Value of: Miles Wood

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am having a hard time trying to figure out why he's not signed yet. He is the Devils first holdout since Scott Niedermayer. By all accounts, Shero and Wood's agent haven't spoken in almost two weeks. Theodore, Nylander, and Reinhart are at least being talked about.. it's radio silence with Wood.

Also having a hard time coming up with comparables around the league since he is such a unique player. Yes he scored 19 goals, but a lot of them were in bunches and he disappeared for stretches of games during the season.

He may be the fastest straight line skater in the NHL.

What kind of contract do you think he will sign?

Also, what value does he have in a trade?

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Just completely spitballing but what if like Nylander went to NJ (if they really can't sign him) and Wood + Severson + ??? went to Toronto. This looks to be probably really bad for Toronto but just something I thought of if it gets that bad for the parties for each team.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Just completely spitballing but what if like Nylander went to NJ (if they really can't sign him) and Wood + Severson + ??? went to Toronto. This looks to be probably really bad for Toronto but just something I thought of if it gets that bad for the parties for each team.

Without really thinking about it and taking a deep dive into the actual value of each player, I would be more interested in Shea Theodore. Yes, we need a RW as well, but defensemen are harder to find and we need an upgrade at LHD

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No disrespect but that offer would not work for the leafs. If we traded nylander to the devils it would be zacha+ty smith+. The devils probably dont wanna trade futures and leafs dont want to deal nylander unless we get a top 4 the nhl defender.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

No.... Nylander is two years younger than Wood with two seasons of double his production. They don't need depth wingers or depth D.

If Nylander moves it is in a "hockey" deal in a 1 for 1 Seth Jones - Johansen type trade.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
No disrespect but that offer would not work for the leafs. If we traded nylander to the devils it would be zacha+ty smith+. The devils probably dont wanna trade futures and leafs dont want to deal nylander unless we get a top 4 the nhl defender.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Wood seems to be a Zacha like player. Although Zacha has yet to hit his ceiling, I don’t think he’s far from it. Ty Smith looks really good, but I think that Severson is a serviceable comparison. Marginal difference between their projected outlooks.

Wood is completely underrated. The biggest knock you can say on a Woods - Zacha comparison is that Woods has a lower floor. I think their ceilings as M6 players are almost identical. Woods, at the moment, is just better at it. He’s a better skater, goal scorer, and forechecker than Zacha. While points/PPG are marginally different between the two... I think that the Woods (rights) + Severson is a better package than Zacha + Smith... that’s solely due to the NHL readiness of the two.

You’re offer of Smith + Zacha is actually, probably a better offer... due to trading the rights, and not the player signed, of Woods along with a young good looking Dman in Smith, but if I were Dubas... I’d be looking at a playoff run rather than 2 marginal difference makers bidding for a 2 year look. Really good return offer though!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not too worried yet, seems like both sides agreed that a bridge deal makes the most sense. Wood didn't have arbitration rights and can't sign an offer sheet, so the only leverage they have is to hold out. Meanwhile the Devils have a little bit of wing depth so somebody like John Quenneville might have extra motivation to try to win an opening night roster. I wouldn't expect the Devils to trade Wood, just the nature of this negotiation.

Reilly Smith was in a similar situation in the summer of 2014. He scored 20 goals / 51 points, but didn't have arbitration rights or the offer sheet route. Eventually signed a 1 year, 1.4 million dollar deal with Boston. Then he cashed in the following summer with a two year deal @ 3.425 mil/year.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Seeing as how Kase ended up with 3 x 2.6M AAV, I'd speculate Wood is probably shooting for something like 2.5M, and subsequently demanding probably somewhere closer to 3.5M.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I would do Martinez for Wood and a pick. Would allow the Kings to play Brickley full time and give them a killer speed line of Wood-Kempe-Iafallo.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I dont get why some Devils fans would consider trading this kid. He was the most improved player on the team last year and still has so much more room to grow. His ceiling is such an unknown its exciting.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He's basically Josh Anderson from last year. He had trouble signing his contract too.

That's a good comparable that I forgot about. Slight difference with Anderson having a couple more years of pro service under his belt.

2016-17 Anderson (age 22): 78 games, 17 goals, 12 assists
2017-18 Wood (age 22): 76 games, 19 goals, 13 assists

Anderson ended up signing a three year deal on October 2nd last year. Still think a 1 or 2 year deal makes sense for Wood.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
No.... Nylander is two years younger than Wood with two seasons of double his production. They don't need depth wingers or depth D.

If Nylander moves it is in a "hockey" deal in a 1 for 1 Seth Jones - Johansen type trade.
Alright alright devil fans too, no reason to make this a Nylander thread. Personally don’t give a shit about him lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He has been looking like a steal at 40 based on the way he is playing at camp. Easily should have been a top 20-25 pick
Absolutely. He has NHL speed, looks to have NHL smarts. Hasn't just been keeping up, but setting the pace a lot of the time, although not at full NHL speed yet. He absolutely is looking like a steal.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That's a good comparable that I forgot about. Slight difference with Anderson having a couple more years of pro service under his belt.

2016-17 Anderson (age 22): 78 games, 17 goals, 12 assists
2017-18 Wood (age 22): 76 games, 19 goals, 13 assists

Anderson ended up signing a three year deal on October 2nd last year. Still think a 1 or 2 year deal makes sense for Wood.
The big difference is Wood was playing high school hockey at age 19 so you could argue his game isnt as advanced as Andersons was. If he makes the same leap in play this year that he did last year, than watch out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->