad in Pittsburgh after those two bad playoff losses.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My original point stands, it definitely has been ALL fun and games for the Pens over the last decade. Whether you want to admit it or not things were looking very bad in Pittsburgh after those two bad playoff losses.

It’s 2020, Pens have won three cups in the Malkin and Crosby era and were the first team in 20 years to win b2b.

Just because a few fans lost their minds, doesn’t mean they speak for me.

I’ve enjoyed the hell out of the Malkin and Crosby era.

I couldn’t give two left balls if the Pens lucked into them or not. Having a moron like Baldwin almost destroy the team and sticking through the shitty times with them makes their good luck landing those two feel even sweeter.

Leafs fans don’t care that they lucked into Matthews or Oiler fans with McDavid.

Fans who make these kind of comments are jealous, not going to be PC here and pretend it’s anything else.

Lucking into great players literally takes away zero pleasure from watching these guys on your favorite teams.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

(Its fine, you were just so demoralized you said things you don't really mean. I wanted everyone on the Rangers fired into the sun after we blew the SCF against the Kings too.)

So why even bring it up to make a point. Kinda destroys the point when context is given and when it's only a few idiots calling for full rebuild. With nothing archived I could easily say I don't remember a single Pens fan looking for a full rebuild and then make a point around that.

Reactions: Hamurai and domaug

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I've never been happier after the Penguins were eliminated than in 2014. I figured the root of their problems was gone in Bylsma and I turned out to be correct.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So why even bring it up to make a point. Kinda destroys the point when context is given and when it's only a few idiots calling for full rebuild. With nothing archived I could easily say I don't remember a single Pens fan looking for a full rebuild and then make a point around that.

Saying there was a meltdown in the GDT when Zatkoff out of nowhere was announced as the Game 1 starter is way too specific to just make that up, I remember this to because that was the 20 minute period of optimism where I actually thought we weren't going to get our doors blown off.

And then the puck dropped.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

99.9% of Penguins posters here were so frustrated from 2012-2015 because we felt Crosby and Malkin were not being done right by. Nobody wanted them gone. Duh.

As for game 1, 2016- GDT’s exist for overreactions on a moment to moment basis, just bizarre to specifically reference 20 minutes of reaction from some people on the internet.

Last edited:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

There was probably some anger directed toward players at that point, but that paled in comparison to the anger directed at 1. a GM and Coach who were far too passive and comfortable and 2. an ownership group that seemed disinterested in doing anything about #1.

The most common sentiment around the Pens star players I remember from that time between 2013-late year 2015? "They should tell management they're f***ing done and ask for a trade". In the hopes that losing a franchise face would force ownership to finally stop the rot and mediocrity. The undercurrent of feeling from those times is the talent of 87/71/Letang deserved better than the level the Pens org was aspiring to.

They won that first cup with Shero/Bylsma and that got them both a long leash. Over the next 5 years the problems associated with the team (lack of scoring depth, pairing the stars with waiver fodder, poor fits trade-wise, emphasizing "tuffness" over skill, their obvious problems with temperament/adversity) were clear to most everyone in the hockey world. Remember the old "Just rattle the Pens cage, and they will lose their minds"? That was the cant-fail recipe to playing the pens for like 3 freaking years. How a modern coaching/management team failed to learn from the same repeated failures in that time was incredibly stupid. And maddening to watch as a fan.

Obviously the players were trying their damnedest the whole time, but by 2015 it really did look like they had squandered away the prime years of incredible talents. I think fans were quite rightly cynical and pissed off. In the spring of 2015 I honestly thought Malkin would be playing for the Blackhawks/Kings within a couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigEezyE22

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
oh sorry i thought he was from a later draft just off top of my head

when i heard he was going to all star i even looked up who the habs picked at the same time as Pitt choosing Jarry - we chose Fucale six picks ahead of Jarry and I think hes playing goal now at a IGA in St Henri

so Pitt can def draft altho maybe they had Fucale ahead of Jarry also and just missed him who knows
They haven’t drafted anyone respectable since Rutherford took over, so they can’t really draft well. When a back up goalie is your big draft pick from 7 years ago, that is bad. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They haven’t drafted anyone respectable since Rutherford took over, so they can’t really draft well. When a back up goalie is your big draft pick from 7 years ago, that is bad. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Thats not true. Kapanen was a good pick and has done well in TO.
Simon is a 5th round pick with 164 NHL games and 63points. Thats not great but respectable.

And the recent two drafts have some promising guys.
Poulin
Legare
Hallander
Addison (traded tho)

When you barely have picks in the first and 2nd rounds its hard to find NHL talent. You are looking for 3rd/4th line players or boom or bust guys. And it takes players 4 - 5 years to break in sometimes. Rust was a 2010 pick and players his first games in 2014-15

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Thats not true. Kapanen was a good pick and has done well in TO.
Simon is a 5th round pick with 164 NHL games and 63points. Thats not great but respectable.

And the recent two drafts have some promising guys.
Poulin
Legare
Hallander
Addison (traded tho)

When you barely have picks in the first and 2nd rounds its hard to find NHL talent. You are looking for 3rd/4th line players or boom or bust guys. And it takes players 4 - 5 years to break in sometimes. Rust was a 2010 pick and players his first games in 2014-15
And Guentzel.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Such Pens “fans”do exist - they’re just very rare, fortunately.

One reason why it might seem that more have been in on the blow-it-up scenarios, is that Pittsburgh media types suggest trading Malkin at some point during every other season. Curiously the same writers hardly ever saw Shero/Bylsma or Gladams as problems.... so...

Any Pens fan who thinks Sid and Malkin should not be considered the two primary solutions to anything regarding contending for cups is not worth listening to.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think Pens fans are just happy that Galchenyuk is off the team. What a waste of a 4th line spot and what a waste of a return for Kessel.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
JR literally just traded a really good prospect that he grabbed in round two (who was on team Canada), for a good top six fwd...

... and that wasn’t even his best prospect...

Yet someone is bitching about his drafting?

Edit: NM just saw which poster it was. Comical as usual.

Reactions: Riptide

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Name me one team that would rather have nice draft picks and not sniff a Stanley Cup? When you have exceptional talents the franchise has to be all in to win for that period. Yes eventually it ends, but for the run, nothing is off limits. Who right now looks to be a team that goes to 4 finals in 10 years. Plus Pens could go to another final or win a cup. If Toronto, Edmonton and a couple others do that from here good for them. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I think Pens fans are just happy that Galchenyuk is off the team. What a waste of a 4th line spot and what a waste of a return for Kessel.

I'm glad we've moved on, and Zucker is now on the Pens, but man it really is annoying that the summer Kessel trade was supposedly close completion in the summer, with alot less in the way of futures. If it really was Zucker/Rask for Kessel/Johnson as a base.

I guess there's an alternate reality where that trade goes through, Rask remains underwhelming, and Kessel doesnt help turn Minny into a contender. Then both teams are worse off, short term and long term. Now Minny has futures to assist a quick rebuild and the Pens are out of a larger contract while still getting their man.

Also, JJ has not been putrid this year. Don't get me wrong, I'd still move him if given the chance, but in the end things didnt work out too badly. I would just rather have saved the futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad