Trade: [MIN/PHI] Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton for Bayless, Robert Covington, Dario Saric, and 2022 2nd

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The potential to rule the East is there but we will see, the 76ers are not particularly deep.Like the deal for the 76ers a lot, even if Butler is somewhat a cancer.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I really don't know what to think.

On paper it's certainly an upgrade , but Butler concerns me with another young core.

Big fan of Saric , and I think he'll fill a nice role for Minny spacing the floor. Covington gives them length/defense/versatility... I'm sure he'll be a Thibs fav.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I like this. The team doesn't have a drop off defensively and Butler is a much better offensive player than RoCo.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Don't mind this at all for Minny. Saric is a good player and gives them a stretch-4 that they lack. RoCo plays Butler's role.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Don't mind this at all for Minny. Saric is a good player and gives them a stretch-4 that they lack. RoCo plays Butler's role.

RoCo can’t play Butler’s role. He has no handle and is basically a catch and shoot guy. He’s strictly 3&D, doesn’t have nearly the offensive versatility that Butler has.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
RoCo can’t play Butler’s role. He has no handle and is basically a catch and shoot guy. He’s strictly 3&D, doesn’t have nearly the offensive versatility that Butler has.

Defensively he can and gives them a 3-point threat. Between KAT, Wiggins and Rose they won't need him to do a lot offensively.

I think it's a win for both teams. Philly got by far the best player in the deal and Minny got 2 guys that should fit in. I do think Philly will miss Saric.

Reactions: Voight

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So according to Dario, neither Brown nor the GM knew a thing about the trade before it was agreed upon. Apparently the owners did all the work.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Hard to believe the team with the “great” KAT, the max player Wiggins, Mr Awesome Butler and the rejuvenated DRose was 4-9 before the trade.

It’s a nice big three for Philly on paper but like others say, where is the depth? Do they have a chance against the Raps and Celtics without those big three on the court.

Reactions: Voight

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Defensively he can and gives them a 3-point threat. Between KAT, Wiggins and Rose they won't need him to do a lot offensively.

I think it's a win for both teams. Philly got by far the best player in the deal and Minny got 2 guys that should fit in. I do think Philly will miss Saric.

They’ll definitely miss Saric. I’m not sure who will start at the 4 now- it could be Simmons, Muscala, or Chandler. I think it should be Simmons, with Fultz and JJ the starting guards but I’d be surprised if Brown does that.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Guys come available as the season goes on. I'd rather worry about depth than not having the starters. Philly got Bellinelli last year after the deadline.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gonna guess the Sixers make another major trade before the deadline. Maybe something around Fultz for Korver and JR?

They badly need shooting so I definitely see another trade at some point but I can't see it being anything like that. Korver probably has little to no value because of his age/contract and JR might have negative value. Fultz's value is likely at an all-time low as well right now but he could be part of a package along with the future Miami pick for someone.

Depending on how things go for Miami, Ellington could be a good target for the Sixers. Great outside shooter on a cheap one year deal and probably won't cost too much.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Butler has loads of talent but not sure Philly and all that young talent is the best place for him. Have to see what happens.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Butler has loads of talent but not sure Philly and all that young talent is the best place for him. Have to see what happens.

He's a pretty toxic dressing room presence. Wow had a good point today - he got a bad rep in Chicago, it got worse in Minny and if things go bad in Philly that would be a perfect 3-for-3 making some teams hesitant to commit as much $$$ to him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
From the Athletic article:

Screenshot_20181112-135552_The_Athletic.jpg

Screenshot_20181112-135237_The_Athletic.jpg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Would have taken the Rockets offer.

100% it was... they know the clock is ticking
I wouldn't have. The 2019 and 2021 picks would have been really low given Harden/Butler are still in their primes and CP3 also is likely still there.

Then you have to hope and pray that everything the Rockets do in 2023 and 2025 fails and you get a high end pick. The last time the Rockets picked in the top-10 was 2006; in fact, they've only had three top-10 picks since 2000.

The team would be more than likely to do something to be good, and there's no guarantee any of the picks will be as good as Dario Saric, especially late-round picks.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wouldn't have. The 2019 and 2021 picks would have been really low given Harden/Butler are still in their primes and CP3 also is likely still there.

Then you have to hope and pray that everything the Rockets do in 2023 and 2025 fails and you get a high end pick. The last time the Rockets picked in the top-10 was 2006; in fact, they've only had three top-10 picks since 2000.

The team would be more than likely to do something to be good, and there's no guarantee any of the picks will be as good as Dario Saric, especially late-round picks.

Butler isn't as washed as Pierce/KG were in 2013 on those nets team. Plus morey vs billy king isn't close

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Butler probably walks from Houston. Not sure how they'd afford Harden/Paul/Butler. How many years does CP have? 2-3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->