Millencolin (music)

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Hey guys!

Greetings from Boston. Sorry didn't know where else to post to a strictly Swedish audience. Millencolin has been my favorite band for over a decade. When I was 13, I picked up one of their old CDs on hearing a track and liked it. Since then, they have consistently been my favorite band. Just wanted to hear some Swedes thoughts on them and what their popularity is there. Thanks!

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Never heard about them before your post, just searched on them on youtube and trying to figure out the genre. Is it pop-rock or punk-rock maybe? Either way i think it would be a very small select group of swedes who listen to this kind of music.

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden
Never heard about them before your post, just searched on them on youtube and trying to figure out the genre. Is it pop-rock or punk-rock maybe? Either way i think it would be a very small select group of swedes who listen to this kind of music.

Some would label them skate-punk, some would label them punk rock, and some would label them pop-punk. In truth though, they are probably a mixture of all three. Overall, they are a decent band, but I can't say they've been all that big in Sweden, except for a couple of years where they had some hits. From what I gather, they've been pretty popular abroad though, and they are signed to quite a good music label, Epitaph Record, which is owned by Brett Gurewitz, who plays guitar in Bad Religion.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Some would label them skate-punk, some would label them punk rock, and some would label them pop-punk. In truth though, they are probably a mixture of all three. Overall, they are a decent band, but I can't say they've been all that big in Sweden, except for a couple of years where they had some hits. From what I gather, they've been pretty popular abroad though, and they are signed to quite a good music label, Epitaph Record, which is owned by Brett Gurewitz, who plays guitar in Bad Religion.

Exactly. I grew up going to punk and ska shows so that's where it took off for me. One of the first bands I saw actually was Bad Religion. I know they are big abroad and had heard that they were more developed in other areas of the world than in Sweden. I know Australia has a big following as well as South America. Here in the states they aren't big except with diehard fans. Orebro boys and two of 'em are excellent skateboarders.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham

I figured as much. I know when they play in their hometown their shows sell out so quick but I didn't know about their popularity otherwise. They are really a combination of those two things. Skate Punk is how they were originally thought of solely because they have such a skateboarding background. They've been on Burning Heart/Epitaph for a long time and have always been one of the more respected bands around. They do alot of their own songs in Swedish too.

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
No Cigar is a really good song. Saw them once at a festival, decent liveband. If you would ask 20-30 year-old swedes I think most would know of them. Any range outside would probably have no clue, except punkers. Got my eyes on them playing Tony Hawk on PS1 long time ago! Which was also the the introduction to some Bad Religion songs.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Ah, this brought back memories. One of my favorite bands growing up. Seen them live plenty of times as well, they come from Örebro that is an hour drive from where I live/lived. Was very much in to punk, ska, hardcore etc when I was a teenager. Still am but not in the same way.

Among my friends back then Millencolin was a very popular band but I dont hear about any one listening to them now.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Ah, this brought back memories. One of my favorite bands growing up. Seen them live plenty of times as well, they come from Örebro that is an hour drive from where I live/lived. Was very much in to punk, ska, hardcore etc when I was a teenager. Still am but not in the same way.

Among my friends back then Millencolin was a very popular band but I dont hear about any one listening to them now.

Same. Music tastes develop and expand and I've branched out quite a bit but I always come back and go on a kick for a while. As teenager I skateboarded alot so it was a marriage of the two things for me.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Same. Music tastes develop and expand and I've branched out quite a bit but I always come back and go on a kick for a while. As teenager I skateboarded alot so it was a marriage of the two things for me.

Was a punk rocker my self, but in a small town all the misfits stuck together, skaters, punks and metal heads.
I listen to a very different kind of music today, even do it has to have a soul and most likely a dirty touch. But it is always nice to get nostalgic and what better way then to listen to a band called Millencolin :)

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
@Dosing Maybe you were to young to remember the '90s but Millencolin were pretty big in Sweden during that decade when skate-punk used to be relevant. I used to like Millencolin up until around 10 years ago when they switched to pop music. And all the cats and dogs I've ever met are smarter than Corey and Trevor.

nudie

Feb 26, 2010
Used to listen to them when I was 13-14, I've seen them at a festival a few years ago but it's mostly a blur :)

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
@Dosing Maybe you were to young to remember the '90s but Millencolin were pretty big in Sweden during that decade when skate-punk used to be relevant. I used to like Millencolin up until around 10 years ago when they switched to pop music. And all the cats and dogs I've ever met are smarter than Corey and Trevor.

MOST cats and dogs are smarter than Cory and Trevor:)

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
They used to be one of my favorite bands back around the time of Tiny Tunes and Life on a Plate. Listening to them now brings back a lot of memories, don't care much for nostalgia, but some of their melodies makes me feel like the young tween/teen skater I once was. :)

KennyPowers9

Jan 2, 2013
Göteborg
Oh Millen :handclap: I listened to them all the time around 2005.. from Lozin must ; My favorite hockey team is strugglin'
It makes my stomach bubblin' bad - guess theyre feeling better now since Örebro hc is pretty descent nowadays :laugh:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Oh Millen :handclap: I listened to them all the time around 2005.. from Lozin must ; My favorite hockey team is strugglin'
It makes my stomach bubblin' bad - guess theyre feeling better now since Örebro hc is pretty descent nowadays :laugh:

Must be strong....Can't be wrong!

I've always wanted to visit Orebro. I've wanted to visit Sweden regardless as it's one of the countries I've yet to visit but that town in particular because of Millencolin.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
wow I loved Millencolin when I was younger. I have been listening to them since the 90'S. Home From Home is still one of my favourite albums.

Glad to see there are others around that enjoy their music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad