Millionaires Stanley Cup Banner

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I realized recently that the Ottawa Senators have Stanley Cup banners up in their arena, from when the original Senators won multiple Stanley Cups.

Seeing as this is the case, I think the Canucks should put up a Vancouver Millionaires 1915 Stanley Cup Champions banner. Is there really any more connection between the Senators (1992) and the city of Ottawa's early 1900's Cups as there is between the Canucks and the Millionaires Cup? Just the fact that the current Ottawa franchise happened to pick the same moniker? I don't buy it.

Let's get it up there - I'd like to see a Cup banner up in this city at some point in my lifetime....

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
They should just bring this back instead:

7th_canuck.jpg

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I guess there's that, that it's a little tacky and they weren't won by the current teams, but there's also the history of those cups being won so long ago that might deserve some recognition or commemoration.

Maybe it could be appropriate to have something somewhere in the arena, but maybe not hanging from the rafters .

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's not that it was a different franchise but it wasn't even the NHL.

The Senators actually won a Stanley cup as part of the NHL, and in fact won it in the very first season where the NHL was the only league in competition for it.

The millionaires won the cup as part of the PCHA in the first season when PCHA champions were allowed to challenge the NHA champions (in fact the Senators) for the cup.

It's just a totally different thing.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yeah, the Stanley Cup back then was more akin to the MLB All-Star game than a determination of hockey supremacy.

This is an example of the follies of trophy-worship in North American sports over actual measures of achievement. It also leads to Twitter Leaf fans saying things like “At least our team has won a Cup!” with zero context. That is roughly equivalent to arguing the BC Lions are a better team than the New England Patriots.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The original engravement for the 1915 year had Ottawa as the winner, because they were the NHA champions and the NHA did not initially recognize some silly exhibition games against a PCHA team as meaning they lost their trophy.

Sounds weird but I imagine if the Penguins played the top KHL team "for the cup" last year and lost, we would mostly adopt the same attitude.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah, the Stanley Cup back then was more akin to the MLB All-Star game than a determination of hockey supremacy.
What would you call all those Cups during the "original six" years where more than half the teams were effectively controlled or strongly influenced by a single team? (eg., The Norris league).

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
There should be something in the concorse. Like where they have all that memorabilia set up. Or the BC Sports Hall of Fame over in BC Place. Pitting it up in the rafters of Rogers Arena would be the definition of sad.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i wouldn't care about a small banner hanging somewhere off to the side commemorating it, but i'd like to see one of the current goofy banners taken down in return.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I started this idea when talking to a buddy who is a Sens fan, and he was going on about how his team has Cups. I said no, they don't. The city does.

Anyways, meant to be almost entirely farcical, also poking at just how lackluster our beloved Canucks have been over 47 years.

I did like the suggestion of some sort of recognition in the concourse somewhere, though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as it was done tactfully. Had an opportunity to go to Camden Yards last month and the job they do celebrating their history there - of baseball in Baltimore, not just the Orioles - is amazing.

The biggest thing that needs to be done here is changing the banners back to the correct colours. Having a blue/green Smyl retired jersey banner and blue/green 1982/94 banners is an abomination. Those players bled for that uniform and logo, and it's frankly insulting to them to have their accomplishments historically whitewashed into the new 'everything blue and green' colour scheme.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
No way!! As much as it sucks that this team hasn't won any cups that also adds to the level of anticipation towards getting that first one. Having a Stanley Cup banner already up there would cheapen the thrill. Imagine the banner raising ceremony after this team finally wins a cup and it is raised up right beside the Millionaires banner. Puke.

Honestly there would be no pride in it. Its like being proud of winning something you cheated at.
It's like wearing a black belt when you're still a blue belt to impress your friends. There is no pride associated with it. It's just a 'hey look at me i'm just as good as the rest of you guys'. But were not. We suck. We've been losing our entire existence. Being a fan of this team is holding out hope that one day we will finally, legitimately, be able to raise that banner. Until then, hell no.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It doesn't deserve anywhere near the place of what an actual cup would earn, but since there are so many silly awards and recognition handed out on a yearly basis to player and team already IMO, I don't see an issue with a small spot for it somewhere that is tucked away as part of hockey lore and the city's history with the sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad