Trade: [MIN/PHI] Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton for Bayless, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, and 2022 2nd

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wouldn't have. The 2019 and 2021 picks would have been really low given Harden/Butler are still in their primes and CP3 also is likely still there.

Then you have to hope and pray that everything the Rockets do in 2023 and 2025 fails and you get a high end pick. The last time the Rockets picked in the top-10 was 2006; in fact, they've only had three top-10 picks since 2000.

The team would be more than likely to do something to be good, and there's no guarantee any of the picks will be as good as Dario Saric, especially late-round picks.

Eric Gordon can replace some of the offensive production lost w/ a Butler trade. T-Wolves can then take the Rockets later 1st round picks, Harden will be in his 30s by then and CP3 will likely be retired/ a role player.

I doubt they would have been able to keep all 3 but it was a move to win this year.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
If Butler’s point is that Sixers don’t run enough PnR then he won’t get much argument from the Sixers fans or media. It’s something that has been brought up many times.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To me, Butler is the 3rd best offensive player on that team. If he thinks he should be the primary option, I think he's wrong and I would hope Brett Brown would stand his ground.

If it's an entirely different issue, then we still have more to uncover.

Reactions: Voight

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Butler is a fool. Should just keep his mouth shut and play 3rd fiddle to Embiid/Simmons show.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
To me, Butler is the 3rd best offensive player on that team. If he thinks he should be the primary option, I think he's wrong and I would hope Brett Brown would stand his ground.

If it's an entirely different issue, then we still have more to uncover.

There’s no indication that Butler thinks he should be the primary option. And in fact it has been reported multiple times that Brown wants Butler to be more assertive. The issue reported here is, in the opinion of many Sixers fans and media, a completely valid one. For some reason, Brown does not run many pick and rolls. Not with Butler, not with Embiid, not with Simmons. And it doesn’t make sense, since all three should be very effective in the PnR.

So Butler’s point is a good one. The problem is that this was a coach-player discussion, which happens all the time on every team, and it got out to the press. And of course given Butler’s history, it is immediately perceived as a crisis. As a Sixers fan I’m not worried and I hope Brown takes Butler’s opinion to heart.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Butler is a fool. Should just keep his mouth shut and play 3rd fiddle to Embiid/Simmons show.

As much as I love Simmons, at this point in his career he’s not even a reliable 3rd scoring option. Embiid is the 1st option, Butler/Redick are next, then Simmons- if he’s in the mood. Apart from his lack of a jump shot he has a tendency to become very passive.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Brett Brown addresses the Butler situation:

In that film session that was referenced, I didn’t feel like any of that crossed the line. And if it did, it would’ve been dealt with quickly. People speculating about an argument or some type of ‘aggressive disagreement’ — if it were I would own it. I think that from his standpoint, that is unfair. I’ve had many conversations that with other players over my years coaching that would warrant that type of description. This wasn’t one of them for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->