Milan Lucic Appreciation thread! (Mod warning post #46)

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Wishing Milan all the best to him and I'd like to thank him for his time on the Oilers.

Lucic's time in Edmonton has come to a close. His first season here was something special for this club. The first playoffs in a whole damn decade.

He met all expectations his first year here and was spectacular towards the end of the 2016-17 season. He didn't have a great playoff run that year but he was still a bookend of confidence for the team playing against the Sharks and Ducks. And lest we forget his postgame comments after the game 5 tying interference goal. That came after game 4's controversial call of a good goal. I don't remember anyone shouting out about those two BS goals. But I do remember Lucic did.

That season the Oilers were built to be a big tough team and they lived up to expectations and exceeded them. Milan was the absolute alpha male leading the way and it gave the club the confidence it needed for a successful year. It sure was a exciting time.

Not too keen on him heading on down the QE2 playing for our arch rivals but the deal is done and it's time to move on.

What other positive comments would we like to add? Keep classy Oilers fans, negativity can be posted in the trade thread.

milan-lucic-27-of-the-edmonton-oilers-against-the-winnipe.jpeg

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Excited when he signed here and thought/hoped the Oilers would get four or five years out of him before things really went south. Obviously that didn't happen but I've got no issues with him. He helped the team break the playoff drought.

His play pre- and post-Christmas 2017 is one of the oddest things I've seen happen to an athlete though. He was great heading into the break (23 points in 28 games) and then a week later couldn't handle the puck or keep up. His career derailed in like four days.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was happy when he signed here, didn't expect his play to fall off so quick.

Wish him the best.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I was also happy he signed was thinking we get a good 4 years out of him before he hit the wall. Unfortunately, that didn't happen but I wish him well. That first season was awesome to watch and hope he can overcome the mental health issues he was struggling with.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was a massive Lucic fan and was thrilled he was coming to Edmonton. Year One = First Playoffs in a decade. Thought he’d have a good 3-4 year run before he fell off.

He plays for the Flames now so I can’t wish him the best but I won’t be mean spirited about it. Instead I will just continue to enjoy the watchful Tkachuk Turtle Show and laugh when he runs and hides behind Milan after pulling his usual rat boy act.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yah! I was at that game. The hit really turned the game around. It was a shame the Oilers lost it in the shoot out but Looch had an impact in that one. He even scored the game tying goal.

I was there as well. It was why we signed him. Too bad it didn’t last past a year and a half.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Best of luck.

It's really hard to not like him and really, really wish he would have pulled it together/rebounded to the player we all hoped he'd be. I always wanted that, even before a trade...but I think we can all agree it wasn't really happening and it became obvious he didn't fit so well.

I have no sour feelings toward him at all. It's his contract that was the problem.

I wish him the best, and I'm quite sure he'll score against us a whole because that's how it works.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Yep, this was his best game as an Oiler. Threw a couple huge hits, got in a fight and scored a goal that game.

My 2nd favourite Looch moment was last year against Calgary when Tkachuk was doing his thing - mauled Connor after a whistle, targeted him on another play. 10 minutes later Looch absolutely railroaded Giordano and the game completely calmed down after that.
Yah! I was at that game. The hit really turned the game around. It was a shame the Oilers lost it in the shoot out but Looch had an impact in that one. He even scored the game tying goal.

Me too. Went home after the game and immediately tried to catch the highlights to see it all again. He was a force that night.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Even though the signing didn’t work out, Lucic was the first name player to sign here as a top FA in a long time.

Best wishes to Looch, hope he regains some semblance of a career, except of course vs. the Oilers

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I am glad that he’ s ‘looking forward to playing in meaningful games throughout the year. ‘ Maybe if he had earned any of his pay some of those late season games for the Oil would have been meaningful.

He seems like a decent enough guy and I know he’s had some personal hardships so I wish him well but I’m much happier for the Oilers to be rid of him than I am happy for him to get a new start.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Seems like a good guy and I'll miss his confused look behind the bench after being administered a penalty.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wish no player but the best when they leave. I hope he can find more happiness somewhere else.

I really have a hard time appreciating anything he did here though. With the way the cap is in sports, it makes it very hard not to be critical of underperforming athletes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Best of luck to Milan. He tried but didn't work out.
Posters who have nothing positive to say can also gtfo of this thread.

Reactions: Jet Walters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think Lucic let this team down. He was just not the right skill set for us.

Surprisingly, he was no meat head either. He was a very thoughtful speaker and knowledgable about the game.

And of course, he wasn't lording over us about that NMC and was willing to be reasonable about it. He is a good competitor and so his poor performance likely ate him up inside.

So I hope he is a big success for Calgary, although I would like everything else there to just apart, lol.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I was always a big fan of Lucic and loved the signing originally, considering how bad Oilers players got bullied and run over with no pushback.

I still had major hope for him at the start of last season and defended him especially when he scored in the season opener, despite the loss to NJ. What really soured me on him was he did nothing when Doughty elbowed McDavid. That was it for me and I was finished with him as an Oiler. What he did do against the Lightning player was funny and worth the fine (suspension too if I recall right), but it was one of those rare nights where "Old Milan" showed up. The one we were expecting to see 75% of the season, not 7.5% of the season.

I do wish him and his family the best in Calgary and I do appreciate him waiving his clause to go there as I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing to do.

We need a Jarome Iginla appreciation thread now as it was him that seemingly gave Lucic the final shove to waive for Calgary :laugh:.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
One of my favorite players of all time. I still have husband jersey I bought back in 09 that I wear in the winter often. Sad he didn’t work out here but it is what it is. From September 2016 to December 2017 he was a great player for us. Good luck Milan!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad