Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
:wild

Ryan Strome

:rangers

Jordan Greenway
2nd round pick (39th overall)
NYR should at least add a 3rd.

I'm also much more skeptical of Strome as a target than I was 48 hours ago. I think Guerin intends to go into next season with Johansson as his 2C and hopes to promote someone (Khovanov? our 1st this year?) into that role beyond that.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
was thinking the same and we already don't have a 3rd so maybe switch the 2nd to a 4th or maybe make it a 3rd in 2021

To be honest with you, downgrading that pick from a 2nd to a 4th certainly swings the pendulum kinda far in Minnesota's favor.

I'd be interested in Kunin if the pick attached to Greenway is too high.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
switch the 2nd. nope. Minnesota already without a 3rd. ryan strome is also a restricted free agent who is trying to get paid, 1 good season is his career, Nope, Minnesota has been trying to keep adding to their prospect pool and not trade away draft pick. so no

wild also have to pay Kaprizov and Fiala.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To be honest with you, downgrading that pick from a 2nd to a 4th certainly swings the pendulum kinda far in Minnesota's favor.

If the 2nd round pick attached to Greenway is too much, what on earth makes you think Kunin is acceptable?

I'm with Bazeek. Regardless of anyone's perception of each player, the additions of Bjugstad and Johansson make a Strome acquisition a bit superfluous when it comes to mediocre 2C's.

Reactions: sisseton

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Kunin would probably be the more valuable player, at least to the Wild.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think I’d do the 2nd. Greenway has a lot of untapped potential and I wouldn’t want to add to him to get a player who probably gives 40-50 points on the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not a Strome guy, myself.

While a 2nd isn't that big of a deal(years of Chuck Fletcher conditioning has taken hold), it is a pretty early one, and i'd like to take a swing at a boom bust LHD or C prospect there like Wallinder, Jurmo, or Smilanic, or Khusnutdinov...Ryan O'Rourke or Kuznetsov would be more solid picks who are likely to solid NHL careers.

Let's keep our powder dry, and see if the big guy matures and finds some consistency this year. He can be awesome.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I do it from Minnesota's perspective pretty easily, even with the 2nd. Although I am a lot lower on Greenway than many other Wild fans.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Don't think I'd want to add the 39th.

I'm also much more skeptical of Strome as a target than I was 48 hours ago. I think Guerin intends to go into next season with Johansson as his 2C and hopes to promote someone (Khovanov? our 1st this year?) into that role beyond that.

If the 2nd round pick attached to Greenway is too much, what on earth makes you think Kunin is acceptable?

I'm with Bazeek. Regardless of anyone's perception of each player, the additions of Bjugstad and Johansson make a Strome acquisition a bit superfluous when it comes to mediocre 2C's.

Compromise here:
Strome + both 2020 3rds [NYR + Dal] + NYR 2021 2nd
for
Greenway + PIT 2021 1st (unprotected)

Wild keeps picks this yr, adds.
NY gets Greenie and a better pick, gratification delayed.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Compromise here:
Strome + both 2020 3rds [NYR + Dal] + NYR 2021 2nd
for
Greenway + PIT 2021 1st (unprotected)

Wild keeps picks this yr, adds.
NY gets Greenie and a better pick, gratification delayed.

That's not really a compromise. We need to keep that first. We need all the higher end talent we can get, which is why we shouldn't be trading the 2nd.

If you want to work a pick swap, I would only consider something around Strome+CAR 2020 1st for Greenway+MIN 2020 2nd+MIN 2021 2nd. No idea if that's worth it to the Rangers, but I don't consider giving up the higher pick worth it in nearly any scenario.

And as stated before, with the additions of Bjugstad and Johansson, for better or worse, it makes a Strome trade less necessary.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

whys that

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's not really a compromise. We need to keep that first. We need all the higher end talent we can get, which is why we shouldn't be trading the 2nd.

If you want to work a pick swap, I would only consider something around Strome+CAR 2020 1st for Greenway+MIN 2020 2nd+MIN 2021 2nd. No idea if that's worth it to the Rangers, but I don't consider giving up the higher pick worth it in nearly any scenario.

Thought you'd be receptive to giving up higher pick next year for immediate draft selections now in a deep draft.

That alternate would not be viable for NY.
The CAR pick is a good slot in a deep draft.
Return is immediate.

Pit pick is delayed gratification a year away, and could be better or worse than 22OA, and that again is having to wait.

If you don't want delayed pick next yr, all this yr, then as others mentioned
OP's Greenway + 2nd
for
Strome + NY 3rd + maybe something small added.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Thought you'd be receptive to giving up higher pick next year for immediate draft selections now in a deep draft.

That alternate would not be viable for NY.
The CAR pick is a good slot in a deep draft.
Return is immediate.

Pit pick is delayed gratification a year away, and could be better or worse than 22OA, and that again is having to wait.

If you don't want delayed pick next yr, all this yr, then as others mentioned
OP's Greenway + 2nd
for
Strome + NY 3rd + maybe something small added.

Again, it's not about the overall value for me, it's about the 2nd round this year that I'm not going to give up unless a higher pick this year is coming back. We need the attempts at higher end players, not just more picks.

Reactions: bernmeister

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

And as stated before, with the additions of Bjugstad and Johansson, for better or worse, it makes a Strome trade less necessary.

Strome is younger than both and a lot healthier than Bjugstad though. It'd be risky dishing him out a big contract extension after a career year, but I don't think it would be the worst thing this team could do. Although, there is the expansion draft conundrum that we'd be in which would practically force Dumba to be moved so we could protect 7-3-1.

Reactions: bernmeister

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Strome is younger than both and a lot healthier than Bjugstad though. It'd be risky dishing him out a big contract extension after a career year, but I don't think it would be the worst thing this team could do. Although, there is the expansion draft conundrum that we'd be in which would practically force Dumba to be moved so we could protect 7-3-1.

There are only so many roster spots to hand out. We already have to lose 2 guys as it is. Acquiring Strome would toss him into the mix with Johansson, Ek, Bjugstad as top 9 centers who aren't going anywhere.

Like you said, the contract is a concern as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad