Milbury: NHL Players being misled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spisles0218,0,869271.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

One particular part of the article caught my eye:

The NHL vowed it will play a 2005-06 season, but whether that includes NHLPA players remains uncertain. "We want our players back; I don't want replacement players," Milbury said. "But there are other options."

I wonder what other 'options' he could be referring to?

Edit: Actually, upon further review he may just have been referring to the possibility of replacement players as an option. Who knows? :dunno:

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
it's funny how crap like this gets posted on here every day, and 85% of the people on here buy it like it's the word of God. milbury reports directly to the isles' owner, which makes his perspective skewed and void of credibility. correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt he the genius that signed yashin to that contract?

the bottom line- the players are being unreasonable AND the owners are being unreasonable.

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
I'm not sure if and how it can be possible (I'm not a legal expert) but given the apparent dissension between the players and after Bettman's press conference where he said there will be a draft before the NHL starts again, I'm wondering if the following could be done. Some how sign a deal with a new "union" or some part of the old players' union and then fill the rosters with rookies and AHL players. That would give something like this:
300-400 players from the former union
100 rookies from 2004 and 2005 draft
200-300 fringe players from minor leagues

Is there a legal way to do that? Then the NHL could just watch the players cross the line until only McCabe and co remain playing in the UHL...

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
bhawk24bob said:
it's funny how crap like this gets posted on here every day, and 85% of the people on here buy it like it's the word of God. milbury reports directly to the isles' owner, which makes his perspective skewed and void of credibility. correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt he the genius that signed yashin to that contract?

the bottom line- the players are being unreasonable AND the owners are being unreasonable.

Well, Wang has offered the PA to look at his books twice, but it was declined. Also, I don't see Milbury trying to screw the players, he's still very attached to his years as a player himself. That doesn't make him a good GM, but it doesn't mean that what he says is crap...

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
bhawk24bob said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt he the genius that signed yashin to that contract?

Milbury played messenger during the Yashin contract negotiations. One of Charles Wang's first major personnel decisions was the Yashin 10-year deal contract, and I'm sure he can admit it was a mistake now. But Wang told Milbury to offer Yashin that contract, and Milbury did. I'm obviously not saying milbury is a genious, because I'm sure he had some say in the matter. But hey, it's not like Yashin's getting paid now though.

But you are right, BOTH sides have been unreasonable and both sides have destroyed the sport.

myrocketsgotcracked

bhawk24bob said:

what i find funny is how every single article posted here are "crap" to some people just because they disagree with it (this applies to both the pro-nhl and pro-nhlpa sides). seems like every person commenting on the nhl lockout is biased and lack credibility, whether it be the players, owners, hall of famers (like lafleur), writers, talk show host, tv show host, etc. somehow everybody that speaks out have some sort of personal agenda, and its never possible that they just say what they really think.
and by the way, what does yashin's contract have anything to do with the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad