Confirmed Trade: [MIN/NJD] Michael Kapla for Ryan Murphy

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Is ryan Murphy the bust defender drafted by the canes in 2011? He was supposed to be a good player at one but never put it all together. No idea who the other guy is.
Yes he decided to be a body builder and got slow asf. Never recovered from that.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
the point is it doesn't matter where he was drafted anymore

he was drafted 8 years ago
Valuing him as a 1st rounder is flat out wrong at best
Im sad to inform both of you, but its called OPINIONS.

I said 'f*** it' as in he is practically a free player (Kapla was nothing to us) and he was a 1st round pick.

Does it not make sense to rather it be an 11th overall pick eight years later than a 111th pick from eight years ago?

Telling someone their opinion is 'wrong', yikes

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I said '**** it' as in he is practically a free player (Kapla was nothing to us) and he was a 1st round pick.

Does it not make sense to rather it be an 11th overall pick eight years later than a 111th pick from eight years ago?

Telling someone their opinions is 'wrong' LOL
Doesn't matter in the least at this point

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I said '**** it' as in he is practically a free player (Kapla was nothing to us) and he was a 1st round pick.

its literally meaningless.

Reactions: mab894

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why do this trade? Murphy hasn't been great, but he hasn't been bad either. Seems like he has more upside, so what's the point in this trade? Fenton seems like a downie to me..

Minnesota saves 100K in real money in the deal. I'm sure the owner would at least be mildly pleased with that. They may have felt Belpedio was ready for more ice time in the AHL as well.

Wonder if Murphy sees NHL ice before the end of the year.

I could see him in some garbage games down the stretch if somebody like Vatanen is banged up and there's no real point in trotting them out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild had a lot of righties in Iowa as well; Belpedio, Bouramman, Murphy, Mennell, Warner...helps balance things out.
Yeah, and Menell and Belpedio are similar types. Smallish, offensive minded RHD. Warner is a whole different deal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Opinions can be wrong, you don't just get to post incorrect things and claim it's your opinion so no one can criticize you.

Where either player was drafted 8 years ago is literally meaningless to their value or ability now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Murphy wasn't going to get another shot at the NHL in MN. GMPF just added Hunt and Bitetto (guys he had in NSH) to go with Prosser in the 6D/pressbox rotation.

I see it more as a the GM doing right by a player, where maybe another team gives him a chance MN can't/won't in the NHL. They did the same thing with Reilly last year by sending him to MTL for almost nothing. I don't see Murphy (UFA after the season) being in the team's long term plans. In return they got a RFA, who they can get a look at and decide to keep him or not after the season.

At worst the trade makes the Wild's AHL a little worse.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i think the wisconsin connection had something to do with this.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Too lazy to dig up the 2011 Draft discussion on our team board. There were a few folks who were proponents of trading down to add extra picks and taking Murphy. I think the reasoning was "You can teach defense, you can't teach offense."

More than likely an AHL trade. Murphy was making 275K in the minors while Kapla is at 70K, so Minnesota saves a little money.
Crazy that we live in a world where over 200,000 is some times seen as a little money

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A name I haven't heard in a long time. Ryan Murphy. Would have thought this was an era he would have done well in.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Opinions can be wrong, you don't just get to post incorrect things and claim it's your opinion so no one can criticize you.

Where either player was drafted 8 years ago is literally meaningless to their value or ability now.
How naive you must be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad