Proposal: MIN - NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Minnesota trades Marco Rossi to New York Rangers for Kaapo Kakko.

No salary retained, Minnesota makes a huge gamble and tries to turn Kakko into power forward that he was deemed to be, while Rangers trade a winger for center so they improve their position of weakness.

Thoughts?

Is it too early to give up on Kakko in a trade like this? Or he may share Lias Andersson's fate if they wait too long?
no thanks, b'c...

Why would Minnesota or New York make this trade? Minnesota doesn't need more wingers they need center depth just like Detroit. Kakko > Rossi. Rossi by himself doesn't return a player of Kakko's capabilities.
this^ esp underline.
Were he available, NY could be interested in Rossi, but doubt he is.

We really only need centers.
... for this reason.

Rangers should pass and the Wild really need Rossi to be a #1 center. Both teams should just stick with their guy.
... sums it nicely.

Probably Strome but the price gets dicey. I have a feeling he would be too expensive.
THIS^.
For a guy who is not end of season rental, on good $, same deal thru next season, has progressed visibly, nicely since last season, proved he is not connected to Panarin at the hip, and has something like top 10 C stats so far this season, this is the guy Rangers to Wild that works, since NY needs to make room for emerging Fs.
Post covid flat cap will suppress all #s for a yr or 2, so after another 4.5 RS is looking at a yr like 5.5ish at most. Then it depends on market and how eliminated covid is as a factor.
Rare chance b'c NY also needs to prepare for Zib increase from 5+ to 8+ almost 9 on a 4 yr deal extension. There has to be no hemming and hawing on that, have the space and get the deal done or deal Zib as well.

As for cost, one of 2021 1st + 2021 3rd is what has been discussed with some support both ways.
Given 2021 is not a strong draft year, would Wild be good instead with
Wild 2021 2nd
and Wild 2022 1st?

Gives MIN extra help this yr and rewards NY for delayed gratification.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
If the Wild could add Strome for a 1st this year and a 2nd next year I would think that they would have to do that.

edit: I mis-read that. 2nd this year and a 1st next year is a yes from me. Not sure my Wild fan pals would agree.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
If the Wild could add Strome for a 1st this year and a 2nd next year I would think that they would have to do that.

edit: I mis-read that. 2nd this year and a 1st next year is a yes from me. Not sure my Wild fan pals would agree.

Yeah no they wouldn't

Guerin has made this very clear he won't trade 1st round pick

Wild aren't adding any players like strome who will take carapace, & cause expansion problems

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
no thanks, b'c...

this^ esp underline.
Were he available, NY could be interested in Rossi, but doubt he is.

... for this reason.

... sums it nicely.

THIS^.
For a guy who is not end of season rental, on good $, same deal thru next season, has progressed visibly, nicely since last season, proved he is not connected to Panarin at the hip, and has something like top 10 C stats so far this season, this is the guy Rangers to Wild that works, since NY needs to make room for emerging Fs.
Post covid flat cap will suppress all #s for a yr or 2, so after another 4.5 RS is looking at a yr like 5.5ish at most. Then it depends on market and how eliminated covid is as a factor.
Rare chance b'c NY also needs to prepare for Zib increase from 5+ to 8+ almost 9 on a 4 yr deal extension. There has to be no hemming and hawing on that, have the space and get the deal done or deal Zib as well.

As for cost, one of 2021 1st + 2021 3rd is what has been discussed with some support both ways.
Given 2021 is not a strong draft year, would Wild be good instead with
Wild 2021 2nd
and Wild 2022 1st?

Gives MIN extra help this yr and rewards NY for delayed gratification.

This would be an absolute not. Guerin, Wild gm isn't & has made it clear he's not moving 1at round picks or prospects

Strome would cost more expansion problems, & take up cap space

Wild aren't trading a 1st round pick especially future 1st round pick when maybe wild could have a worst team next year

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
A) this is just your opinion
B) we don’t know what Guerin will do
C) you don’t turn down the chance to add good players just to keep lesser ones for expansion.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
C) you don’t turn down the chance to add good players just to keep lesser ones for expansion.

It's not an opinion. Go listen to multiple podcasts, including trade deadline story where Guerin made it clear he's not trading 1st round picks, or prospects, & that his view is long term

Wild don't even have the cap space to add Ryan strome

Wild aren't going to add this year. Plan is to give Marco rossi every chance to make team

Wild aren't going to trade future picks only to have to expose Ryan strome

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This would be an absolute not. Guerin, Wild gm isn't & has made it clear he's not moving 1at round picks or prospects

Strome would cost more expansion problems, & take up cap space

Wild aren't trading a 1st round pick especially future 1st round pick when maybe wild could have a worst team next year

appreciate your vote --- no.
looking for the head count.

I believe we can come up w/mutually good price if enough want a deal.
Howev,
you make a good pt about the exp drft, that we can't help too much you have to figure on yr own.

If it didn't look like it would get flagged for circumvention somehow, I would suggest that given NYR
protecting Trouba [required NMC] and Lindgren,
our next guy is Hajek who is worth the slot.

If you paid us enuf we could theoretically take Dumba and at some pt trade him back to you, but
theory and real world machinations do not always align!

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

If 4 & 4
Fiala
Joel Eriksson Ek
Parise
Zuccarello

If Parise waives:
Jordan greenway or Marcus foligno
Zuccarello
Fiala
Joel Eriksson Ek

7 & 3
Joel Eriksson Ek
Parise
Zuccarello
Fiala
Jordan greenway
Marcus foligno: who just sighed 3 years extension
Nico sturm

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's not an opinion. Go listen to multiple podcasts, including trade deadline story where Guerin made it clear he's not trading 1st round picks, or prospects, & that his view is long term

Wild don't even have the cap space to add Ryan strome

Wild aren't going to add this year. Plan is to give Marco rossi every chance to make team

Wild aren't going to trade future picks only to have to expose Ryan strome

Do you not understand how insanely stupid it would be for Guerin to be completely transparent to the public about what he is thinking and doing?

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Do you not understand how insanely stupid it would be for Guerin to be completely transparent to the public about what he is thinking and doing?

Yes, but at same time, Russo just reported on NHL network that Guerin has no plans to make a trade, & that Guerin isn't trading any of his 1st round picks, 2nd round pick, or 3rd round pick

Guerin is just going to continue to evaluate, & give this group a chance

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
At minimum. All that list really shows is that Strome would be an upgrade to the current situation.

Strome whose not a good face off c? Strome whose a free agent in 1 year?
Strome who will have to move rask to take him on?

Yes wild needs c's but some of you just willing to give up 1st round picks is baffling especially for strome.

2022 draft is also better than 21, but at same time Judd brackett being here is understandable in wild gm not willing to move picks

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Rangers easily say no. Rossi is a good prospect, but Kakko is coming along better than the points would show and should break out next year. Kakko is one of the leaders in takeaways/60 in only his 2nd year after being atrocious defensively as a rookie.

Reactions: UnSandvich

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Yes Wild needs c's but some of you just willing to give up 1st round picks is baffling especially for strome.
2022 draft is also better than 21, but at same time Judd brackett being here is understandable in wild gm not willing to move picks

All good points.
Depends on what Wild think of the opportunity right here, right now
Do they want to bulk up their O and C depth for the posssible Avs/VGK playoff gauntlet?
If so, those moves are unavoidably pricy. NYR while contending earlier in 2010's went 4 years w/o a 1st round pick

I am not proposing any a particular deal.
But if FO decides they want this season's team to have best chance to go deep, painful price(s) may be paid

IF RH C, who is contributing mucho points, is a need, Strome would be on the short list to consider.

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019
The past two games against the penguins were the first time I've watched Kakko and was nervous when he had the puck on his stick. Kid looked dangerous and his game seems to be rounding into shape in his second season at still only 20 years old. The Rangers would be foolish to let him go so early in his career for anything less than a really solid established player on a good contract. For example if Kakko is one of the pieces you have to part with to land Eichel then you probably do it or at least think long and hard about it but for a prospect its an easy no from the Rangers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Yes wild needs c's but some of you just willing to give up 1st round picks is baffling especially for strome.

Strome who is a 61 point per 82 game player over his last 172 games despite not being great at face-offs?

Strome who could absolutely factor into this beyond his current contract?

Strome who I would have no qualms with moving Rask to fit him in?

Yes, that Strome.

Last edited:

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Strome who is a 61 point per 82 game player over his last 172 games despite not being great at face-offs?

Strome who could absolutely factor into this beyond his current contract?

Strome who I would have no qualms with moving Rask to fit him in?

Yes, that Strome.

You still needs to pay to move rask which Guerin clearly has said he won't

You are the only one who think wild need to sell pieces to go all in this year

Ryan strome whose going to be free agent. & ask for 7-8mil per year?

So money which can be saved for kaprizov, fiala, Joel Eriksson Ek, matt boldy will go to Ryan strome which will be another parise mistake

2 good years playing with panarin doesn't mean much.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You still needs to pay to move rask which Guerin clearly has said he won't

You are the only one who think wild need to sell pieces to go all in this year

Ryan strome whose going to be free agent. & ask for 7-8mil per year?

So money which can be saved for kaprizov, fiala, Joel Eriksson Ek, matt boldy will go to Ryan strome which will be another parise mistake

2 good years playing with panarin doesn't mean much.

I don't care what Guerin says. I'm saying what I think he should do. I'm not pretending to know what he's going to do, like some.

It's not going "all in".

$7M is fine if he's the player that he's been the last 2 years.

Kaprizov, Fiala and Eriksson Ek will all be taken care of by the time whatever Strome's extension would be kicks in. Boldy and Rossi are figured out by Zuccarello/Foligno/Talbot trades or expirations, and then Parise and Suter open up another $15M the next year.

We have our own really good Russian that he can play with. You know, the same guy that is so good that you wouldn't trade for Eichel?

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't care what Guerin says. I'm saying what I think he should do. I'm not pretending to know what he's going to do, like some.

It's not going "all in".

$7M is fine if he's the player that he's been the last 2 years.

Kaprizov, Fiala and Eriksson Ek will all be taken care of by the time whatever Strome's extension would be kicks in. Boldy and Rossi are figured out by Zuccarello/Foligno/Talbot trades or expirations, and then Parise and Suter open up another $15M the next year.

We have our own really good Russian that he can play with. You know, the same guy that is so good that you wouldn't trade for Eichel?

Strome is under contract for next yr at the same 4.5 this season.
The following season league is likely getting out from under covid so if he still produces, if he let's you go only the one yr [w/idea that maybe prices soar the following yr], then the first yr after this deal is likely to be closer to 5.75 or 6, not 7.

Quality eventually commands what the market will bear but beyond this season, you would get a couple of seasons relatively cheap in any event.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The past two games against the penguins were the first time I've watched Kakko and was nervous when he had the puck on his stick. Kid looked dangerous and his game seems to be rounding into shape in his second season at still only 20 years old. The Rangers would be foolish to let him go so early in his career for anything less than a really solid established player on a good contract. For example if Kakko is one of the pieces you have to part with to land Eichel then you probably do it or at least think long and hard about it but for a prospect its an easy no from the Rangers.

don't believe the clickbait
we are not trading our bluest blue chip elcs.
even for eichel esp since that's a 10+m cap hit which = structural cap probs we can't afford until Trouba waives/can be dealt in 3 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad