MiLB getting makeover

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
These greedy pigs are going to end up turning the sport into what boxing or horse racing are today: Nitch sports where non-old people only care about it on a handful of occasion every year.

Sep 19, 2008
The local club in Hagerstown recently cut ties with the Nats. Very sad. The stadium was old and one of those up for removal (along with Frederick which is still around).

Sep 19, 2008
That being said I will still continue to go to MiLB games when they allow attendance again because I need my nifty giveaways :rant:

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
^^
tenor.gif

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Braves announced they are keeping the same three affiliates (Gwinnett, Mississippi, and Rome) and adding the Augusta Greenjackets which will now be their low-A team.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Sep 19, 2008
Most teams have announced their affiliations today. Orioles lost Frederick (which was on the verge of being removed anyway) and Nationals took Wilmington.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I missed that the dust had settled on this...oi.

The list of things I'd spend my money on before independent baseball consists of just about everything I'd be willing to pay for. Good luck with that, leagues that are no longer part of the umbrella.

The Yankees killing a couple teams to promote an independent team from a bedroom suburb makes me queasy, too.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I missed that the dust had settled on this...oi.

The list of things I'd spend my money on before independent baseball consists of just about everything I'd be willing to pay for. Good luck with that, leagues that are no longer part of the umbrella.

The Yankees killing a couple teams to promote an independent team from a bedroom suburb makes me queasy, too.

20 years ago I went to an Atlantic League game in Nashua and was dumbfounded to see this guy playing for Atlantic City

SierraRuben-TEX.jpg

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
RIP Pacific Coast League (1903-2019)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I don’t believe mlb owns the trademarks to the historic league names. The national association still exists as a business entity at the moment.

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The bus ride from Greenville, SC to Fishkill, NY will be fun

At least at the Triple-A levels I'm hearing that this season, at least, there'll only play within the divisions much like the NHL is doing this season. I'd imagine the High-A East might also be a league where that would be the case. Not so sure about leagues with a little more geographic proximity/cohesiveness, like, say, the Low-A East.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
At least under the old system (not sure with MLB's changes as part of the PDLs) I believe there was a scheduling out where if they traveled over 500 miles they had to have a scheduled day off. Again, not sure what the new system is like but I recall that being one of the reasons the Carolina Mudcats initially opted to drop from Double-A to High-A and go from being a geographic outlier in the Southern League to being in the much more geographically advantageous Carolina League.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
At least at the Triple-A levels I'm hearing that this season, at least, there'll only play within the divisions much like the NHL is doing this season. I'd imagine the High-A East might also be a league where that would be the case. Not so sure about leagues with a little more geographic proximity/cohesiveness, like, say, the Low-A East.
I wouldn't be surprised if Trenton works its way into the high a east at some point. I heard on a podcast that several teams would have considered putting a affiliate in Trenton but there wasn't any time to negotiate.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I still can't get over how much I despise every aspect of this.

Towns of ~30,000 got promoted to affiliated ball while 11 entire states (9 realistic ones, with due respect to Hawai'i & Alaska) are left with 0 affiliated/fully professional teams. Baseball is hell bent on becoming even more regional than it has been trending for a generation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->