Value of: Milan Michalek

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Milan Michalek is a solid overall player but he's not a fit in Toronto.

We're looking to get younger so we can give guys like Gauthier and Brown a full time roster spot this season.

Is there a time out there who could use a solid third liner who can more than comfortably slot in your top 6 due to injuries?

A future 2nd rounder will be an ideal return.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Milan Michalek is a solid overall player but he's not a fit in Toronto.

We're looking to get younger so we can give guys like Gauthier and Brown a full time roster spot this season.

Is there a time out there who could use a solid third liner who can more than comfortably slot in your top 6 due to injuries?

A future 2nd rounder will be an ideal return.

As of right now, I doubt he lands a 2nd. Probably a 3rd or 4th. If you retained 50%, a 2nd is within reach.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
As of right now, I doubt he lands a 2nd. Probably a 3rd or 4th. If you retained 50%, a 2nd is within reach.

Hm to be honest it's nice to know people still see him as a decent piece.
If you listen to the troglodytes he is a useless plug.

I could see the leafs use him in a similar role to parenteau last season. Hopefully a decent deadline return.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be comfortable in a deal for a back up or if a team offered a 4th-7th round pick. We just need the room up front roster wise...

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Don't rush the plan. Keep Michalek until the TDL. No need to move him now. You can't give roster spots to the kids...they have to earn it. Neither Bown nor Gauthier has earned anything yet. There will be injuries..they will get their shot later this year. Don't rush. Sit tight. Get another top 5 pick next year and go up feom there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't rush the plan. Keep Michalek until the TDL. No need to move him now. You can't give roster spots to the kids...they have to earn it. Neither Bown nor Gauthier has earned anything yet. There will be injuries..they will get their shot later this year. Don't rush. Sit tight. Get another top 5 pick next year and go up feom there.

Gauthier isn't ready but Connor Brown definitely is ready.

I tried to do up a top 9 that didn't expose the kids too much.

JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Greening-Matthews-Nylander

3rd line is where you have less vets but it'll be fine at that point. Just kind of illustrates how we don't really have room for a guy like Michalek right now.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He'll be a good pickup for someone at the deadline, definitely could return a 2nd rounder if he's having a decent season. His value is entirely dependent on his production, which right now, is not ideal for his salary. A 1st is not out of the question if he gets enough playing time and is on pace for 25-30 goals.

Right now though, why would a GM give up draft picks in the offseason for a guy who costs more than equal players available via Free Agency?

Toronto's best option is probably to wait until injuries hit in mid-season and teams with deep pockets and playoff aspirations that have cap flexibility but need some depth. Philly, NYR, etc..

Also, he isn't really blocking anyone in Toronto. By mid-season there will be plenty of injuries that any Toronto prospects that need playing time will get it. Having Michalek could be a great mentor to some young guys and provide depth and experience to keep the team competitive. You don't want players developing when they're "in above their head", it can create some bad habits.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown

3rd line is where you have less vets but it'll be fine at that point. Just kind of illustrates how we don't really have room for a guy like Michalek right now.

I'd say unless they find a taker for Michalek, he's playing top 6. He played decent for the Leafs last year, and I believe we specifically asked for him in the Phaneuf deal. Either that means he can get something decent back in a trade at some point in the near future (i.e. a 2nd) or we want him to mentor the young guys until the deadline and try to move him at that point.

I don't see many young guys in the lineup. Matthews, Nylander, maybe Marner and a 4th liner (Rychel, Leivo or Hyman). That's it. Nobody on defense and nobody in net.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site

JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown

I think Brown has great upside and will become a full time NHL player this year. But since he is waiver exempt for another year he will get pushed down. Or Marner will go back to London. Or both.

You have guys that will also get NHL spots...Holland, Martin, Laich, Michalek, Hyman, Sosh, Rychel, Leivo and maybe even Lupul still. Your lines would be awesome...and great to watch....but guys who can be sent down will. By the end of the year...completely different story.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Brown has great upside and will become a full time NHL player this year. But since he is waiver exempt for another year he will get pushed down. Or Marner will go back to London. Or both.

You have guys that will also get NHL spots...Holland, Martin, Laich, Michalek, Hyman, Sosh, Rychel and maybe even Lupul still. Your lines would be awesome...and great to watch....but guys who can be sent down will. By the end of the year...completely different story.

I'd say unless they find a taker for Michalek, he's playing top 6. He played decent for the Leafs last year, and I believe we specifically asked for him in the Phaneuf deal. Either that means he can get something decent back in a trade at some point in the near future (i.e. a 2nd) or we want him to mentor the young guys until the deadline and try to move him at that point.

I don't see many young guys in the lineup. Matthews, Nylander, maybe Marner and a 4th liner (Rychel, Leivo or Hyman). That's it. Nobody on defense and nobody in net.

I don't see Holland around, Babcock didn't care for him too much.

I care about developing Brown over keeping Michalek around more, the way I see it at this point, Brown did his time in the AHL, now it's time we get him some NHL time. He put up 6 pts in 7GP, never looked out of place, let's start giving our own kids some time.

Obviously if he proves unworthy of a roster spot at training camp you send him down but he left a positive impression from the playoffs in the AHL and his NHL stint.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
I don't see Holland around, Babcock didn't care for him too much.

I care about developing Brown over keeping Michalek around more, the way I see it at this point, Brown did his time in the AHL, now it's time we get him some NHL time. He put up 6 pts in 7GP, never looked out of place, let's start giving our own kids some time.

Obviously if he proves unworthy of a roster spot at training camp you send him down but he left a positive impression from the playoffs in the AHL and his NHL stint.

They qualified Holland...so he is staying for now. Could have just as easily walked away from him if he didn't fit the picture.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They qualified Holland...so he is staying for now. Could have just as easily walked away from him if he didn't fit the picture.

He's a quality trade piece, could just as easily be moved in a 2 for 1 deal or for a back up goaltender.

Just based on Babcock's comments I don't see him back.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lets keep everyone down until their waiver exemption runs out which either forces them to stick then and there or be lost like Colbourne, and Leivo is about to be. And lets especially do this to keep someone like Michalek on the team so we can maybe get a pick for him, but maybe not like Parenteau. Huzzah!!!!

When players are ready they stay here. Brown is ready. Holding him back because you want to keep Michalek in hopes of getting a 2nd is foolish. But hey maybe when 2017/18 comes here and we have to lose Brown because he can't find a spot then and we didn't give him a chance earlier like Percy and maybe Leivo we can blame it on his injury issues. Worked for Percy, and seems to be a pretty solid excuse we can use when we lose Leivo too.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It will be hard to move him and get anything of value unless the Leafs retain salary or take a bad contract back. He's probably a third liner at this point, and I don't know many teams who would want to pay a third line player 4 million a year and give up something of value as well.

You'll probably be able to trade him at the deadline though.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Lets keep everyone down until their waiver exemption runs out which either forces them to stick then and there or be lost like Colbourne, and Leivo is about to be. And lets especially do this to keep someone like Michalek on the team so we can maybe get a pick for him, but maybe not like Parenteau. Huzzah!!!!

When players are ready they stay here. Brown is ready. Holding him back because you want to keep Michalek in hopes of getting a 2nd is foolish. But hey maybe when 2017/18 comes here and we have to lose Brown because he can't find a spot then and we didn't give him a chance earlier like Percy and maybe Leivo we can blame it on his injury issues. Worked for Percy, and seems to be a pretty solid excuse we can use when we lose Leivo too.

Take a step back...neither Percy nor Leivo could make the last place team last year...and you are worrying about not giving them a shot. Both Leivo and Percy had 3 pro seasons to make the club. Could they still become NHL players...maybe...likelihood is extremely low.

And you want to give a guy who played 7 NHL games a roster spot? 7 games. Sure he looked good in half of those games, but it is still a small sample size. Kid has high upside. I would put him in the line up before Marner. But you know Babs like to season his kids in the AHL. Go and look and see what he did with Tatar, Nyquist, and Pulkkinen...left them in the AHL until they were more than ready. Expext nothing different now. And be thankful for it. That's how you build a winner.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O

JVR-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown

If you think Colin freakin' Greening would play over Milan, you need to give a head a shake. And you can't put too many kids all in the lineup and throw them to the wolves all at once, that's how you become the Oilers.

Unless you are planning on tanking, yet again. Then by all means, play Greening 20 minutes a night.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If you think Colin freakin' Greening would play over Milan, you need to give a head a shake. And you can't put too many kids all in the lineup and throw them to the wolves all at once, that's how you become the Oilers.

Unless you are planning on tanking, yet again. Then by all means, play Greening 20 minutes a night.

3rd line players don't play 20 minutes a night. Greening actually did well in Toronto. 15 points in 30 games. Not too shabby.

Having guys like Michalek, Laich and Greening is good in the short term because they can help out the young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad