Confirmed Trade: [MIN/NJD] Michael Kapla for Ryan Murphy

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Too lazy to dig up the 2011 Draft discussion on our team board. There were a few folks who were proponents of trading down to add extra picks and taking Murphy. I think the reasoning was "You can teach defense, you can't teach offense."

I could be wrong here but I think I have seen it before that he got into some injury troubles in his early 20s. Some players can adapt after injury better then others.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Is ryan Murphy the bust defender drafted by the canes in 2011? He was supposed to be a good player at one but never put it all together. No idea who the other guy is.
I watched him play in the O, I knew back then that he was not as good as the scouting reports had him. He was pick-pocketed by guys that would never get drafted and had more turn overs than the rest of the team combined.

I should be a scout.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
NJ keeps adding former 1st rounders. How has Meuller panned out? Honest question....not trolling.

hes been OK

he was playing on the top pairing to start the year with Vatanen and doing well and then he had a couple subpar games and was basically banished

hes back playing now due to injuries

Reactions: Tripod

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
dont get why minnesota did it

If Murphy wasn't in their NHL plans, the trade saves about 100K in actual dollars. As much as we like to think our teams' owners have an endless supply of cash, I'm sure they appreciate saving some money if it doesn't have any big consequences. I don't know much about their AHL club in Iowa, but perhaps Murphy and Louis Belpedio were kinda redundant?

NJ keeps adding former 1st rounders. How has Meuller panned out? Honest question....not trolling.

Probably replacement level at this point. I imagine he'll get a qualifying offer, but I would hope the Devils would look for some upgrades at LD in the offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
so when you have injuries youd rather have to call up a worse player

kk

Dumba's injured for the whole season now. Murphy got called up for 2 games and then sent right back down because he isn't good enough.

Yeah, I'm not losing sleep about a couple of players who will never play in the NHL.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dumba's injured for the whole season now. Murphy got called up for 2 games and then sent right back down because he isn't good enough.

Yeah, I'm not losing sleep about a couple of players who will never play in the NHL.

thats 1 injury, all this trade did was make for a worse callup if there are more. murphy has 174 nhl games played, dumb to just group him as someone who will never play in the nhl

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
thats 1 injury, all this trade did was make for a worse callup if there are more. murphy has 174 nhl games played, dumb to just group him as someone who will never play in the nhl

And his games played per season have gone down every year. Most of that came at the beginning of his career when Carolina still hoped he would turn out. He's not an NHL defenseman at this stage of his career.

And again, if Murphy had actually stuck as an injury call-up, you'd have a point. But he wasn't good enough to be a long term injury call-up, so it doesn't really matter.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Murphy had a period last season where he looked decent. Was playing with Brodin, and they seemed to come to an understanding. He's got some puck handling and skating skills, for sure. Doesn't seem to process the game very fast, though. Think he could help QB a #2 PP, and play 3rd pairing RD for a NHL team hurting for Dmen. Not a defensive stalwart.

Could be this is a favor for Murphy, giving him a start somewhere else where he might get some NHL time. GM's will do that if it doesn't hurt their overall team makeup and the player in question has been a good soldier.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Could be this is a favor for Murphy, giving him a start somewhere else where he might get some NHL time. GM's will do that if it doesn't hurt their overall team makeup and the player in question has been a good soldier.

This is what I thought it was. Can't see any other reason why it needed to happen.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Minnesota obviously sees Mennell and Belpedio being ahead of Murphy on the right side at this point. This is most likely a trade to try and balance the LHD and RHD in Iowa.

Reactions: Bazeek

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
ok so you just disagreed with me over snd over but basically agreed with him and said the same basic thing

No, because I don’t mean it in the sense that it’s puzzling and we shouldn’t have done it, I mean it in the sense that it’s so inconsequential that it’s pointless. It’s not like Fenton was shopping Murphy and this is all he could get. I’m saying Murphy probably approached Fenton asking to be moved for a better opportunity. Or New Jersey’s GM approached Fenton asking for him (for whatever reason).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Gotta be an effort to get Belpedio playing on the right side, assuming that's where the Wild want him on the depth chart. Otherwise I don't get it.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Why do this trade? Murphy hasn't been great, but he hasn't been bad either. Seems like he has more upside, so what's the point in this trade? [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->