Podcast (Audio) Milbury on Bob McCown

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Was never a real MM hater, always found him pretty entertaining. Wasn’t a great GM, but pretty interesting 50 minutes with him.

discuss the NBC incident, he tells the shoe story in detail and some on the Isles and dealing with the owners…

“We didn’t come close to winning a Stanley Cup, but I got paid”

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Was never a real MM hater, always found him pretty entertaining. Wasn’t a great GM, but pretty interesting 50 minutes with him.

discuss the NBC incident, he tells the shoe story in detail and some on the Isles and dealing with the owners…

Saying I’m a hater would be unkind and inaccurate but let’s call a spade a spade here.

He’s easily the worst Isles’ GM ever and arguably the worst GM in NHL history.

Piss poor analyst too btw.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT

f*** this clown and the shoe he rode in on.

but I got paid. f*** you, buddy. Go collect a check somewhere else. Not on my team you f***in piece of shit.

Last edited:

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Love him or hate him ( I like him ) ... he should never have been fired for those comments ... Woke warriors win and ruin a mans livelihood ... If your good with that then I don't like you either !!

Reactions: goal1228 and JKP

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Love him or hate him ( I like him ) ... he should never have been fired for those comments ... Woke warriors win and ruin a mans livelihood ... If your good with that then I don't like you either !!
i would've just fired him for being a terrible personality during the intermissions, but he's more tolerable than someone like AJ who really doesn't know much on what's happening during the game and makes some crap up

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Terrible GM- but always did think MM cared. I know some folks from business that had some post-NYI dealings w/him and they were all pretty adamant that though he’s always a Bruin first and foremost- he still pulls for NYI to do well.

Okposofan21

Jan 5, 2009
New York, New York
Terrible GM- but always did think MM cared. I know some folks from business that had some post-NYI dealings w/him and they were all pretty adamant that though he’s always a Bruin first and foremost- he still pulls for NYI to do well.

I think he did care. I worked concessions at the coliseum from ‘98-‘01 while I was in high school. I met him one late night leaving the building - close to midnight or shortly after. All of the doors around the concourse were locked and I wasn’t sure how I was going to get out to the parking lot where my dad was waiting. After walking around for 10-15 minutes - I see him and his wife leaving and he told me to follow him up the side ramp. He laughed and told asked me what isn’t it a school night. Wished me well and he was on his way. He seemed like a decent guy even after a game where I believe they got blown out lol.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I think he did care. I worked concessions at the coliseum from ‘98-‘01 while I was in high school. I met him one late night leaving the building - close to midnight or shortly after. All of the doors around the concourse were locked and I wasn’t sure how I was going to get out to the parking lot where my dad was waiting. After walking around for 10-15 minutes - I see him and his wife leaving and he told me to follow him up the side ramp. He laughed and told asked me what isn’t it a school night. Wished me well and he was on his way. He seemed like a decent guy even after a game where I believe they got blown out lol.

Knew the guy was pulling duties as coach and GM at the same time, didn't know he was responsible for locking the place up at the end of the night too!

Reactions: Islander Class

Okposofan21

Jan 5, 2009
New York, New York
Knew the guy was pulling duties as coach and GM at the same time, didn't know he was responsible for locking the place up at the end of the night too!

lol that’s hilarious. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. Once the fans left, the employees left shortly after. I loved working most of the events even though the hours were crappy. It contributed to me going to college though.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
lol that’s hilarious. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. Once the fans left, the employees left shortly after. I loved working most of the events even though the hours were crappy. It contributed to me going to college though.

Sounds like a fun job. Probably easier on the nights there were only 6,000 fans in the building, too.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Cry me a river. f*** him. I welcome any misfortune that gets tossed his way.

Reactions: nyisles

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
One of the interesting parts was that according to Milbury, they had a deal with the Bruins lined up that would send Scatchard and the Isles 1st round pick to the Bruins in exchange for Jason Allison. Milbury says he called Wang to tell him the deal was basically done, and Wang told him the deal wasn't going to happen; Scatchard was the type of player the Islanders wanted because he did things like children's charity. Milbury said getting the news from Wang that the deal wasn't going to happen reinforced an attitude that he would just do what he needed to do to protect his job.

As an aside I remember the stories about Scatchard doing things like keeping in touch with and befriending some unfortunate kids:

HOCKEY; An Islander Honors the Boy In His Heart (Published 2000)

Looks like the media from the time lends support to the Islanders looking at Allison, too:

HOCKEY; Oilers Pass on Lindros; Islanders Eye Allison (Published 2001)

2nd aside: Scatchard was really in trouble from his concussions:

From NHL Hockey Player to Life Coach, Dave Scatchard Is Transforming the Way People Live

I remember hearing a story from Scatchard about how during his time on the Islanders, he went into the locker room between periods and started yelling at the guys that they shouldn't be losing and needed to pick up their game. The problem was that they were winning and he was dealing with the affects of a concussion that warped his reality. Don't remember where I got that from, might have been an interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKP and bigtim1988

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
TBH pretty relatable to us ordinary folks.

How many of us go through jobs where we're just barely competent enough to not be fired from? As long as the paychecks keep on rolling in, who really cares?
He talks about a trade he wanted to make that Wang vetoed that involved Scatchard. And that’s where the comment came from. He wanted to keep his job.

Thank god we have good owners and Lou. :)

Reactions: bigtim1988

Okposofan21

Jan 5, 2009
New York, New York
similar to Snow. Wang was loyal to a fault. Had relationships with guys and gave them way too much slack

Wang was loyal to guys who would never push back. I get it - you are the owner and you get the ultimate last say but you have to let the hockey guys make hockey decisions. Everyone who worked for Wang was a puppet in his game. Ledecky and Malkin brought in Lou. Enough said

Reactions: bigtim1988

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I will always maintain that if Milbury was never hired to be our GM, he'd probably be thought of by NYI fans as a fan favorite of sorts. Sure his teams didn't win, but he was animated behind the bench and he gave great quotes.

Sure his GMing set us back, but honestly, it was more of an issue with unstable owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad