Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Alex Stalock extends with the Wild (3 years, $785K AAV)

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Very unusual to see an older backup get 3yrs, but it's good for the Wild IMO.
I assume Stalock wanted the guaranteed money (1-way) rather than gambling later on.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Because in 2 summers, when the expansion draft happens, this guarantees us having a goalie that's eligible for exposure without threat of losing Kahkonen or Dubnyk.

You are suggesting that the Wild would be unable to sign a back up next year or the year after to expose? Pretty odd imo

Reactions: 2Pair

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Very unusual to see an older backup get 3yrs, but it's good for the Wild IMO.
I assume Stalock wanted the guaranteed money (1-way) rather than gambling later on.

Yeah, if you're resigned to the fact of never being a starter, take the guaranteed money. A backup's life is extremely volatile

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You are suggesting that the Wild would be unable to sign a back up next year or the year after to expose? Pretty odd imo

They are comfortable with what they have in Stalock and the price they have him at. Plus they can still shop for other goalies and send Stalock to the AHL without taking a cap hit.

Come next year and the year after there will be a few backups getting overpayed because they have the leverage.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
They are comfortable with what they have in Stalock and the price they have him at. Plus they can still shop for other goalies and send Stalock to the AHL without taking a cap hit.

Come next year and the year after there will be a few backups getting overpayed because they have the leverage.

That wasnt the argument though

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Stalock is the type of goalie that could be out of the NHL in any year. Makes sense for both parties IMO.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I was wondering how a Stalock thread could hit 3 pages and was really expecting more jelly of the month jokes. Kinda disappointed.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
contract can get buried off the cap if he stinks.............so low risk and he took the money to stay in the league or atleast get paid

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
it's a devil you know, we have a tender signed for the expansion rules, i'm pretty sure teammates like him. why no? Not your money. he can get buried if they want.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
it's a devil you know, we have a tender signed for the expansion rules, i'm pretty sure teammates like him. why no? Not your money. he can get buried if they want.
Those are all fine reasons why nobody needs to really hate this deal. Can you come up with any reasons to like it?

It's cool when your 13th forward is friends with everybody and "great in the room" but a backup goalie has to actually win you some games.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Because you can "probably" all you want, but backups are backups because they generally aren't good enough to start. thus the "devil you know" part; stalock has been here long enough for bruce to have a better guess as to how he's feeling than he would an unfamiliar goalie. not by itself a reason not to try something else but with everything else there's no real reason to switch it up IMO. Don't have to love it--i can't think of any backup signing i'd "love".

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Because you can "probably" all you want, but backups are backups because they generally aren't good enough to start. thus the "devil you know" part; stalock has been here long enough for bruce to have a better guess as to how he's feeling than he would an unfamiliar goalie. not by itself a reason not to try something else but with everything else there's no real reason to switch it up IMO. Don't have to love it--i can't think of any backup signing i'd "love".
Makes zero sense

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Makes zero sense
That makes no sense? How often does he (bruce) say something like "I could tell in practice so and so wasn't going to have a good game"? One backup at that price point will be roughly as good as another unless you strike it rich somehow. I guess you can hate the re-signing if you want but I really don't see why. He's cheap, he's okay, he's familiar, he's signed for long enough to be eligible for expansion and not much longer. I honestly don't really care one way or the other. he's clearly not "goalie of the future" and anyone we sign to that spot wouldn't be either. He has as much chance as winning games as most backups.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That makes no sense? How often does he (bruce) say something like "I could tell in practice so and so wasn't going to have a good game"? One backup at that price point will be roughly as good as another unless you strike it rich somehow. I guess you can hate the re-signing if you want but I really don't see why. He's cheap, he's okay, he's familiar, he's signed for long enough to be eligible for expansion and not much longer. I honestly don't really care one way or the other. he's clearly not "goalie of the future" and anyone we sign to that spot wouldn't be either. He has as much chance as winning games as most backups.
Assuming all backups are terrible and just re-signing the terrible goalie you have because you already know he's terrible? That's your logic? I'm on board with your opinion that this isn't all that big of a deal in the grand scheme, but I certainly hope that Fenton puts a little more effort than that into player evals.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Assuming all backups are terrible and just re-signing the terrible goalie you have because you already know he's terrible? That's your logic? I'm on board with your opinion that this isn't all that big of a deal in the grand scheme, but I certainly hope that Fenton puts a little more effort than that into player evals.

not assuming all backups are terrible. assuming all backups (available) are going to be roughly equal (ie backup quality)--i'm also assuming they have assessed what is out there and what's available and nothing stands out as markedly better right now.

I have no idea how you pulled the idea that i think all backups are terrible and might as well just sign the one we have without looking at anyone else out of that. We're not in the market for a 1B kind of guy to push Dubnyk so the field is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad